Is The US Losing The Education War?

I feel like the U.S. is way behind when it comes to internet defenses and programming and hacking and everything related to that. It's just a gut feeling though. But assuming my gut feeling is right I think a lot of it is to do with our pre-University education. I've talked about this in lots of topics but China focuses on the best of the best when they're going through school and it's a big competition to find the smartest people and only they are allowed to attend the best schools after high school. In the U.S., although in some ways it's laudable, our attitude is that everyone should be included. We put lots of money towards the disadvantaged, like people who are mentally challenged or mentally ill. On one hand I don't want that to change. On the other hand I think we'll eventually be left behind when it comes to science and technology. And I have no idea what, if anything, should be done about it.

On top of that... going on what little knowledge I have on the branches of the military, any of the branches that are involved in intelligence should maybe think of having different physical requirements or added incentives so the super-brilliant will want to join. I'm talking people who will never be asked to go out and physically be on the ground. I don't know how much intelligence stuff the military does and how much is left up to the CIA. I do know if you have a degree you're automatically an E3 (or something like that) in a few of the branches.

It was like 3 years ago that I looked into this when I was thinking of joining for about 3 months. There's this female army recruiter in Lincoln who's like 45 and she has to be the best at her job of anyone else in the universe in any other job. I talked to her for 25 minutes and she made me want her to be my best friend and to join the army just to please her.

This isn't really related and maybe I should make a post about it but I'm just kinda rambling.

But I feel like the U.S. is way behind when it comes to internet defenses and programming and hacking and everything related to that. It's just a gut feeling though. But assuming my gut feeling is right I think a lot of it is to do with our pre-University education. I've talked about this in lots of topics but China focuses on the best of the best when they're going through school and it's a big competition to find the smartest people and only they are allowed to attend the best schools after high school. In the U.S., although in some ways it's laudable, our attitude is that everyone should be included. We put lots of money towards the disadvantaged, like people who are mentally challenged or mentally ill. On one hand I don't want that to change. On the other hand I think we'll eventually be left behind when it comes to science and technology. And I have no idea what, if anything, should be done about it.

On top of that... going on what little knowledge I have on the branches of the military, any of the branches that are involved in intelligence should maybe think of having different physical requirements or added incentives so the super-brilliant will want to join. I'm talking people who will never be asked to go out and physically be on the ground. I don't know how much intelligence stuff the military does and how much is left up to the CIA. I do know if you have a degree you're automatically an E3 (or something like that) in a few of the branches.

It was like 3 years ago that I looked into this when I was thinking of joining for about 3 months. There's this female army recruiter in Lincoln who's like 45 and she has to be the best at her job of anyone else in the universe in any other job. I talked to her for 25 minutes and she made me want her to be my best friend and to join the army just to please her.

I think you're gut feeling is most likely wrong just because the computer stuff is a war that's fought in the shadows. You don't hear about that stuff unless something goes wrong. Our intelligence community (both civilian and military activities) have world class people working for them. The "super brilliant" aren't going to join the military because more often than not they're going to be approached by our IC and be recruited. Are there people out there that may be more skilled? Most likely, but it's not like we've got a bunch of idiots working for us. We're in good hands.

But I feel like the U.S. is way behind when it comes to internet defenses and programming and hacking and everything related to that. It's just a gut feeling though. But assuming my gut feeling is right I think a lot of it is to do with our pre-University education. I've talked about this in lots of topics but China focuses on the best of the best when they're going through school and it's a big competition to find the smartest people and only they are allowed to attend the best schools after high school. In the U.S., although in some ways it's laudable, our attitude is that everyone should be included. We put lots of money towards the disadvantaged, like people who are mentally challenged or mentally ill. On one hand I don't want that to change. On the other hand I think we'll eventually be left behind when it comes to science and technology. And I have no idea what, if anything, should be done about it.

I believe pre-University schools need to do a better job of offering programming and other computer science classes and that we need to invest more money into education in general but I don't think providing an education to the disadvantaged is part of the problem. I think not providing them with an education would result in us spending more money on welfare and our prison system by diminishing the possibility that these individuals become productive members of society.

I believe pre-University schools need to do a better job of offering programming and other computer science classes and that we need to invest more money into education in general but I don't think providing an education to the disadvantaged is part of the problem. I think not providing them with an education would result in us spending more money on welfare and our prison system by diminishing the possibility that these individuals become productive members of society.

It might not be a big factor. I just find it an interesting contrast between our school of thought and China's.

I think we should invest more into computer systems and science, I believe people on here have posted graphs on how slow our internet is compared to other nations as well.

As our country goes more to online shopping for almost anything and everything cyber terrorism is going to take over, could you image the rage if Russia was able to shut down internet access on cyber Monday?

Programming/coding should be considered as a "language' and be offered as a way of realizing that requirement. I know there are some states pushing for this.

Millennials get a lot of sh#t from older generations for being spoiled, sensitive, etc. While a lot of that might be true, there are also some quality attributes found within these kids.... A lot of them are f*****g smart. And to go with that intelligence, a lot of them have confidence, and ambition to burn.... I still have some faith in this country, along with the people in it. It might be naive of me, but I still feel there is something inherently special about being an American.

If anyone is interested, Warren Buffett had a few thoughts on the future of this country in his yearly letter to shareholders... Worth a read if you haven't already.

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2016/02/27/warren-buffetts-letter-to-berkshire-shareholders-live-analysis/

I found this quote particularly interesting, and hopeful.

“For 240 years it’s been a terrible mistake to bet against America, and now is no time to start. America’s golden goose of commerce and innovation will continue to lay more and larger eggs.”

Millennials get a lot of sh#t from older generations for being spoiled, sensitive, etc.

To be fair, humans have been saying that about the younger generations since we controlled fire. And maybe before that.

That lazy bum kid is so lazy he uses that new thing they call a wheel to move that fire wood.

We carried it piece by piece on our heads up hill in snow both ways.

• Fire 1

Millennials get a lot of sh#t from older generations for being spoiled, sensitive, etc.

To be fair, humans have been saying that about the younger generations since we controlled fire. And maybe before that.

And if there is any truth to the sentiment it's because of the actions of the generation bitching about it.

And if there is any truth to the sentiment it's because of the actions of the generation bitching about it.

To be fair, humans have been saying this about the older generations since we controlled fire. And maybe before that.

I don't totally agree with that.

I also don't agree that we are losing any war on education.

I do have some frustrations like have been mentioned here.

As a whole, we don't have a horrible education system like some think.

I don't totally agree with that.

I also don't agree that we are losing any war on education.

I fo have some frustrations like have been mentioned here.

Nurses a whole, we don't have a horrible education system like some think.

Uh...
  • Fire 1