Gun Control

1 minute ago, DefenderAO said:

I'd like to hear your side.  Confiscation?  Preemptively imprison gun cultists? (hyperbole, of course).

It's not an easy answer or we may have implemented it.

My side?  I've discussed a number of options.

But...you're the one that keeps talking in high platitudes and never comes up with an actual idea of how to fix the problem.

There is an assault weapon ban.  When it was done before, mass shootings dropped.

There is expanding back ground checks.

There is gun registry.

There is stronger penalties for people who supply guns that are used in a crime.

But....all I hear from you are excuses as to why we can't do any of this.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

It's not an easy answer or we may have implemented it.

It is an easy answer. England did it, Australia did it, New Zealand did it. All confiscated guns, and all saw gun violence plummet.

It's not that there isn't an easy answer (there demonstrably is), it's that people would rather keep their guns and have schoolchildren gunned down in their classrooms than do the easy, sensible thing.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

This is what's being intentionally missed in this argument....that it's mental illness not the guns.  The USA is 29th in depression rates around the world and yet we're second for gun deaths.  

It's simple.  It's our gun culture.

https://wisevoter.com/country-rankings/depression-rate-by-country/

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-deaths-by-country

Now, what groups are the ones depressed?  Is it a conservative Christian problem?  What cultural issue does the US have other countries do not? 

And your comment about tough gun laws states having problems explains the problem.  I assume you're talking Chicago because that seems to be the focus of all NRA loving folks - their guns are coming from IN and etc.  

The solution needs to be a national one.  The data also showing the number of US guns being obtained in places like TX and going on to support Mexican cartel and violence also shows that the state line rules are not viable solutions.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My side?  I've discussed a number of options.

But...you're the one that keeps talking in high platitudes and never comes up with an actual idea of how to fix the problem.

There is an assault weapon ban.  When it was done before, mass shootings dropped.

There is expanding back ground checks.

There is gun registry.

There is stronger penalties for people who supply guns that are used in a crime.

But....all I hear from you are excuses as to why we can't do any of this.

How does an AWB solve Chicago's absurd gun problem?  Register pistols, the weapon of choice for shootings?  

I support stronger penalties, but that is not a pre-empt.  Too reactive.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

This is what's being intentionally missed in this argument....that it's mental illness not the guns.  The USA is 29th in depression rates around the world and yet we're second for gun deaths.  

It's simple.  It's our gun culture.

https://wisevoter.com/country-rankings/depression-rate-by-country/

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-deaths-by-country

I believe we are fully capable of going at this from multiple fronts.  Our healthcare system has major issues and mental health is a big part of that.  We need to address that for many reasons....not just gun violence.

We also have a gun culture issue that needs to be addressed.  The interpretation of the 2nd amendment has been fostered by the gun lobby over the past 50 years to a point where the amendment is being interpreted way different than what it was before.....which adds to this.

Just now, DefenderAO said:

How does an AWB solve Chicago's absurd gun problem?  Register pistols, the weapon of choice for shootings?  

I support stronger penalties, but that is not a pre-empt.  Too reactive.  

I keep asking....what's your solution?  You have none.  You just keep coming up with excuses as to why we can't do anything.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It is an easy answer. England did it, Australia did it, New Zealand did it. All confiscated guns, and all saw gun violence plummet.

It's not that there isn't an easy answer (there demonstrably is), it's that people would rather keep their guns and have schoolchildren gunned down in their classrooms than do the easy, sensible thing.

People don't want to be made into sheep.  The vast majority have a morality not to kill.  

They'd follow the law.  Criminals don't.  

• TBH 1
3 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

And your comment about tough gun laws states having problems explains the problem.  I assume you're talking Chicago because that seems to be the focus of all NRA loving folks - their guns are coming from IN and etc.  

The solution needs to be a national one.  The data also showing the number of US guns being obtained in places like TX and going on to support Mexican cartel and violence also shows that the state line rules are not viable solutions.

TX and Mexico - Eric Holder and Fast and Furious comes to mind.  Is that the type of Federal involvement you're advocating?  

• TBH 3

11 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

We know that the majority of white, christian, male, mass shooters (which make up 95%+ of mass shootings) have been violated in some way in their lives by someone else

Speaking of just wrong….you are way out of the ballpark on this.  just like you were on the type of gun used.  

https://www.statista.com/statistics/476456/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-shooter-s-race/

Race of mass shooters reflects the U.S. population

Broadly speaking, the racial distribution of mass shootings mirrors the racial distribution of the U.S. population as a whole.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I believe we are fully capable of going at this from multiple fronts.  Our healthcare system has major issues and mental health is a big part of that.  We need to address that for many reasons....not just gun violence.

We also have a gun culture issue that needs to be addressed.  The interpretation of the 2nd amendment has been fostered by the gun lobby over the past 50 years to a point where the amendment is being interpreted way different than what it was before.....which adds to this.

I keep asking....what's your solution?  You have none.  You just keep coming up with excuses as to why we can't do anything.

I told you it's difficult.  Completely overhaul the mental health system.  

Let's put you in action - what would you do with these people today?  You want action?  I know what I'd do.  What's your play?

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Why are you so focused on trans people? They make up less than 1% of the population, but they're the focus of most of your posts. 

The people in the link are mentally ill.  In this case it seems to have manifested in gender dysphoria.  The most recent shooter, was/were, was a transgender.  Tell me what prospective, unhinged mass shooting classes are special or exempt.  When thinking soundly and not clouded with contempt, I suspect you'd say none are exempt. Zero.

What would you do here?   You trumpet "not one more life!!"  Here it is in front of you.  They've taken no action yet.  What's your move?  

You all want action and less platitudes.

Here it is.

EDIT: With no effort I found a real example of something that should be handled RIGHT now.  Show me a similar example of a male, female, any race...I'd say the same thing.  

• Plus1 2