The General Election

The only thing I wondered glancing at Trump's rally on CNN tonight (I had it muted) was that his handlers had apparently talked some sense into him. Luckily for everyone, the effect is probably transient, so we'll wait for the next wacky go around.

It is nice having you on here, though, bnil, for a view of the race through the Fox News lens.

The only thing I wondered glancing at Trump's rally on CNN tonight (I had it muted) was that his handlers had apparently talked some sense into him. Luckily for everyone, the effect is probably transient, so we'll wait for the next wacky go around.

It is nice having you on here, though, bnil, for a view of the race through the Fox News lens.

Well I have to counterbalance all the crap spewed on here through the the MSNBC/MSM lenses. By the way, I have stated on here repeatedly that I am not in love with Trump, and will call him out when he acts like a douchebag, which he has in the past week to 10 days. He needs to get his head out of his a*s if he wants to have any chance of winning.

With that said, I rarely see those that are inclined to vote for Hillary actually attack her when she screws up, as she did again today lying about lying. We are looking at 2 deeply flawed candidates, and for the past 10 days, Hillary has come across looking better to the average voter, but that can all change in an instant. Trump's words are what get him in trouble, while it's Hillary's words and actions/policies that make her a vulnerable candidate, especially with her failures as SOS and the rise of ISIS under her watch.

Well I have to counterbalance all the crap spewed on here through the the MSNBC/MSM lenses. By the way, I have stated on here repeatedly that I am not in love with Trump, and will call him out when he acts like a douchebag, which he has in the past week to 10 days. He needs to get his head out of his a*s if he wants to have any chance of winning.

With that said, I rarely see those that are inclined to vote for Hillary actually attack her when she screws up, as she did again today lying about lying. We are looking at 2 deeply flawed candidates, and for the past 10 days, Hillary has come across looking better to the average voter, but that can all change in an instant. Trump's words are what get him in trouble, while it's Hillary's words and actions/policies that make her a vulnerable candidate, especially with her failures as SOS and the rise of ISIS under her watch.

I don't much care about the email thing, but their entire response to that thing has been a complete shitshow. I get the inclination that their camp thinks there's no real way to turn that into a political winner, and think their best political response is to just ignore the issue. She continues to come out and put her foot in her mouth whenever asked about it in public, though... I do not understand how they haven't settled on an actual response whenever the topic is raised. I get the feeling that Clinton is so cautious at this point that she'd rather just hunker down and let it blow over, which has worked for them in the past.

I'd probably respect her more if she just said "I'm sorry, I screwed this up, but I will work my hardest to earn back your trust and make sure this doesn't happen again." I'm not sure why that's not the endgame, because that takes the issue off the table for Trump. And it's an easy answer. Maybe they fear Trump using that line as a weapon? I don't know... it doesn't seem like it'd be that credible coming from him.

I don't presume you for a Trump guy; that's why I made my Fox News comment. You strike me as more of a traditional Republican that still gets their media from right-wing sources but hasn't actually planted themselves squarely on Trump's sack until November. Credit to you for that.

I just have a more nuanced view of her time as SOS and the rise of ISIS, which is why I feel far better about a future under a Clinton administration than a Trump one.

With that said, I rarely see those that are inclined to vote for Hillary actually attack her when she screws up, as she did again today lying about lying.

"I vocally support Donald Trump and haven't said one word condemning him about any of the 1,000 gaffes and outright campaign-killing blunders he's made, but I want to make an issue out of the fact that people who will vote for Clinton haven't said anything about the couple of blunders she's made."

You can't make this stuff up.

• Fire 3

In any other election year, this would be a shocking development. Party loyalty is a powerful force in American politics, and the Libertarian party has never been taken seriously in mainstream politics.

But Donald Trump's inflammatory comments and erratic behavior have tested the partisan loyalty of Republicans across the country. At the same time, most Republicans also can't stand the Democratic nominee, Hillary Clinton. Which makes Johnson — a former Republican governor who agrees with Republicans on a broad range of economic issues — a natural alternative for those who are disgusted by Trump's behavior.

Donald Trump has put Republican leaders in an awkward position

Ordinarily, Republicans are expected to offer unconditional support to other Republican candidates. The problem is that Trump is no ordinary candidate. His campaign has been a steady stream of provocative statements about women, Muslims, Mexicans, and other groups.

This will only add to Clinton's electoral advantage: A 'conservative alternative' is entering the race as a 3rd party candidate. He's not a well known guy but it

appears has big money behind him.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/third-party-candidate-morning-joe-scarborough/2016/08/08/id/742558/

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/evan-mcmullin-2016-presidential-run-226784

BuzzFeed also reported McMullin’s independent bid for the White House, similarly citing unnamed sources. And before noon, a web site launched soliciting donations for "Evan McMullin for President."

McMullin, who has never held elected office, was an operations officer for the CIA for 11 years from 1999 to 2010, according to his LinkedIn page. He earned an MBA in 2011 from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, the alma mater of GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump. He has also worked at Goldman Sachs, as a volunteer refugee resettlement officer for the United Nations and as a deckhand on a commercial fishing boat in Alaska.

An aide for the House Republican Conference said McMullin is no longer an employee there. Conference spokesman Nate Hodson said "The House Republican Conference has zero knowledge of his intentions."

On his Twitter account, McMullin has been vocal about his opposition to Trump, characterizing him as an authoritarian and calling for the Manhattan billionaire to release his tax returns, something he has refused to do to this point.

“Authoritarians like @realDonaldTrump use promises of law & order to justify infringing on civil rights as they consolidate control by force,” McMullin tweeted on July 21, his most recent post.

“Opposing @realDonaldTrump is about putting principle over power, a virtue some in Washington are too quick to abandon. #NeverTrump,” he wrote on May 7, just days after Trump became the GOP’s presumptive nominee.

This will only add to Clinton's electoral advantage: A 'conservative alternative' is entering the race as a 3rd party candidate. He's not a well known guy but it

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/third-party-candidate-morning-joe-scarborough/2016/08/08/id/742558/

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/evan-mcmullin-2016-presidential-run-226784

BuzzFeed also reported McMullin’s independent bid for the White House, similarly citing unnamed sources. And before noon, a web site launched soliciting donations for "Evan McMullin for President."

McMullin, who has never held elected office, was an operations officer for the CIA for 11 years from 1999 to 2010, according to his LinkedIn page. He earned an MBA in 2011 from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, the alma mater of GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump. He has also worked at Goldman Sachs, as a volunteer refugee resettlement officer for the United Nations and as a deckhand on a commercial fishing boat in Alaska.

An aide for the House Republican Conference said McMullin is no longer an employee there. Conference spokesman Nate Hodson said "The House Republican Conference has zero knowledge of his intentions."

On his Twitter account, McMullin has been vocal about his opposition to Trump, characterizing him as an authoritarian and calling for the Manhattan billionaire to release his tax returns, something he has refused to do to this point.

“Authoritarians like @realDonaldTrump use promises of law & order to justify infringing on civil rights as they consolidate control by force,” McMullin tweeted on July 21, his most recent post.

“Opposing @realDonaldTrump is about putting principle over power, a virtue some in Washington are too quick to abandon. #NeverTrump,” he wrote on May 7, just days after Trump became the GOP’s presumptive nominee.

Interesting.....

I thought the date was past to get on state ballots. :dunno

BuzzFeed also reported McMullins independent bid for the White House, similarly citing unnamed sources. And before noon, a web site launched soliciting donations for "Evan McMullin for President."

Authoritarians like @realDonaldTrump use promises of law & order to justify infringing on civil rights as they consolidate control by force, McMullin tweeted on July 21, his most recent post.

Opposing @realDonaldTrump is about putting principle over power, a virtue some in Washington are too quick to abandon. #NeverTrump, he wrote on May 7, just days after Trump became the GOPs presumptive nominee.

Interesting.....

I believe Romney and his network have been exploring ways to get on them anyway. I know you can sue to get on the ballot the deadline. I'd imagine they're inclined to help this guy since they wanted an independent Conservative all along...

Will be interesting to see if this guy can siphon any votes from Trump in any meaningful way, for sure.

BuzzFeed also reported McMullins independent bid for the White House, similarly citing unnamed sources. And before noon, a web site launched soliciting donations for "Evan McMullin for President."

Authoritarians like @realDonaldTrump use promises of law & order to justify infringing on civil rights as they consolidate control by force, McMullin tweeted on July 21, his most recent post.

Opposing @realDonaldTrump is about putting principle over power, a virtue some in Washington are too quick to abandon. #NeverTrump, he wrote on May 7, just days after Trump became the GOPs presumptive nominee.

Interesting.....

I believe Romney and his network have been exploring ways to get on them anyway. I know you can sue to get on the ballot the deadline. I'd imagine they're inclined to help this guy since they wanted an independent Conservative all along...

Will be interesting to see if this guy can siphon any votes from Trump in any meaningful way, for sure.

I don't think he'll have much impact but he could make Utah interesting. The most recent polls indicate that Trump is holding onto a slim lead there and McMullin could play well there since he's Mormon and a native of Utah.

I believe the early analysis was that the Johnson/Weld ticket would draw from more Clinton voters than Trump voters.

Almost every poll that I've seen bears that out. In a four-way poll, she loses more points than he does from the head to head.

BRB, would you flip their position on the ticket if you could? Or any other Johnson voter, for that matter. I've noticed a lot of folks indicate they think Weld seems more well-spoken and presidential, while Johnson still seems like a nice, somewhat quirky guy.

Interesting.....

I don't think he'll have much impact but he could make Utah interesting. The most recent polls indicate that Trump is holding onto a slim lead there and McMullin could play well there since he's Mormon and a native of Utah.

That would be important. I'm sure every hypothetical path to 270 people draw up has Utah's 6 electoral votes go to Trump. Small as though they may be, that's the same as two swing states in NV and IA.

Losing there would almost surely destroy his chances.