Boyd Epley's role with Husker football team expanding

At the request of coach Mike Riley, Boyd Epley Nebraska's author of "Husker Power" and now associate athletic director for strength and conditioning will have an expanded role with the NU football program focused on injury prevention.

Riley confirmed Thursday that he'd reached out in recent weeks to Epley who was Nebraska's head strength coach for 35 years to come up with some ideas on injury prevention, specifically the groin and hamstring issues that have dogged Husker wide receivers, defensive backs and linebackers over the last calendar year. Riley said his teams have long struggled with those injuries at the beginning of any training period whether it be spring or fall camp and he'd like Epley's input.

Also some extremely interesting comments from Epley regarding athleticism on the football team that I hadn't seen before.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/boyd-epley-s-role-with-husker-football-team-expanding/article_83e84c98-f798-11e5-971d-b3ff55375e27.html?mode=jqm

• Fire 1

At the request of coach Mike Riley, Boyd Epley Nebraska's author of "Husker Power" and now associate athletic director for strength and conditioning will have an expanded role with the NU football program focused on injury prevention.

Riley confirmed Thursday that he'd reached out in recent weeks to Epley who was Nebraska's head strength coach for 35 years to come up with some ideas on injury prevention, specifically the groin and hamstring issues that have dogged Husker wide receivers, defensive backs and linebackers over the last calendar year. Riley said his teams have long struggled with those injuries at the beginning of any training period whether it be spring or fall camp and he'd like Epley's input.

Also some extremely interesting comments from Epley regarding athleticism on the football team that I hadn't seen before.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/boyd-epley-s-role-with-husker-football-team-expanding/article_83e84c98-f798-11e5-971d-b3ff55375e27.html?mode=jqm

Comments had come up before. I'm not overly surprised that some players would be off in their testing a week after the regular season, especially among the linemen. I was surprised at the time that epley called them out publicly. Felt a bit agenda driven at the time, and still does.

• Fire 1

Comments had come up before. I'm not overly surprised that some players would be off in their testing a week after the regular season, especially among the linemen. I was surprised at the time that epley called them out publicly. Felt a bit agenda driven at the time, and still does.

cm....loosen up your tin foil hat.

Oooh that sneaky Boyd Eppley....he's always got that hidden agenda to transform athletes into top tier physical specimens...that bastard.

One of the comments that really stuck out to me was that the volleyball team was more athletic than the football team. That comment makes sense considering that they won the national championship last year.

Seriously, as someone else said, loosen up your tin foil hat.

• Fire 5

His comments make sense. Phillips is doing a great job thus far in the limited time he has had. If we recruited guys who were "more ready", "more prepared" (inject any phrase here) the results would be quicker. IMO, Boyd is saying that we recruited to many "project" kids and not enough contribute immediately type guys.

Stoops said on recruiting that if the kids couldn't contribute immediately, don't recruit them. It seems to have worked well for him. I would get guys like Urban, Nick etc would agree with Boyd and Bob. Get "better" athletes so the limited time can be spent on learning the system, not getting prepared to play at the D1 level.

Oooh that sneaky Boyd Eppley....he's always got that hidden agenda to transform athletes into top tier physical specimens...that bastard.

One of the comments that really stuck out to me was that the volleyball team was more athletic than the football team. That comment makes sense considering that they won the national championship last year.

Seriously, as someone else said, loosen up your tin foil hat.

Epley just speaking the truth and some can't handle it.

I don't agree with a philosophy of only recruiting kids who can contribute now. That's a fractional percentage of D1 recruits, especially along the lines. I recall that weigert was something like 6'4" 230 when he was signed. That's hardly "contribute now" size. Granted, he was a phenomenal athelete. And of course we should recruit as many of those as possible.

But if one accepts that our talent level is low, as so many read into Epley's comments, then the last staff must have been some amazing coaches to get them to perform so far above their own heads.

• Fire 2

What's the hidden agenda Guy? We hear on HB all the time about the lack of talent. Most of that blame was laid at Pelini's feet. Yet somehow he was able to win at least 9 games every year. So either he was about to get more out of his poor talent or most of HB has no clue what they are talking about.

• Fire 1