The General Election

On 'rigged'ness (emphasis mine)

Another possibility is that Trump is worried about losing the debates — and this gives him an out if he does. He can just say the debates were "rigged" from the start. As Scacco puts it, "Trump is trying to lower expectations of his debate performance." ...

As my colleague Dara Lind has written, Donald Trump often resorts to the "rigged" excuse. After all, he likes to see himself as a winner. So if he’s not winning, it must be someone else’s fault. That explains why he’s been talking a lot lately about how this election is rigged: ...

"He appears to be perfectly willing to erode decades of well-earned faith in public institutions for his own purposes," Wagner says. "His complaints about the debates are part and parcel of a strategy communicating that 'everything that I don’t like is evidence of a rigged, dishonest system,’ when, of course, it isn’t."

• Fire 1

The only hope I see for Trump now are the debates or whatever wikileaks has left, if it's more damning for Clinton than what was released before. Or I suppose if the House somehow proves she lied to them.

As for the debates, I really don't think it'll play well for Trump to bully and talk over her the way he did everyone else he debated against.

Well, maybe. The whole point is for the Trump campaign to be able to spin it as a bombshell. There's no nuance in a political hit job -- "Well, if you look at the facts and the context" is a tiny voice amid a sea of "SCANDAL!!!" roars.

It's sort of that way with reporting in general, I suppose. For example, how many voters truly believed Obama was not Christian when they took to the polls? How many will this year still thinking that, and that he paid a $400M/$1.7B ransom to Iran for freeing prisoners? ... and similar buy-ins to other bluster like "Hillary is a traitor" and "Benghazi". It's not clear to me that the answer isn't "enough".

Could the biggest landslide in history (?) be won by one of the worst candidates in history?

Talk about a bad mandate.

That is the thing - the mandate. Hillary could end up wt a huge electoral college win and that will only reinforce that she is beyond reproach and can do whatever she wants. She will be the worse elected candidate in history only because her opponent was the worse possible nominee in history. If the repubs hold on to the House and the Senate that would moderate her mandate somewhat. If the repubs loose the Senate - all Hillary hell will break loose.

Could the biggest landslide in history (?) be won by one of the worst candidates in history?

Talk about a bad mandate.

That is the thing - the mandate. Hillary could end up wt a huge electoral college win and that will only reinforce that she is beyond reproach and can do whatever she wants. She will be the worse elected candidate in history only because her opponent was the worse possible nominee in history. If the repubs hold on to the House and the Senate that would moderate her mandate somewhat. If the repubs loose the Senate - all Hillary hell will break loose.

I'm not that worried about a "mandate." She may claim that, but it's a hollow word. The only reason she's not the most-disliked candidate in recent history is Trump is running opposite her. She's genuinely disliked, will not be supported by a vast majority of people in this country, and won't get anywhere appealing to the populace in case of congressional gridlock.