Rio Olympics

C N Red

Classless quote from her, she did not execute on those pks down the stretch. Hope could have dove or tried to make saves on them, if you watch her, 3/5 times she flinches and does not move barely. In her defense Sweden had nice shots, but you have to own up to your mistakes and not make excuses.

Agree with your analysis of the tweet but not the PKs. She was moving but the keeper pretty much has to guess which way to go and she was guessing wrong. Once you're moving one way and the kick goes the other way, there's nothing to do.

Yeah I may have been a little harsh to her, it was the last pk where she barely moves in my opinion. Now, the reason we lost wasn't on her 100 percent, but after you give up an easy last goal you own up to your mistakes. I do not like the attitude at all, and as a professional she should know better. Lots of people are watching her and I realize she made a mistake and the odds aren't in her favor. I am going to take it as she was in the moment and didn't mean to say that, but even if it was, it makes the US look bad.

Why are there so many ties in swimming?

Modern timing systems are capable of measuring down to the millionth of a second—so why doesn’t FINA, the world swimming governing body, increase its timing precision by adding thousandths-of-seconds?

As it turns out, FINA used to. In 1972, Sweden’s Gunnar Larsson beat American Tim McKee in the 400m individual medley by 0.002 seconds. That finish led the governing body to eliminate timing by a significant digit. But why?
In a 50 meter Olympic pool, at the current men’s world record 50m pace, a thousandth-of-a-second constitutes 2.39 millimeters of travel. FINA pool dimension regulations allow a tolerance of 3 centimeters in each lane, more than ten times that amount. Could you time swimmers to a thousandth-of-a-second? Sure, but you couldn’t guarantee the winning swimmer didn’t have a thousandth-of-a-second-shorter course to swim. (Attempting to construct a concrete pool to any tighter a tolerance is nearly impossible; the effective length of a pool can change depending on the ambient temperature, the water temperature, and even whether or not there are people in the pool itself.)
  • Fire 3

Why are there so many ties in swimming?

Modern timing systems are capable of measuring down to the millionth of a second—so why doesn’t FINA, the world swimming governing body, increase its timing precision by adding thousandths-of-seconds?

As it turns out, FINA used to. In 1972, Sweden’s Gunnar Larsson beat American Tim McKee in the 400m individual medley by 0.002 seconds. That finish led the governing body to eliminate timing by a significant digit. But why?
In a 50 meter Olympic pool, at the current men’s world record 50m pace, a thousandth-of-a-second constitutes 2.39 millimeters of travel. FINA pool dimension regulations allow a tolerance of 3 centimeters in each lane, more than ten times that amount. Could you time swimmers to a thousandth-of-a-second? Sure, but you couldn’t guarantee the winning swimmer didn’t have a thousandth-of-a-second-shorter course to swim. (Attempting to construct a concrete pool to any tighter a tolerance is nearly impossible; the effective length of a pool can change depending on the ambient temperature, the water temperature, and even whether or not there are people in the pool itself.)

This is actually really fascinating and some awesome insight into the thought process that goes into the games.

https://twitter.com/kbaxter11/status/764182934798606337?lang=en

Classless quote from her, she did not execute on those pks down the stretch. Hope could have dove or tried to make saves on them, if you watch her, 3/5 times she flinches and does not move barely. In her defense Sweden had nice shots, but you have to own up to your mistakes and not make excuses.

Agree with your analysis of the tweet but not the PKs. She was moving but the keeper pretty much has to guess which way to go and she was guessing wrong. Once you're moving one way and the kick goes the other way, there's nothing to do.

Yeah I may have been a little harsh to her, it was the last pk where she barely moves in my opinion. Now, the reason we lost wasn't on her 100 percent, but after you give up an easy last goal you own up to your mistakes. I do not like the attitude at all, and as a professional she should know better. Lots of people are watching her and I realize she made a mistake and the odds aren't in her favor. I am going to take it as she was in the moment and didn't mean to say that, but even if it was, it makes the US look bad.

From what I understand, her coward comment referred to Sweden's conservative play throughout the game, not the PKs. She still should have kept her darn mouth shut, though.

https://twitter.com/kbaxter11/status/764182934798606337?lang=en

From what I understand, her coward comment referred to Sweden's conservative play throughout the game, not the PKs. She still should have kept her darn mouth shut, though.

Yes, supposedly she felt their gameplan was conservative, but even the US coach said regardless of what it was, they made a plan and had the discipline to stay on it. I read somewhere along the way that the coach for Sweden was the coach for the US last olympics and she knew exactly how to get play against the team and against Hope in particular.

As much as I hate the USA to loose, I am always happy when a cocky, mouthy egomaniac gets put in her place on national tv.