The General Election

If that's accurate, women ought to look at the candidates' actual history and see the real story. One candidate hired a woman as a project manager for a huge project in a time when that was not commonplace. The other blackmailed and ruined lives of women who had affairs with her husband and pays women executives currently on her staff considerably less than men.

But what do i know?...

So are all the pundits going to fact-check Hillary and Pocahontas' Trump-bashing speech?... I watched about 15 minutes of it and couldn't stand the inaccuracies, the political theatrics with no intention or meaning, and Elizabeth Warren's shaky voice, but everything that came out of their mouths up to that point was either a lie or a distorted version of the truth.

I didn't see the speech. Can you fill us in on what was lied about?

Watch it and you will understand.

Hopefully...

If that's accurate, women ought to look at the candidates' actual history and see the real story. One candidate hired a woman as a project manager for a huge project in a time when that was not commonplace. The other blackmailed and ruined lives of women who had affairs with her husband and pays women executives currently on her staff considerably less than men.

But what do i know?...

You really want to go there? Trump's treatment of women...

I watched about 15 minutes of it and couldn't stand the inaccuracies, the political theatrics with no intention or meaning, and Elizabeth Warren's shaky voice, but everything that came out of their mouths up to that point was either a lie or a distorted version of the truth.

You couldn't stand it coming from them, so what do you do when it comes from Trump? Just bury your head in the sand? Are you actually under the delusion that Trump is exempt from the exact same thing that you are complaining about from Clinton/Warren, or are you admitting to your tribal, us vs. them mentality where as long as it's your side doing it you're fine with it?

• Fire 1

I watched about 15 minutes of it and couldn't stand the inaccuracies, the political theatrics with no intention or meaning, and Elizabeth Warren's shaky voice, but everything that came out of their mouths up to that point was either a lie or a distorted version of the truth.

You couldn't stand it coming from them, so what do you do when it comes from Trump? Just bury your head in the sand? Are you actually under the delusion that Trump is exempt from the exact same thing that you are complaining about from Clinton/Warren, or are you admitting to your tribal, us vs. them mentality where as long as it's your side doing it you're fine with it?

I watched every minute of Trump's speech about Hillary Clinton. Not only did he use statistics and actual figures, he cited many other people who worked closely with the Clintons in the White House and witnessed first-hand what she is like.

But what do i know?...

You really want to go there? Trump's treatment of women...

You serious Clark?

I watched every minute of Trump's speech about Hillary Clinton. Not only did he use statistics and actual figures, he cited many other people who worked closely with the Clintons in the White House and witnessed first-hand what she is like.

IejQG3g.png

"I was among the earliest to criticize the rush to war, and yes, even before the war ever started."

Trump often points to his early opposition to the Iraq war as evidence of his foresight, but this claim is still False. We could only find one example of Trump commenting on the Iraq War before the invasion where he seemed apprehensive but not vehemently opposed to the operation. In a more damning interview, Trump said he supported the invasion.

"But Hillary Clinton learned nothing from Iraq, because when she got into power, she couldn’t wait to rush us off to war in Libya."

While it’s true that Clinton advocated for intervention in Libya, Trump conveniently neglects to mention that he did as well.

"Now we should go in, we should stop this guy (Muammar Gaddafi), which would be very easy and very quick," Trump said in his 2011 video blog. "We could do it surgically, stop him from doing it, and save these lives. This is absolutely nuts. We don’t want to get involved and you’re gonna end up with something like you’ve never seen before."

"Hillary Clinton supports a radical 550 percent increase in Syrian refugees coming into the United States, and that's an increase over President Obama's already very high number."

Clinton has said she wants to raise refugee admissions from Obama’s limit of 10,000 to 65,000 — a 550 percent increase. A similar statement rates Mostly True.

There’s "no way to screen who they are, what they are, what they believe, where they come from."

We rated an earlier claim from Trump like this — there is "no system to vet" refugees — False. There are concerns about information gaps, but a way to screen refugees does exist and has existed since 1980.

It involves multiple federal intelligence and security agencies as well as the United Nations. Refugee-vetting typically takes one to two years and includes numerous rounds of security checks.

"She’s pledged to grant mass amnesty and in her first 100 days, end virtually all immigration enforcement, and thus create totally open borders in the United States."

This is False. Clinton has pledged to act on immigration reform within the first 100 days and supports a path to equal citizenship. But she also supported a 2013 bill that would have invested billions in border security and her plan also calls for protecting the border and targeting deportation to criminal and security threats. To say that this would lead to "open borders" is a huge distortion.

"For the amount of money Hillary Clinton would like to spend on refugees, we could rebuild every inner city in America."

Clinton hasn’t said how much she would spend, but the Obama administration requested a bit under $2.2 billion for 100,000 refugees in fiscal year 2017. Clinton has said she would take in about 55,00 more Syrians so scaling up the cost, that’s roughly $3 to $4 billion.

Barely scratching the surface of the needs of America’s cities, we would need $225 billion for substandard housing and infrastructure. So refugee admissions would be a tiny fraction of the price tag for rebuilding America’s inner cities.

We rated Trump’s claim Pants on Fire!

"We’ll pass massive tax reform (that will) lower taxes for everyone."

While everyone would be paying less under Trump’s tax plan, the cuts are disproportionate across income strata. In fact, the top 0.1 percent would get more tax relief than the bottom 60 percent combined. What’s more, multiple analyses have shown that his plan would bloat the deficit by at least $10 trillion in the next decade.

"We are, by the way, highest taxed nation in the world. Please remember that."

We’ve given Trump three False ratings for this claim. Whether you’re looking at tax burden as a percentage of GDP or per capita or specifying corporate tax revenue, the United States is nowhere near the top. Please remember that.

"Our military" has been "totally depleted."

While military spending has decreased, the United States’ defense budget is larger than the next seven to eight countries combined.

And while the number of ground troops and Navy ships have shrunk, size is no guarantee of military might. In fact, experts say the Army and Navy of today aremuch more capable than they were decades ago.

• Fire 4

This is probably the most crazy claim I've heard about Trump so far. He contradicts his own words on a daily basis. Clinton doesn't even begin to approach the types of lying spew that come out of his mouth.

So are all the pundits going to fact-check Hillary and Pocahontas' Trump-bashing speech?... I watched about 15 minutes of it and couldn't stand the inaccuracies, the political theatrics with no intention or meaning, and Elizabeth Warren's shaky voice, but everything that came out of their mouths up to that point was either a lie or a distorted version of the truth.

I didn't see the speech. Can you fill us in on what was lied about?

Watch it and you will understand.

Hopefully...

I'd really prefer (for conversation sake) for you to summarize a few points for me.

IejQG3g.png

"I was among the earliest to criticize the rush to war, and yes, even before the war ever started."

Trump often points to his early opposition to the Iraq war as evidence of his foresight, but this claim is still False. We could only find one example of Trump commenting on the Iraq War before the invasion where he seemed apprehensive but not vehemently opposed to the operation. In a more damning interview, Trump said he supported the invasion.

"But Hillary Clinton learned nothing from Iraq, because when she got into power, she couldn’t wait to rush us off to war in Libya."

While it’s true that Clinton advocated for intervention in Libya, Trump conveniently neglects to mention that he did as well.

"Now we should go in, we should stop this guy (Muammar Gaddafi), which would be very easy and very quick," Trump said in his 2011 video blog. "We could do it surgically, stop him from doing it, and save these lives. This is absolutely nuts. We don’t want to get involved and you’re gonna end up with something like you’ve never seen before."

"Hillary Clinton supports a radical 550 percent increase in Syrian refugees coming into the United States, and that's an increase over President Obama's already very high number."

Clinton has said she wants to raise refugee admissions from Obama’s limit of 10,000 to 65,000 — a 550 percent increase. A similar statement rates Mostly True.

There’s "no way to screen who they are, what they are, what they believe, where they come from."

We rated an earlier claim from Trump like this — there is "no system to vet" refugees — False. There are concerns about information gaps, but a way to screen refugees does exist and has existed since 1980.

It involves multiple federal intelligence and security agencies as well as the United Nations. Refugee-vetting typically takes one to two years and includes numerous rounds of security checks.

"She’s pledged to grant mass amnesty and in her first 100 days, end virtually all immigration enforcement, and thus create totally open borders in the United States."

This is False. Clinton has pledged to act on immigration reform within the first 100 days and supports a path to equal citizenship. But she also supported a 2013 bill that would have invested billions in border security and her plan also calls for protecting the border and targeting deportation to criminal and security threats. To say that this would lead to "open borders" is a huge distortion.

"For the amount of money Hillary Clinton would like to spend on refugees, we could rebuild every inner city in America."

Clinton hasn’t said how much she would spend, but the Obama administration requested a bit under $2.2 billion for 100,000 refugees in fiscal year 2017. Clinton has said she would take in about 55,00 more Syrians so scaling up the cost, that’s roughly $3 to $4 billion.

Barely scratching the surface of the needs of America’s cities, we would need $225 billion for substandard housing and infrastructure. So refugee admissions would be a tiny fraction of the price tag for rebuilding America’s inner cities.

We rated Trump’s claim Pants on Fire!

"We’ll pass massive tax reform (that will) lower taxes for everyone."

While everyone would be paying less under Trump’s tax plan, the cuts are disproportionate across income strata. In fact, the top 0.1 percent would get more tax relief than the bottom 60 percent combined. What’s more, multiple analyses have shown that his plan would bloat the deficit by at least $10 trillion in the next decade.

"We are, by the way, highest taxed nation in the world. Please remember that."

We’ve given Trump three False ratings for this claim. Whether you’re looking at tax burden as a percentage of GDP or per capita or specifying corporate tax revenue, the United States is nowhere near the top. Please remember that.

"Our military" has been "totally depleted."

While military spending has decreased, the United States’ defense budget is larger than the next seven to eight countries combined.

And while the number of ground troops and Navy ships have shrunk, size is no guarantee of military might. In fact, experts say the Army and Navy of today aremuch more capable than they were decades ago.

Shark,

Do you have any idea how many times this has been pointed out to you? Do you fully understand the post? If not, we can explain it for you.

I remember when, as a kid, I argued vehemently that INXS was a great band, better than any of my dad's favorite bands. The Beatles, Alabama, etc. Nothing he would say could convince me that INXS wasn't the best band ever.

Turns out, they were just the first major act I got into. Today, I listen to all kinds of music, including tons of stuff my dad was into. But I don't listen to INXS anymore, because as I grew older I realized they were just the "in" pop band of the day.

It'd be interesting to see the people who support Trump so vehemently today in 20 years, after they've had time to go through several more election cycles and see the next iteration of Trump. See what they think of him in 20 years.

• Fire 2

I remember when, as a kid, I argued vehemently that INXS was a great band, better than any of my dad's favorite bands. The Beatles, Alabama, etc. Nothing he would say could convince me that INXS wasn't the best band ever.

Turns out, they were just the first major act I got into. Today, I listen to all kinds of music, including tons of stuff my dad was into. But I don't listen to INXS anymore, because as I grew older I realized they were just the "in" pop band of the day.

It'd be interesting to see the people who support Trump so vehemently today in 20 years, after they've had time to go through several more election cycles and see the next iteration of Trump. See what they think of him in 20 years.

Boy do I wish you were right - sadly from what I can see those who support him are not the type to look back retrospectively and admit that they were caught up in a moment or uninformed.

Hardly anybody wants to speak at Trump's convention

With the convention less than a month away, POLITICO contacted more than 50 prominent governors, senators and House members to gauge their interest in speaking. Only a few said they were open to it, and everyone else said they weren’t planning on it, didn’t want to or weren’t going to Cleveland at all — or simply didn’t respond.

It would be nice if there was a delegate revote on the 1st ballot.

Trump's Muslim ban: From simple clarity to plain confusion

From the start, Donald Trump's call "for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States" has been a signature of the Republican's campaign for president.

Yet from that first moment, the White House candidate has evaded questions when pressed for details. Now, faced with sliding poll numbers, his spokeswoman says he's no longer seeking the ban at all.