The General Election

This was too long for a tweetstorm, but very well put: http://www.vox.com/2016/8/9/12417100/donald-trump-assassinate-hillary-clinton-joke

There's about 30 parts to it. I'll try to pick two to grasp the gist:

https://twitter.com/5thCircAppeals/status/763105256615981056

https://twitter.com/5thCircAppeals/status/763109180555210753

It's funny how well Trump diehards have caught on. Offer up something terrible or flimsy, and duck behind the shield of sarcasm/joking banter. It's the same thing their candidate does. The argument above deftly cuts away at these efforts.

And not to speak for dudeguyy here, but I know he has substance behind his thoughts on Pence. He means it, and Pence's political leanings and background are likely the reason why.

Its funny watching BRB bash anyone who points out something that goes against Hillary or Obama because he thinks all republicans have been taken over by right wing media, yet stays silent when people like zoogs and others continue to post from leftist outlets like vox, salon, huff post and more.

I'm glad you find humor. I always pride myself on being hilariously funny. I'm sure that's what made my wife fall in love with me.

I may have a hard time explaining this perfectly so please bear with me.

First of all, I don't think I have railed against any poster on here for specifically posting from any site no matter if it's Fox, Brietbart, Vox, Huffpo....etc. If I have, please remind me where.

What I HAVE spoke out against is the brain washing of the conservative masses that OMG.....Fox is the only network that tells the truth...etc....when they have been proven over and over again to be so slanted that they can't be trusted. THEY will tell me stuff the others are scared to talk about...bla bla bla....Have I heard this on this baord? Don't think so quite that specific. But, in real life, I know many many people who constantly say that and then they will go into rants about Obama being a Muslim, Hillary should be locked up, Obama supports terrorism....etc.

Maybe it's because of the crowd I hang with being in central Nebraska. But, even though I am friends with some very liberal people, I don't sit around and hear absolutely crazy crap that is completely made up and false like I do when I sit around with conservative friends.

I know Facebook is cesspool of crap. But, let me use it as an example. On Facebook, I am friends with some people who are both pretty liberal and conservative. I have had to completely unfollow some of my good friends who are conservative because of the total crap they post politically. These articles they post are obviously totally made up political propaganda and they eat this crap up. It's like they wake up and the first thing they do is get on their phones to see what extreme article they can read about those evil liberals who are out to destroy America and take away our guns. I literally don't see any of that from my liberal friends. None....

So....yes....I do believe the conservative movement has been taken over by extreme forms of media that is moving conservatism into a very very bad direction.

Now, if you want to post an article from conservative sites, feel free. I may very well read it just like I read articles from Vox and Huffpo. I will then read them with a very critical eye.

Just catching up on posts now. I saw your next post too and do agree the media is too powerful in general, and this aligns with the point I was making earlier that whether its more blatant like Fox and MSNBC, or more hidden like CBS and NBC, all media has an agenda and pushes that agenda. Andrea Mitchell has been aroudn for years and is one of the most biased reporters I know yet her network tries to paint a picture that they are objective. And there are countless more examples like this.

As for facebook, I don't use that and agree its a problem. Just as Drudge pushes narratives and has an agenda on the right, facebook does the same by promoting pro-liberal stories in its trending news section. There are so many outlets that voters must be responsible for sifting through this to understand fact from fiction.

We must have differing realities with our groups of friends as I have liberal friends too, and they are always sending me things from liberal sites like the ones I quoted above. When Bush was in office it was horrible, with the 9/11 conspiracy theories, some claiming he wanted blacks to die in Katrina, etc..I tend to find that whichever supporters are out of power are most vocal, but I stand by my statement earlier that much of the MSM is in the tank for Hillary but do so more quietly than Fox might.

I've said this before, and it bears repeating (often). The danger is not really Trump, because Trump doesn't want to be president.

The danger is the Trumpish normalization of totalitarianism.

It's utterly bizarre that the very people who rail on about big government will vote for Trump's ideals of total government control.

tsr3jWN.jpg

WK0klj1.jpg

oZrLmTM.jpg

rR2Q0Yd.jpg

Yes that is what got the hair on the back of my neck to stand up long ago- his 'solutions' revolve around unconstitutional, authoritarian actions.

Like tearing down the unconstitutional and over-reaching policies of the Obama admin? Bringing power back to the states? Reducing taxes and government spending, corruption, and wasteful spending dramatically? Auditing the federal agencies? Supporting law enforcement? Actually taking action instead of using political rhetoric to dance around issues?

It's more alarming that in the times that we're in currently of extreme government corruption and wasteful spending that ought to be extremely apparent to everyone, especially with the establishment's resistance to DJT that ordinary people pile on to the horsesh*t that's spewed on a daily basis by liberal media and liberal politicians.

If you don't like Trump, whatever, that's fine. Vote for Johnson.

It's extremely difficult to get through to those issues when he almost daily says and does things that are alarming and disturbing.

If he is such a brilliant man, then why doesn't he simply stick to talking about these issues instead of saying things that take the headlines away from the issues?

If you don't find the things he has said disturbing, then you have issues.

What's more, the only time we seem to hear from Trump and his surrogates that we DO need to focus on the serious issues facing the country is when they're embroiled in another one of these self-induced fiascoes and desperately trying to force the train back onto its tracks.

I WOULD like to talk about the issues. Trump is the one that keeps veering off course.

He definitely veered off course with the Khan issue. In watching him the past week he's been pretty on message, and should have chosen his words more wisely regarding the 2nd amendment, but even Susan Collins (who does not like Trump) and Geraldo came out today and stated that this is a case where the media has blown this up. Now given Trump's track record, he has to blame himself for them latching on so closely to everything.

I've said this before, and it bears repeating (often). The danger is not really Trump, because Trump doesn't want to be president.

It's utterly bizarre that the very people who rail on about big government will vote for Trump's ideals of total government control.

tsr3jWN.jpg

WK0klj1.jpg

oZrLmTM.jpg

rR2Q0Yd.jpg

Yes that is what got the hair on the back of my neck to stand up long ago- his 'solutions' revolve around unconstitutional, authoritarian actions.

Like tearing down the unconstitutional and over-reaching policies of the Obama admin? Bringing power back to the states? Reducing taxes and government spending, corruption, and wasteful spending dramatically? Auditing the federal agencies? Supporting law enforcement? Actually taking action instead of using political rhetoric to dance around issues?

It's more alarming that in the times that we're in currently of extreme government corruption and wasteful spending that ought to be extremely apparent to everyone, especially with the establishment's resistance to DJT that ordinary people pile on to the horsesh*t that's spewed on a daily basis by liberal media and liberal politicians.

It's extremely difficult to get through to those issues when he almost daily says and does things that are alarming and disturbing.

If he is such a brilliant man, then why doesn't he simply stick to talking about these issues instead of saying things that take the headlines away from the issues?

What's more, the only time we seem to hear from Trump and his surrogates that we DO need to focus on the serious issues facing the country is when they're embroiled in another one of these self-induced fiascoes and desperately trying to force the train back onto its tracks.

I WOULD like to talk about the issues. Trump is the one that keeps veering off course.

He definitely veered off course with the Khan issue. In watching him the past week he's been pretty on message, and should have chosen his words more wisely regarding the 2nd amendment, but even Susan Collins (who does not like Trump) and Geraldo came out today and stated that this is a case where the media has blown this up. Now given Trump's track record, he has to blame himself for them latching on so closely to everything.

That is something we can agree on. The only way that stops is if he stops saying and doing such stupid stuff. He's the one that has caused the media to act like they are. So....now he has to take responsibility to change it by being smarter on the campaign trail.

The media isn't rigged against him and that's why they bring this crap up. It's because he's either an idiot or really doesn't want to win.

• Fire 1

tsr3jWN.jpg

WK0klj1.jpg

oZrLmTM.jpg

rR2Q0Yd.jpg

Actually, some of those things you mentioned are all fine wt me - bringing more power to the states and correcting the imbalance between state and federal govts which has been fostered by state gov'ts reliance on money for federally mandated social programs. Reducing taxes and govt spending, supporting law enforcement, etc all get a :thumbs . However, the way Trump has pushed these ideas gets a :bad When he says he will take action against companies that move businesses off shore that is not a constitutional friendly or a free enterprise idea. It is authoritarian. It would be better to incentivize companies to stay here via a more favorable tax plan. that is just one example. Trump has some recycled ideas that are good but the attitude that is reflected in how he would implement an idea comes across very authoritarian. Net Net: I'm closer to the Trump's side on the core ideas than Hillary's but he, in my opinion, is the wrong messenger and more importantly the wrong implementer of those policies. On one survey, I think I actually scored closer to Gary Johnson who I will vote for. And Johnson has a few issues I greatly disagree with (he's pro-choice, I'm pro-life - although he has shown balance in supporting life initiatives in his state).

tsr3jWN.jpg

WK0klj1.jpg

oZrLmTM.jpg

rR2Q0Yd.jpg

That is something we can agree on. The only way that stops is if he stops saying and doing such stupid stuff. He's the one that has caused the media to act like they are. So....now he has to take responsibility to change it by being smarter on the campaign trail.

The media isn't rigged against him and that's why they bring this crap up. It's because he's either an idiot or really doesn't want to win.

I don't think the media it out to get him anymore than they were Romney and McCain. Studies from the 2008 election showed far more positive stories for Obama in 2008 and far more negative for McCain, and McCain wasn't a guy to be gaffe prone like Trump is. That is the general rule of thumb for GOP nominees...they have to be extra careful to avoid the media scrutiny. Here's a prime example as it relates to a statement Obama made in 2008 in which he said "the chicago way" involves bringing a gun to the fight. I remember when this was said at the time and being surprised there wasn't a full blown media meltdown over it. The McCain campaign tried to make this an issue but the media brushed over it as usual.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/ben-smith/2008/06/obama-brings-a-gun-to-a-knife-fight-009692

tsr3jWN.jpg

WK0klj1.jpg

oZrLmTM.jpg

rR2Q0Yd.jpg

I don't think the media it out to get him anymore than they were Romney and McCain. Studies from the 2008 election showed far more positive stories for Obama in 2008 and far more negative for McCain, and McCain wasn't a guy to be gaffe prone like Trump is. That is the general rule of thumb for GOP nominees...they have to be extra careful to avoid the media scrutiny. Here's a prime example as it relates to a statement Obama made in 2008 in which he said "the chicago way" involves bringing a gun to the fight. I remember when this was said at the time and being surprised there wasn't a full blown media meltdown over it. The McCain campaign tried to make this an issue but the media brushed over it as usual.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/ben-smith/2008/06/obama-brings-a-gun-to-a-knife-fight-009692

Also, Joe Biden joked in 2008 that if Obama took his guns away he might have to get it out and use it. Surprise, surprise, very little coverage of that too.

It's bizarre. I don't know what else to say about it. In this CNN interview, Trump is given the opportunity to clarify, and he won't back down from this particular ridiculous statement.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/11/politics/donald-trump-hugh-hewitt-obama-founder-isis/index.html

Trump was asked by host Hugh Hewitt about the comments Trump made Wednesday night in Florida, and Hewitt said he understood Trump to mean "that he (Obama) created the vacuum, he lost the peace."

Trump objected.
"No, I meant he's the founder of ISIS," Trump said. "I do. He was the most valuable player. I give him the most valuable player award. I give her, too, by the way, Hillary Clinton."

• Fire 1

Trump isn't the scary thing in this election anymore. He's just a buffoon.

The scary thing is that, no matter how hard he tries to shake his adherents, they stay loyal. It's those people America has to be concerned with moving forward.

That's what I've been concerned with since he took the lead during the primaries... the celebration of stupidity. It's got electrolytes!
  • Fire 3

The scary thing is that, no matter how hard he tries to shake his adherents, they stay loyal. It's those people America has to be concerned with moving forward.

That's what I've been concerned with since took the lead during the primaries... the celebration of stupidity. It's got electrolytes!

Haha +1. Good movie!

They're not going away. Trumpism isn't just going to slink back into the shadows after November. What becomes of his ragtag coalition after the polls close? What is their endgame? What is the future of the GOP?

Lots of questions about the long term effects of this election.

Completely agree. That many people who actually want to vote for this idiot is very troublesome.

• Fire 1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-lose-back-very-good-000000734.html

Does this sound like a 'winner' or someone who is passionate about winning :dunno . He makes this all about himself but what this self centered egomaniac doesn't realize is that the hopes of millions are resting on his efforts to beat Hillary. That he can just shake off

the presidency as though it was just a game he tried and he can go on wt life regardless.

Some unbelievable quotes from the article:

Donald Trump says if he loses the presidential election to Hillary Clinton, he’d be fine with it because he’s got a lot of money and he’s the one telling the truth.

“I’m a truth teller,” the Republican nominee told CNBC on Thursday. “All I do is tell the truth. And if at the end of 90 days I fall short because I’m somewhat politically [incorrect] even though I’m supposed to be the smart one and even though I’m supposed to have a lot of good ideas, it’s OK. You know, I go back to a very good way of life.”

“It’s not what I’m looking to do,” Trump continued. “I think we’re going to have a victory, but we’ll see.”

But asked about his flailing poll numbers Thursday, he shifted from fear to acceptance.

“At the end, it’s either going to work or I’m going to have a very, very nice long vacation,” he said.