Husker facilities, fan support put Mike Riley on level playing field with nemesis Oregon

Husker facilities, fan support put Mike Riley on

level playing field with nemesis Oregon

By Sam McKewon / World-Herald Bureau POSTED: TUESDAY, MAY 3, 2016 12:00 AM

LINCOLN — One month after Mike Riley took the head coaching job at Nebraska, he sat in an ESPN studio analyzing the first College Football Playoff championship game. Ohio State vs. Oregon.
Riley’s Huskers play both of those teams this year. But it’s Oregon that Riley knows almost as well as any man could know a program he didn’t coach himself. The Ducks are, if you will, a lifetime rival in “The Civil War.”

Can't wait to get the Ducks in Memorial Stadium. This game is going to be HUGE! :lol:

• Fire 1

I have the sense that America is really anxious for the Huskers to get back where we belong - at the top of the college football world. Each fall, even after the long drought we've suffered through the past 20 years or so, the television networks seems hopeful that real Husker power returns to the field. We see TV games being set up with the apparent expection or desire that we're back. I know I am, according to some on this Board, overly optimistic and so on. I have not been this way every season as there have about half the seasons over that time span that I was praying we could find a way to pull out 9 wins. The other half of course I was very hopeful as so many other were only to have my spirits dashed by disappointing performances at critical points. This year could certainly be the same but my gut tells me we're gonna show signs of life unlike the past several seasons.

• Fire 1

I have the sense that America is really anxious for the Huskers to get back where we belong - at the top of the college football world. Each fall, even after the long drought we've suffered through the past 20 years or so, the television networks seems hopeful that real Husker power returns to the field. We see TV games being set up with the apparent expection or desire that we're back. I know I am, according to some on this Board, overly optimistic and so on. I have not been this way every season as there have about half the seasons over that time span that I was praying we could find a way to pull out 9 wins. The other half of course I was very hopeful as so many other were only to have my spirits dashed by disappointing performances at critical points. This year could certainly be the same but my gut tells me we're gonna show signs of life unlike the past several seasons.

I agree that we're likely to show signs of life. I would love to think we're going to do more, but we're probably a year or two away from that.

• Fire 1

I agree that we're likely to show signs of life. I would love to think we're going to do more, but we're probably a year or two away from that.

I am hoping we are more than halfway there. It depends if our offensive and defensive line play shows a marked improvement. I think we have the offensive skill players that can go against anybody.

We had three draft pics on the lines. Another few who will get looks in free agency. We have a ton of pure talent across the skill positions.

It's amazing to me that people act as though this staff walked into a rebuilding job.

10 wins this year is more than a reasonable expectation. It should have been obtained last year.

Less than 8 wins, and I care if we give this staff the mid 90s cowboys roster; it will be clear that they aren't the answer. I would just be shocked if this team doesn't win at least 8 next year.

• Fire 5

Oregon has taken a lot of hits as of late. I don't see them being better than 4th or 5th in the P12 this year.

I agree it's not the same Oregon team as a few years ago but they still carry a national perception that would benefit us greatly if we can knock them off. They are also the type of team that has given this team, not necessarily this staff, fits in recent years.

Would go along in proving to ourselves (the team) that we can beat teams like that. Not that Michigan St. last year didnt do that but beating Oregon can only help in that regard.

We had three draft pics on the lines. Another few who will get looks in free agency. We have a ton of pure talent across the skill positions.

It's amazing to me that people act as though this staff walked into a rebuilding job.

10 wins this year is more than a reasonable expectation. It should have been obtained last year.

Less than 8 wins, and I care if we give this staff the mid 90s cowboys roster; it will be clear that they aren't the answer. I would just be shocked if this team doesn't win at least 8 next year.

And our great LB depth that was inherited and how similar our previous staff and this staffs personalities are as well as the schemes both run. Man, we should have won the title last year with our loaded roster

• Fire 4

Lmao, he is at +4 for this post.

This staff did walk into a rebuild. The cupboard was far from bare, but none of the ingredients made a pot roast anybody wanted to eat.

• Fire 7

This staff did walk into a rebuild. The cupboard was far from bare, but none of the ingredients made a pot roast anybody wanted to eat.

+potato

• Fire 2

This is a truth some folks just don't want to hear.

• Fire 1