ESPN: Nebraska's recruiting success in California is only getting started

ESPN Junior 300 QB Tristan Gebbia’s commitment to Nebraska, on Monday, gave Cornhuskers head coach Mike Riley his third ranked commitment from the state of California.

Riley has had previous coaching stops at USC and with the NFL’s San Diego Chargers, as well as his most recent stop as head coach at Oregon State. It’s that past success in California combined with the current opportunities at Nebraska have made the Huskers an intriguing program for recruits on the West Coast.

Nebraska director of player personnel Ryan Gunderson says that California is a priority for the staff as well as some of the bigger talent producing states across the country, mainly because of Riley’s notoriety and the opportunity to secure top talent.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post?id=76045

• Fire 6

Good read.

I really like reading these types of comments from top recruits.

One of those taking notice is Gebbia’s teammate Darnay Holmes, an ESPN Jr. 300 cornerback. The No. 2 player in the state is being heavily recruited from team all over the country but is looking hard at the Huskers.

Prior to 2016, Nebraska had only landed one ESPN 300 recruit from California, going all the way back to 2006. That alone is a signal to Riley’s influence on the program’s recruiting.

The initial intrigue of Riley has gotten players interested, but once the recruits get to campus, they say that the Huskers’ coaching staff has a way of making the recruits feel at home.

Comfort level is always a big factor for prospects, and Holmes says that is one of the biggest things he noticed with the Nebraska coaches.

“Just the way they bring guys in and treat them like they’ve known them since day one,” Holmes said. “The coaches are just down to earth and they know what to do to get guys there. They tell you the truth, they don’t sugar coat anything and they just talk about what’s best for you.”

I'm really enjoying the momentum we've established right now through the spring. It's been awhile since I've been this intrigued by a recruiting class at Nebraska, and I'm glad to see that Riley's connections and the mentality of his staff are creating progress.

• Fire 6

Riley needs to hit the state of Texas like he is Cali. He has had some good plays at OSU from Texas so I know he can get them to NU as well.

I don't know how deep his connections are in Texas, but his Cali ones are well-documented and probably deeper than anywhere else in the country. Outside of the 500-mile radius, I don't care where the recruits come from so long as they're the best we can get for the roles we need filled.

• Fire 3

Riley needs to hit the state of Texas like he is Cali. He has had some good plays at OSU from Texas so I know he can get them to NU as well.

I don't know how deep his connections are in Texas, but his Cali ones are well-documented and probably deeper than anywhere else in the country. Outside of the 500-mile radius, I don't care where the recruits come from so long as they're the best we can get for the roles we need filled.

talent is talent is talent. doesn't matter where it comes from. if there is a QB in outer mongolia that can take us to the next level i wouldn't bitch about where he comes from.

• Fire 3

Good read.

One of those taking notice is Gebbia’s teammate Darnay Holmes, an ESPN Jr. 300 cornerback. The No. 2 player in the state is being heavily recruited from team all over the country but is looking hard at the Huskers.

Prior to 2016, Nebraska had only landed one ESPN 300 recruit from California, going all the way back to 2006. That alone is a signal to Riley’s influence on the program’s recruiting.

The initial intrigue of Riley has gotten players interested, but once the recruits get to campus, they say that the Huskers’ coaching staff has a way of making the recruits feel at home.

Comfort level is always a big factor for prospects, and Holmes says that is one of the biggest things he noticed with the Nebraska coaches.

“Just the way they bring guys in and treat them like they’ve known them since day one,” Holmes said. “The coaches are just down to earth and they know what to do to get guys there. They tell you the truth, they don’t sugar coat anything and they just talk about what’s best for you.”

Bonus points if you know who the one ESPN300 recruit way back then was.

I'm gonna find you and kick you in the nads if you don't.

talent is talent is talent. doesn't matter where it comes from. if there is a QB in outer mongolia that can take us to the next level i wouldn't bitch about where he comes from.

Lots and lots of statistical evidence says otherwise. But I get the trope.

Good read.

You'd be "Lucky" to remember that one.

It was Marlon Lucky, right?

Otherwise the joke doesn't work.

Actually, it's not funny either way.

Carry on.

• Fire 2

Good read.

I'm going on a limb and saying Ricky Thenarse

Good read.

You'd be "Lucky" to remember that one.

It was Marlon Lucky, right?

Otherwise the joke doesn't work.

Actually, it's not funny either way.

Carry on.

I thought Lucky, but think he was part of the '05 class. 1 of 9 Californians in that class.

I was going to joke "Sam Keller" but I don't think they were ranking the ESPN300 back when he was a HS sr.