Riley Not Sold on Recruits Enrolling Early

I have a better idea. Let them graduate and then spend two years serving their country in some sort. Be it in the military, peace corps, or cleaning up our cities and highways. Do something to earn the gravy train they have.

Now the schools are teaching kids so differently their parents can not even help them with home work. Teachers are not allowed to teach, but just turn on the computer for the class.

Ask a high school graduate to name ten state capitols in the United States. Most will be hard pressed to do it. Ask them to go 30 minutes with out a phone, do something physical outside and it is like you are killing them.

Things have changed, not sure everything is for the good, but Coach Riley is not going to make it any different by keeping them in school and extra 4 months or so.

I suppose it all has to do with location and what kind of school district one is in, but my kids are considerably more advanced than when I was in school. Both of my kids were reading in kindergarten. I was probably in the second grade before I could read at the level they did in kindergarten. State capitols? I learned them all in fifth grade. My kids learned them in the second grade. My kids have been doing math minutes since the first grade. I didn't start doing them until sixth grade.

In our school system, a kid has to pass a test just to enter kindergarten. They have to know more before starting kindergarten than what I learned in kindergarten. While I realize my school district is a smaller rural one and not a big city one, it's not like all education systems in the country are failing.

Whether Riley likes it or not, a person graduating early shows both motivation and responsibility. These would be exactly what I would want on my team, players with high motivation and work ethic.

I have a better idea. Let them graduate and then spend two years serving their country in some sort. Be it in the military, peace corps, or cleaning up our cities and highways. Do something to earn the gravy train they have.

Now the schools are teaching kids so differently their parents can not even help them with home work. Teachers are not allowed to teach, but just turn on the computer for the class.

Ask a high school graduate to name ten state capitols in the United States. Most will be hard pressed to do it. Ask them to go 30 minutes with out a phone, do something physical outside and it is like you are killing them.

Things have changed, not sure everything is for the good, but Coach Riley is not going to make it any different by keeping them in school and extra 4 months or so.

I suppose it all has to do with location and what kind of school district one is in, but my kids are considerably more advanced than when I was in school. Both of my kids were reading in kindergarten. I was probably in the second grade before I could read at the level they did in kindergarten. State capitols? I learned them all in fifth grade. My kids learned them in the second grade. My kids have been doing math minutes since the first grade. I didn't start doing them until sixth grade.

In our school system, a kid has to pass a test just to enter kindergarten. They have to know more before starting kindergarten than what I learned in kindergarten. While I realize my school district is a smaller rural one and not a big city one, it's not like all education systems in the country are failing.

Whether Riley likes it or not, a person graduating early shows both motivation and responsibility. These would be exactly what I would want on my team, players with high motivation and work ethic.

In addition, as much as I believe a lot of youth today would benefit from some sort of service work, it shouldn't be forced on them.

I agree with Riley. There is no need to rush these kids into college. Recently, there was reports of a kid skipping his entire senior year and going to college.

Now, I know there are individual circumstances that may make these moves make sense.

But, in general, my feelings are that the kid should finish HS, then show up to college over the summer. There is lots of time to grow up. Enjoy being a kid.

The kid that is skipping his senior year did finish HS. As do the ones that show up for the Spring semester. They graduated.

No one seems to have a problem with this if it was a kid enrolling early for purely academic reasons. This shouldn't be a big deal if there is an athletic component to it too.

I worded that poorly. I know that all these kids have obviously graduated HS.

I don't think a player has ever given up their entire senior season to jump to college, nor do I think it is possible, but perhaps it has happened.

South Carolina has a qb doing it this coming year.

Also Duke basketball did this last year with a point guard.

I agree with MR to an extent, but I personally believe this should be a decision left up to the parents and their child. If they're physically and mentally capable, and they're ready to go to college, then I don't see the issue, particularly if they've finished all the required course work for graduation. We allow students to excel in the classroom and jump to college early. I don't see much of a difference if they want to give up their high school spring and get a head start on their careers.

I don't think a player has ever given up their entire senior season to jump to college, nor do I think it is possible, but perhaps it has happened. Truthfully, it wouldn't be a very wise decision considering most people would be grossly under-developed in comparison to their classmates in the same class.

There is a QB that just graduated after his Jr year of HS and is enrolling at South Carolina this fall(technically his senior year.)

And I agree that the decision should be left up to the player and parent, but right now there are scholarship ramifications to consider. Like, I believe, a player enrolling early for the spring, counts against the previous years scholarship totals.

Definitely a rarity then. Thanks for both of your responses.

I looked for a moment and could not verify this but I thought that one of our current OL players (I recall he was from Colorado) had skipped a grade so he came to us very young. He didn't really graduate early because he has skipped the grade when he was younger. I'm just wondering if anyone else recalls this?

I looked for a moment and could not verify this but I thought that one of our current OL players (I recall he was from Colorado) had skipped a grade so he came to us very young. He didn't really graduate early because he has skipped the grade when he was younger. I'm just wondering if anyone else recalls this?

May not be who you're talking about, but Givens Price was like 16 when he first got here.