The General Election

Holy crap. His kids ousted his other campaign manager (who's now a CNN talking head) for Manafort because he was the only one willing to try to muzzle him.

Looks like Trump is back in the driver's seat.

I wondered why Trump seemed like more of a loose cannon lately. I think his only hope was to allow Manafort to run a tight ship. Now, it's probably only a matter of time before Trump completely wrecks his campaign.

:facepalm: If Trump wasn't so "me" centered, he should have refused the purple heart and noted that it belong to the man and to his family. And then talk about how great a sacrifice members of service give.

I don't think it would ever occur to him that he doesn't deserve it.

To be fair, Trump is used to just taking things without earning them. I don't see why he'd stop now.

It actually is kind of sad watching him at this point. I absolutely detest him, and despise the campaign he's run, but I don't think there are no redeeming qualities to the man. I think what his family says about him being a great family man is probably true.

But what I think we're seeing play out now is a man on the grandest of stages with a tremendous ego and what's probably untreated NPD just running the show. He's quite clearly untethered from factual reality most of the time. But when he's doing things like picking fights with gold star families, taking a man's Purple Heart and keeping it, or kicking a baby out of a rally show a sociopathic-like lack of empathy in his quest for power. His inability to apologize for anything and inability to back down once challenged show a startling lack of humility and self-control, respectively.

Also, as Knapp pointed out, our political discourse has devolved under the direction of Trump to the point where we've got a ten year old child yelling profanities and the rest of the party writ large with a rallying cry of "lock her up" about their opponent. Think about that for a second.

It's going to be an interesting few months here. There have been a good handful of high-profile political operatives and now politicians crossing over to vote for Clinton. I assume there's some of the opposite as well, but it doesn't get the airtime that Clinton crossover does. I can only hope for the good of the Republic there's more Richard Hannas, Maria Comellas, and Meg Whitmans willing to come forth between now and November...

• Fire 5

Top Christie aide comes out for Hillary ... Jeb's came out yesterday.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/02/politics/maria-comella-hillary-clinton-donald-trump/

But Comella -- like longtime Jeb Bush adviser Sally Bradshaw, who told CNN on Monday that she's left the GOP over Trump's nomination -- said party members can't stay silent amid Trump's inflammatory rhetoric.

"As someone who has worked to further the Republican Party's principles for the last 15 years I believe that we are at a moment where silence isn't an option. We are here today in part because as a party in the past we have remained silent when things have made us uncomfortable. Instead of speaking out against instances of bigotry, racism and inflammatory rhetoric whether it's been against women, immigrants or Muslims, we made a calculus that it was better to say nothing at all in the interest of politics and winning elections.
For me, if our party has a future, we have to change that trajectory and lead by example.
"We have to stop thinking that winning at any cost is more important than governing principles. It should be the job of the Republican Party's nominee to set a tone worthy of being the leader of the free world and not give into our worst instincts. I don't care if it's good politics or not."

The Republican Party, and the United States of America needs more politicians like her.

To borrow a phrase from JFK and Edmund Burke:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

You can't just sit on the sidelines and watch it happen to your own party.

• Fire 1

Holy crap. His kids ousted his other campaign manager (who's now a CNN talking head) for Manafort because he was the only one willing to try to muzzle him.

I wondered why Trump seemed like more of a loose cannon lately. I think his only hope was to allow Manafort to run a tight ship. Now, it's probably only a matter of time before Trump completely wrecks his campaign.

His campaign was wrecked the moment it launched. He was never going to get much support outside of those who voted for him in the primary.

His campaign was wrecked the moment it launched. He was never going to get much support outside of those who voted for him in the primary.

Against any decent Democrat candidate that would have been the case but thus far, he's been keeping the race competitive by getting enough votes from people that dislike him but dislike Hillary even more. Most polls were showing that the race was close before the conventions.

But Comella -- like longtime Jeb Bush adviser Sally Bradshaw, who told CNN on Monday that she's left the GOP over Trump's nomination -- said party members can't stay silent amid Trump's inflammatory rhetoric.

"As someone who has worked to further the Republican Party's principles for the last 15 years I believe that we are at a moment where silence isn't an option. We are here today in part because as a party in the past we have remained silent when things have made us uncomfortable. Instead of speaking out against instances of bigotry, racism and inflammatory rhetoric whether it's been against women, immigrants or Muslims, we made a calculus that it was better to say nothing at all in the interest of politics and winning elections.
For me, if our party has a future, we have to change that trajectory and lead by example.
"We have to stop thinking that winning at any cost is more important than governing principles. It should be the job of the Republican Party's nominee to set a tone worthy of being the leader of the free world and not give into our worst instincts. I don't care if it's good politics or not."

This is incredibly refreshing to have heard spoken by a Republican leader. So many conservatives constantly over this idea of mainstream media bias, and I call bologne. The media is biased, sure - but it isn't biased towards liberal ideology or towards the Democratic party. The media is biased towards sensationalism and absurdity, and frankly, over the last decade, the Republican party has provided that leaps and bounds more than the Democratic one has.

Donald Trump is what the GOP and Fox News have rightfully sown for their rhetoric and approach to politics over the last 1-2 presidential cycles. They created this monster, and he won't be the last of his kind to usurp and "hijack" their party if they don't wake the hell up and realize they are culpable in this situation, and it's not happening to them as much as it's happening because of them.

• Fire 3

So Trump's fired* campaign manager Lewandowski played the birther card on CNN last night.

*I'm not sure he was fired. I think he reached out to CNN to get a job, when that happened he was "fired". The campaign basically put him on CNN to defend all things Trump.

• Fire 2

So Trump's fired* campaign manager Lewandowski played the birther card on CNN last night.

*I'm not sure he was fired. I think he reached out to CNN to get a job, when that happened he was "fired". The campaign basically put him on CNN to defend all things Trump.

When I heard him last night, I thought the same thing.