2016 RPI

I thought the RPI was simply a calculation using a formula based on who you have played and won and loss.

Is this a voted on thing? If not, coming from behind..etc. shouldn't matter.

The RPI isn't a voted thing. You are right in that it's a calculation, based on who you have played, your record, and your opponents' records.

I don't get why people are freaking out over 2 comeback wins against Illinois. A win is a win, especially in baseball. It's a 9 inning game for a reason. Did people want to take away the Royals' World Series title last year because of all their comeback wins?

I thought the RPI was simply a calculation using a formula based on who you have played and won and loss.

The RPI isn't a voted thing. You are right in that it's a calculation, based on who you have played, your record, and your opponents' records.

I don't get why people are freaking out over 2 comeback wins against Illinois. A win is a win, especially in baseball. It's a 9 inning game for a reason. Did people want to take away the Royals' World Series title last year because of all their comeback wins?

Comparing coming from behind against Illinois to coming from behind against ANY pro team is just plain silly.

From wiki, not sure how accurate it is.. I assume it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rating_Percentage_Index

Baseball formula

The formula used in NCAA baseball is the same as that used in basketball except for the adjustment of home and road records. Starting in 2013, college baseball RPI formula values each road victory as 1.3 instead of 1.0. Each home win is valued at 0.7 instead of 1.0. Conversely, each home loss counts 1.3 against a team’s RPI and each road loss counts 0.7 against a team’s RPI. Neutral-site games have a value of 1.0, but the committee is studying how to determine if a game should be considered a neutral-site contest. The adjustment is based on data showing that home teams win about 62 percent of the time in Division I baseball."[3] The change was made because of the discrepancy in the number of home games teams play. Some schools are able to play 35-40 of their 56 allowable games at home, while other teams, due to factors such as weather, may play only 20 home games.

This adjustment replaces the current system of bonuses or penalties that teams receive. Bonus points are awarded for beating top-75 non-conference opponents on the road and penalty points are given for losing to bottom-75 non-conference opponents at home. Bonuses and penalties are on a sliding scale, separated into groups of 25, with the top bonus for a road win against a top-25 team and the worst penalty for a home loss to a bottom-25 opponent.[3]

Comparing coming from behind against Illinois to coming from behind against ANY pro team is just plain silly.

Baseball is baseball. There are some games where the better team isn't going to dominate from the opening pitch.

Baseball is baseball. There are some games where the better team isn't going to dominate from the opening pitch.

Pro baseball is totally different than college. Pro pays to get the best of the best.

Pro baseball is totally different than college. Pro pays to get the best of the best.

I know pro baseball has the best of the best. I'm not an idiot. But, there are also baseball games at all levels where the "better team" will struggle against a lesser team.

This conversation is silly. Illinois is a middle of the road big ten team. They won a series against another big 10 team that is in the top 3rd of the standings. Not sure how that is any different then one pro team that is above average winning by coming from behind against a team in their division that is a few spots lower in that same division. Who scored x amount of runs in which inning has zero weight when it comes to RPI rankings.

• Fire 1

I'm not going to complain about any wins but I am worried about how well this style of winning will translate as the season progresses. I'm not sure we can count on scoring 8-9 runs every game to get wins. If we can, that would be awesome. But the way our pitching has been so far, I'm not sure how we'll hold up if we aren't scoring as well.

I'm not going to complain about any wins but I am worried about how well this style of winning will translate as the season progresses. I'm not sure we can count on scoring 8-9 runs every game to get wins. If we can, that would be awesome. But the way our pitching has been so far, I'm not sure how we'll hold up if we aren't scoring as well.

The amount of walks the pitching staff gives up is very concerning. A pitcher's job is to throw strikes, and they aren't getting it done at certain times this year. I haven't seen or listened to many games this year, so I don't know if the pitchers are nibbling or trying to be to fine. Sometimes, the pitchers just have to pound the strike zone, pitch to contact, and count on the defense making the play.

The amount of walks the pitching staff gives up is very concerning. A pitcher's job is to throw strikes, and they aren't getting it done at certain times this year. I haven't seen or listened to many games this year, so I don't know if the pitchers are nibbling or trying to be to fine. Sometimes, the pitchers just have to pound the strike zone, pitch to contact, and count on the defense making the play.

Walking 12 batters in a game can't continue.