The General Election

Bril....

What????

So, you are saying I should vote for either a slimy life long politician who should be no where close to Washington of a lying sack of crap that has absolutely no clue what he is doing or what is going on in the world?

OR.....should I decide between the three on which one best represents me and is the more mature person.

What is the name of the disorder where people think politicians from the other side are horrible for lying for personal gain while ignoring politicians from their side?

Demopublicans

Or Demopublitarians might be better. All you Johnson lovers crack me up thinking this guy is perfect and the only honest politician out there. He's lied about his past record as governor when running in 2012, and is just your typical politician.

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=210816

Also, it seems that the Johnson supporters on here are following the lead of Johnson himself, always taking a chance to criticize Trump, but taking it much easier on Hillary. It's not a shock to anyone on here on why this is happening given there is much more overlap between the GOP and Libertarian platforms than there are between the Libertarian and Democratic platforms.

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/gary-johnson-criticize-hillary-trump/

Wat?

Nobody on here has said they are in love with Johnson lock step. We've just said he's the only true alternative that isn't an embarrassment. Trump is a POS and Hillary is about as slimmy as a hagfish. Johnson at least has something to offer to both conservatives and liberals in his agenda.

I wasn't really speaking to you Zrod, but there are some on here that constantly bash Trump, rarely bash Hillary, and consistently prop up Johnson as though he doesn't act like a typical politician himself. I don't really like any of those 3 options. With Johnson, I like that he's anti-tax, and he says he's a fiscal conservative but his record is sketchy at best on that. I don't like that he's not focused on border security and that he's so pro-drugs/marijuana. Now if someone like Romney had gotten the libertarian nomination, I would be voting for him easily. If Johnson were smart, he would steal some of Trump's tactics and do something outrageous to get attention in order to give him a chance of getting to 15% before the primary cutoffs (which is coming up soon). That is the only way a 3rd party really has a chance of making a major move is getting on the debate stage. I would say the same for Stein as well as she has a whole bunch of far lefties out there that supported Bernie that don't like Hillary.

This is my first election where I hardly pay attention to policy because of the HUGE character flaws of Clinton - a power hungry Nixon whannabe - and Trump - an immature blow hard. Johnson is a much safer choice. Many of my co-workers feel the same.

What is the name of the disorder where people think politicians from the other side are horrible for lying for personal gain while ignoring politicians from their side?

Demopublicans

Or Demopublitarians might be better. All you Johnson lovers crack me up thinking this guy is perfect and the only honest politician out there. He's lied about his past record as governor when running in 2012, and is just your typical politician.

Also, it seems that the Johnson supporters on here are following the lead of Johnson himself, always taking a chance to criticize Trump, but taking it much easier on Hillary. It's not a shock to anyone on here on why this is happening given there is much more overlap between the GOP and Libertarian platforms than there are between the Libertarian and Democratic platforms.

Wat?

Nobody on here has said they are in love with Johnson lock step. We've just said he's the only true alternative that isn't an embarrassment. Trump is a POS and Hillary is about as slimmy as a hagfish. Johnson at least has something to offer to both conservatives and liberals in his agenda.

He doesn't offer anything to this liberal. I can see why conservatives may think him an option but it really depends on the issues that are important to you. AND, he's not going to win. A vote for him will make the chances of Don being elected higher.

Demopublicans

Wat?

He doesn't offer anything to this liberal. I can see why conservatives may think him an option but it really depends on the issues that are important to you. AND, he's not going to win. A vote for him will make the chances of Don being elected higher.

Poor way a thinking... I don't agree with Johnson on a few issues, but after reviewing all the candidates positions tha knap posted, I'm surprisingly more in line with him than any of the others.

Demopublicans

Wat?

Poor way a thinking... I don't agree with Johnson on a few issues, but after reviewing all the candidates positions tha knap posted, I'm surprisingly more in line with him than any of the others.

What part of this do you think is a poor way of thinking?

Bril....

What????

So, you are saying I should vote for either a slimy life long politician who should be no where close to Washington of a lying sack of crap that has absolutely no clue what he is doing or what is going on in the world?

OR.....should I decide between the three on which one best represents me and is the more mature person.

Wow, it appears I have gotten a rise out of the Johnson lovers on here. You should vote for whoever you want to vote for. All I'm saying is that I have seen a trend on here from Johnson supporters to spend more of their time trying to tear Trump down compared to Hillary. If both are evil in your minds, that is fine, but the minute someone posts something anti-Hillary it seems there is a defense of her or a desire to try to bring Trump into the conversation. This trend is also what Johnson the candidate also appears to be doing. When given the chance to criticize Hillary, he claimed "she's been a great public servant" while not holding back against Trump. If Johnson really thinks Hillary is "a great public servant," that diminishes his judgment in my mind big time.

Demopublicans

Wat?

I would think it's conservative voters that don't want Trump and vote Johnson who are gonna take votes away from Trump.

Article

I can't copy/paste the results but they are:

1) Johnson

2) Stein

3) Trump

4) Clinton

Essentially you can give + and - points so the Trump and Clinton haters drag their opponent down. Really shows how unfavorable both of them are. We are going to be one divided country after this election. Hard to believe after Bush Jr and Obama

Bnil, at some point, you've got to acknowledge that perhaps Trump is just plain worse than Clinton.

It's not some biased trend; that's remarkably similar to what we're hearing from Trump himself regarding the media. It's just he's the far worse candidate offering far more to criticize.

As I've said before, both are terrible candidates and we are faced with bad choices. I am not happy with the current trajectory in this country, as most Americans feel the same with nearly 70% claiming the US is on the wrong track. With Hillary, we would be getting more of the same, but likely worse as she has the corruption to go along with the failed policies of the past 7 years, especially when it comes to ISIS and foreign policy. With Trump, he's a wildcard, and he's obnoxious and says a lot of crazy things to get attention, but we really don't know how he would govern. So yes, there is a risk there, but given the 70% wrong track of this country (which I agree with), I am willing to take that risk.

Now if the Dems had nominated someone like Jim Webb, I would agree with you that he would be far better than Trump. Hillary, not so much.

Or, if Johnson would agree to move down to the VP slot and let Romney lead the Libertarian ticket, I would vote for that in a heartbeat. I would love to see the poll on here add another option with a Romney/Johnson ticket just to see if it changes the results.

Demopublicans

Wat?

I would think it's conservative voters that don't want Trump and vote Johnson who are gonna take votes away from Trump.

Surprisingly Johnson is taking more votes from Hillary than Trump, but not by much. But you are right that Johnson is targeting Trump to try to attract Conservatives.

Demopublicans

Wat?

On the whole, though, polls consistently show Johnson siphoning more support from Clinton than from Trump.

Our board appears to be an exception. That's not completely unexpected. Trump seems to be a hard sell in our neck of the woods.

Demopublicans

Wat?

What part of this do you think is a poor way of thinking?

Like Harry said, most of the people voting for him would probably check the name with an R beside it in a typical election. This cycle is anything but typical as we all know. Also, even though I used to think it as well, the wasted vote cliché is lazy thinking. If everyone has that attitude then, yes, he won't win and nothing will change. We're not locked into these two party races it's just lazy thinking by the populous and good marketing by the parties.

Bnil, at some point, you've got to acknowledge that perhaps Trump is just plain worse than Clinton.

It's not some biased trend; that's remarkably similar to what we're hearing from Trump himself regarding the media. It's just he's the far worse candidate offering far more to criticize.

As I've said before, both are terrible candidates and we are faced with bad choices. I am not happy with the current trajectory in this country, as most Americans feel the same with nearly 70% claiming the US is on the wrong track. With Hillary, we would be getting more of the same, but likely worse as she has the corruption to go along with the failed policies of the past 7 years, especially when it comes to ISIS and foreign policy. With Trump, he's a wildcard, and he's obnoxious and says a lot of crazy things to get attention, but we really don't know how he would govern. So yes, there is a risk there, but given the 70% wrong track of this country (which I agree with), I am willing to take that risk.

Now if the Dems had nominated someone like Jim Webb, I would agree with you that he would be far better than Trump. Hillary, not so much.

Or, if Johnson would agree to move down to the VP slot and let Romney lead the Libertarian ticket, I would vote for that in a heartbeat. I would love to see the poll on here add another option with a Romney/Johnson ticket just to see if it changes the results.

Both are poor candidates, but it's plain as day that one is definitively worse than the other. No one wants Hillary in office but it's very clear that Trump is grossly unfit for office at any level, let alone POTUS. It's not even a risk with Trump. There is absolutely no way that a Trump presidency would be anything but detrimental to the American people. He needs to be defeated and defeated soundly. If you can't see this then you must be entirely removed from logic.

Apparently this Evan McMullin guy is going to try to get on the ballot in all 50 states as a conservative alternative. He may be right up your alley... you may want to look into him. Especially if you're more interested in voting your conscience, so to speak, rather than strategic voting for a major party.

I do take issue with the fact the Republicans try to cast Clinton as status quo and suggest Trump is the change candidate. If you simply look at Clinton's policies, you'll see she's not running on a "keep things the same" platform. Major pushes to reform healthcare, reform criminal justice system, move toward clean energy, major broadband investment, higher education, address risky Wall Street activity, rebuild infrastructure, common sense gun policies, fighting the TPP-- some of this Obama doesn't support, but it's completely dishonest to say she just wants things to stay the same.

People may disagree with the policies, but that's a different conversation.

Despite the 70% "Wrong Track" number you cited, the FiveThirtyEight guys think data shows that presidential approval rating is the more predictive measure for support of an incumbent party (here's a snippet back that up-- can't find the full blurb, but they noted the effect is less bold than it would be if Obama were up for reelection). Regardless, his approval ratings continue to tick up higher and higher as the election nears---

A high presidential approval, very high "Wrong Track", and single digit Congressional approval ratings lead me to believe the executive branch is not the problem.