Brexit

Talk of Texas leaving the Union is not a good idea, except it might perhaps get a number of not so desirable football teams out of the NCAA. But booting California out would be great. It would end for decades any remote possibility of the Democrats winning the Presidency and or any control of the House of Representatives. Of course, if we sold California to Mexico, we wouldn't have to deport about 7 million illegals either (they'd already be in Mexico again). Both would be dramatic steps forward for the country.

• Fire 3

Trump's as smart as ever:

@realDonaldTrump

Just arrived in Scotland. Place is going wild over the vote. They took their country back, just like we will take America back. No games!

Brexit-vote.png

Scotland voted for independence from England and the vote narrowly failed. Now they're out of the EU and stuck with England.

But booting California out would be great. It would end for decades any remote possibility of the Democrats winning the Presidency and or any control of the House of Representatives. Of course, if we sold California to Mexico, we wouldn't have to deport about 7 million illegals either (they'd already be in Mexico again). Both would be dramatic steps forward for the country.

Good idea.

2016-State-Dependency-Map1.jpg

Also, without California, Obama would have won 310-173, and 277-206. 242 would be needed to win, with this made up scenario. Clinton is currently leading in all states that Obama won in 2012. While that does not mean she'll win, it definitely refutes your "remote possibility" comment.

As far as the House goes, 14/53 California Reps are non-Democrat. 39 votes isn't a huge swing in the House. A short 6 years ago, the Democrats had 78 more seats than the Republicans. Again, "remote possibility" isn't accurate here.

• Fire 2

The statement you posted is your opinion that there is an equivalency between Bush's Katrina response and Hillary's Benghazi response. It's just my observation that you tend to bash Trump or Republicans more often than Democrats. It's no different than the statement you just made that the Right has moved so far right, while acting as though the left has not moved so far left. Both sides have their extremes, and highlighting only one is picking sides and not presenting facts.

I do not think there's an equivalency between the two, and I think I made that very clear. Benghazi, tragedy though it was, pales in comparison to what happened with Katrina. I'm not going to rehash that whole conversation, so if you want to relive it, it's in that thread.

I think you're right that I bash Trump more than Democrats. Trump would make an atrocious president, and the fact that he had the temerity to run is proof that he deserves bashing. I think Obama has been a good president, he'll be remembered well (although not perfectly, and some of his mistakes will take a while to fix), and in general I think Trump is a disaster for the Republicans. I am not alone in that, and thinking either of those things doesn't make me liberal. Moderates, middle-of-the-road guys, can like Obama and not like Trump without being liberal whackos.

The Right has moved further right than the Left has moved left. As the country becomes more liberal in views on marriage, equal rights, and loses its interest in religion - all traditional bastions of the Right, those on the Right have circled their wagons. The rhetoric has become even more pointed, and it's hurting the country. I see that from both sides, but the Right is doing more damage to the country. Things that move the country forward like allowing Gays to marry (which is a no-brainer!) or universal healthcare (another no-brainer!) are being resisted by people from the Right. These aren't liberal agendas, they're simple, basic human rights - FAR more obvious rights than the "right" to carry a gun.

The Left has gotten Leftier, yes. But not so much as the Right has gotten Rightier. If you have an elbow scrape and a broken arm, which one gets more attention? The Right is the broken arm today. Maybe the Left will be tomorrow.

This is a Nebraska sports website. By its nature, it's populated with a lot of very conservative people. Some more than others, and some not so well informed. Therefore the moderates on this site tend to spend a lot of time debunking myths and nonsense from the far Right.

But here's the deal - if this was a Cal Bears website, it'd be populated by more Lefties. Real ones, not me & zoogs that people THINK are Lefties. If there were more Lefties here, spouting Lefty nonsense, as a Moderate I'd be debunking their nonsense, too. It's just the nature of the conversations we have here, and the population on this site, that makes it seem like some of us are "Defending Democrats."

Part of the problem is, you've only been talking to me since 2013, well into the Obama regime. There was a lot of nonsense posted about Bush on various message boards, and here, when he was in office. I debunked that nonsense, too. Facts are facts.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. Everything you just said is pure rubbish (in the spirit of Britain's big vote). Obama will not be remembered well at all. I don't love Trump but he's got a movement going on, and without his bombastic rhetoric, he would be in the lead right now easily over Hillary. As for left vs right, you will continue to fool yourself if you don't believe the Democratic party has moved way left, believing its the government's has an obligation to provide health care, college education, and other social justice programs, while bashing capitalism every chance possible, and when it comes to fighting terrorism, the approach is pacification and weakness in hopes that the bad guys will suddenly change heart if we don't go after them too strongly. Oh, and let's not forget that the Left still believes its ok to kill the pre-born, including in late-term situations. That is simply barbaric when science has shown that the nervous system is formed and these babies can feel the pain inflicted upon them. The ONLY area I see Hillary in the center is when it comes to her views of business as the engine that drives our economy, and even with that Bernie has pulled her to the left. As for debunking facts, you aren't using facts but simply spouting your opinion that the "right is doing more damage to the country." I'm just calling you out that you are pretending to be truly Independent but 90% of the time you are defending and siding with the Democrats OR going on the attack against the GOP.

• Fire 1

No gd way trump could lead.

He would destroy our economy.

And trump doesn't believe in capitalism or free markets. He's a populist who believes only in the cult of himself. And if he has a "movement" going, it's a gd cult.

You can say a lot of things about Trump, but claiming he can't lead is not one of them. We are coming off of 7 years of a failed POTUS that had zero executive experience before he took the job, and it's shown in both his lack of results and his inability to bring both sides together. Trump knows how to make things happen, and sometimes that will mean he will tick off Republicans to pass a compromise.

• Fire 1

And trump doesn't believe in capitalism or free markets. He's a populist who believes only in the cult of himself. And if he has a "movement" going, it's a gd cult.

You can say a lot of things about Trump, but claiming he can't lead is not one of them. We are coming off of 7 years of a failed POTUS that had zero executive experience before he took the job, and it's shown in both his lack of results and his inability to bring both sides together. Trump knows how to make things happen, and sometimes that will mean he will tick off Republicans to pass a compromise.

Trump can't lead.

I'm former military. I have a lot of former colleagues who have openly stated they would consider ignoring orders from him.

He can't lead. He's a thin skinned buffoon. That's the worst combination in an executive.

I can't imagine a worse choice for president at this point, other than maybe palin. I'd include standards but he'd never get his intentions through congress.

Ooh so you're "one of those people"...

Trump can't lead.

I'm former military. I have a lot of former colleagues who have openly stated they would consider ignoring orders from him.

He can't lead. He's a thin skinned buffoon. That's the worst combination in an executive.

I can't imagine a worse choice for president at this point, other than maybe palin. I'd include standards but he'd never get his intentions through congress.

Many people said the exact same thing about Obama. This means absolutely nothing.

• Fire 1

Trump can't lead.

Many people said the exact same thing about Obama. This means absolutely nothing.

Very few said Obama was a thin skinned person.

But in any event, it doesn't matter if people were wrong previously. It's about now and Trump would be an unmitigated disaster.

I can't believe the number of republicans that have checked their brains at the door in support of him.