Target, Bathrooms, & a PC culture

When a company makes the kind of decision Target made, it is based on a careful calculation of how it will affect the bottom line,. My guess is that for most people, it's a non-issue and Target wants to appeal to the largest shopping population possible.

What makes this an issue is fear-mongering and opportunity. Bring up a virtually non-existent "problem", demonize it, then act as the crusader that will save civilization.

Not true whatsoever. Allowing people to choose which bathroom they want to use is a legitimate threat to individuals' safety.

Example:

A guy "feels like a lady" on Tuesdays, so he chooses to enter the women's restroom so he can be a peeping Tom.

Not OK.

Example: A female who looks like a female, talks like a female, acts like a female, is accepted as a female, with one private exception of having a penis, is forced to use the men's bathroom and is assaulted by some close-minded douchebags who don't take kindly to her "kind".

Not OK.

Completely separate issue, and not relatable to this discussion whatsoever.

ummmm....are you aware of what "transgender" means???

It's exactly what the entire issue is about.

Yes, I do.

The idea of them being assaulted is a totally different issue.

When a company makes the kind of decision Target made, it is based on a careful calculation of how it will affect the bottom line,. My guess is that for most people, it's a non-issue and Target wants to appeal to the largest shopping population possible.

What makes this an issue is fear-mongering and opportunity. Bring up a virtually non-existent "problem", demonize it, then act as the crusader that will save civilization.

Not true whatsoever. Allowing people to choose which bathroom they want to use is a legitimate threat to individuals' safety.

Example:

A guy "feels like a lady" on Tuesdays, so he chooses to enter the women's restroom so he can be a peeping Tom.

Not OK.

Stop being sexist. Women can be peeping "Toms" too. I guess they're just less scary because they're less likely to be able to overpower another woman.

FTR, "they have the technology", that is, "they" can change what "God gave ya". SRS, Sex Reassignment Surgery, you know, where "they" can turn your "inny" into an "outty" and vice versa, or create real breasticles where there were only man boobs before, etc, etc. So the idea that you gotta go according to "what God gave ya" isn't always relevant in today's weird, wacky world.

That being said, not all trans folk undergo SRS--they are merely "psychologically trans"-- and therein may lie some/most of the contention re: the bathroom thing. I tend to agree that if you look like a guy, talk like a guy, and have all the God given parts of a guy, even though you may be wearing a prissy summer dress and have a purse around your shoulder and think you're a gal, sorry fella, you gots to go to the MENS ROOM!

Example:

Not OK.

Stop being sexist. Women can be peeping "Toms" too. I guess they're just less scary because they're less likely to be able to overpower another woman.

I thought maybe you were referring to womens peeping @ mens too, in which case, most men would probably be ok with it, :ph34r:

Try having a "must pee" emergency in downtown NYC or San Fran sometime and you slip into the nearby Starbucks and low and behold there is one BR for all members of the human species, with a line of about, oh say, 50 coffee(diuretic) imbibed folks waiting, struggling with all their might to hold it. Tell you what, forget about all the trans stuff, this is when the real fights break out!

Who the f#*k goes to the bathroom at Target?

Because it's cleaner than walmart

Those very long, gray, cement block, flourescent lit corriders that lead to the latrines at the far end "bowels" of your average shopping mall really creep me out. It's like you're being punished.

Who the f#*k goes to the bathroom at Target?

Because it's cleaner than walmart

Those very long, grey, cement block, flourescent lit corriders that lead to the latrines at the far end "bowels" of your average shopping mall really creep me out. It's like you're being punished.

It's like walking down Knockturn Alley from Harry Potter

Yeah, or like death row in prison, never to return.

Whatever happened to the existence of objective truth. If you're born with a penis, you're a man. If your born with a vagina you're a woman. Those are the restrooms you should use and I don't care what mental condition you have that tells you that you "identify" as the opposite sex. And it is still classified as a mental disorder in case anyone was getting upset. That fact may well be on its way to being changed but I don't believe if it is changed that will be best for all Trans people. Some of them need the diagnosis so they can get the help they need for depression and other related issues.

I don't want these people to feel put out or shamed but there are objective truths and if you were born with a penis, then you should use the men's room and vice versa. Others don't need to be subjected to your identity problems.

Having said that, I don't think it is a huge issue. It really shouldn't be an issue at all if people would just use a little common sense. And emergency/panic situations with kids doing the peepee dance, or even adults in dire situations, don't belong in this discussion. I've used a women's room before and I've taken my kids into whatever restroom was available. Luckily it never happened when it was occupied by a woman because I would have felt bad. But a persons real gender is not a subjective thing. You're either a man or a woman. If you think you should be the other, that really shouldn't be society's problem.

Thank you. An island of sanity in a sea of idiocy.

• Fire 1

Example:

Not OK.

I thought maybe you were referring to womens peeping @ mens too, in which case, most men would probably be ok with it, :ph34r:

Nope. Women peeping on women.

Example:

Not OK.

Nope. Women peeping on women.

I was not aware of this phenomenon, but I guess I should've been. I mean, even Katy Perry said she, "kissed a girl" and, "liked it", sooo.....