The General Election

President Tim Kaine

Only if Hillary still limps across the finish line. This is going to be a very interesting 11 days.

Regardless, whoever is elected will be unacceptable in my opinion. I do think Kaine would be better than Hillary however. Joe Biden where are you? Funny how someone can look so much better depending on the crowd you put around him/her.

I have to say that I am very surprised I am having a conversation with you where you are actually defending and promoting people vote party line up and down the ballot.

If that's the case, I would be still in the Republican party voting for Trump. Are you saying that's what I should do because being independent and making decisions on candidates based on their own beliefs and quality of candidate is just simply the wrong way anyone should do it?

I guess maybe this explains your defense of Hillary and why you believe she isn't nearly as bad as Trump. It's because she has a D beside her name.

The alternative you ask??? Think for yourself instead of just following party lines.

amen

Here is a simple but different way of looking at this that quite frankly scares me. I didn't really realize this until I stepped away from a party and looked at things individually.

People don't influence the party's views. The party influences the people's views.

When you sign up for a party and start believing like what you are saying, the party starts influencing how you see the world in the way THEY want you to see it. When that happens in mass, it greatly influences (many times negatively) the direction the country goes. When you step away, it very well might be in a totally illogical way. BUT....they wanted you to view the world that way because it gives them the best chance to gain more power.

That is a sick way of going through life politically.

You are right on this. The group think principle takes over and wala you are a clone of everyone else. Same is true of talk radio. There is really only one guy I care to listen to on talk radio and no I won't say who it is. You also hear it on the left - journalists from many different news sources using the same words to describe an event - like they are all George Soros puppets. Well we all can be puppets. I've thought in years past it is important to be in a party for the primaries and for influencing local elections. I'm now seriously thinking of going independent so my voice can be free of group think pressure.

NYT conservative voice Ross Douthat on The Dangers of Donald Trump.

Last week, he wrote from the same perspective the dangers of Hillary Clinton. Good to see this companion piece, too. I see some things differently of course, but he makes good points here, broadly speaking.

That’s just Russia: From the Pacific Rim to the Middle East, revisionist powers will set out to test Trump’s capacity to handle surprise, hostile actors will seek to exploit the undoubted chaos of his White House, and our allies will build American fecklessness into their strategic plans. And again, all of this is likely to happen without Trump doing the wilder things he’s kind-of sort-of pledged to do — demanding tribute from allies, trying to “take the oil,” etc. He need only be himself in order to bring an extended period of risk upon the world.