Pro Football Focus: Westerkamp Top-Graded Power 5 WR

Wide receiver: Jordan Westerkamp, Nebraska Cornhuskers

This one likely comes as something of a surprise, as Westerkamp isn’t showing up on a lot of lists of the best receivers in college football. But he was quietly one of the most productive in 2015, and given the amount of star receivers who have moved on to the NFL since the end of last season, it leaves Westerkamp as the top-graded returner among Power-5 WRs. He was one of the nation’s most dangerous slot receivers a year ago, with his 2.40 yards per route run from that position ranking fifth overall among returners, including second among Power-5 players. But he was more than just an underneath threat – his deep-ball catch rate of 52 percent ranked fourth among returning players. Two other players to keep an eye on at this position are Virginia Tech’s Isaiah Ford and USC’s JuJu Smith-Schuster.

Link

Rivals says he's #2 in the B1G

2. Jordan Westerkamp, Nebraska

Most would agree that wide receiver might be the biggest overall strength on Nebraska’s offense this season, and the face of that group is undoubtedly the senior captain Westerkamp.

A consensus second-team All-Big Ten selection last season, Westerkamp broke the school season record for receptions by a wide out with 65 and tied the record with four straight games with at least 100 receiving yards.

He’s on pace to etch his name as one of the most productive wide receivers ever to play at Nebraska, and as the model of consistency over the past three seasons, there’s little doubt he’ll get there when all is said and done.

Well, it's another good example of how a WR can be great without having blazing speed.

Yes, he is a very good athlete with plenty of speed. But, there are faster on the team and in the receiving corp.

He came in being well versed in rout running to get open and catching balls. Our coaches were able to then just build on that.

Speed is always great. But, I'll take a smart and well coached WR any day over a kid with just pure speed.

The nice thing is we have a WR coach that is excellent at teaching the techniques of the position.

And....BTW.....I believe we are in the process of bringing in more WRs like him.

• Fire 2

I think there is one main reason why people think he might not be fast.

It must be the stache

I like his 40 inch vertical leap....IN HIGH SCHOOL. Will be pretty special to see what he does after college in that dept.

Well, since he worked with Dobson for so long we have to assume it went down by 10 inches… But now with the new strength coach will have gone up by 20 inches… So if my math is correct that means he will now have a vertical jump of 220 inches

Well, it's another good example of how a WR can be great without having blazing speed.

Yes, he is a very good athlete with plenty of speed. But, there are faster on the team and in the receiving corp.

He came in being well versed in rout running to get open and catching balls. Our coaches were able to then just build on that.

Speed is always great. But, I'll take a smart and well coached WR any day over a kid with just pure speed.

The nice thing is we have a WR coach that is excellent at teaching the techniques of the position.

And....BTW.....I believe we are in the process of bringing in more WRs like him.

I know right? 4.5 is soooooo slow for a 40 time. Totally not blazing speed right?

You think he runs under 4.5 at the combine?