What are the opinions out there regarding improvement for TA this season? I predict another 3000 yard passing season on fewer attemps and a few less turnovers. Something like 3000 24/8 td to int ratio. Leading to a 9-3 regular season. Losses to Northwestern, after emotional win over Oregon, Ohio State and Iowa.

Edited by Mavric
Merged threads

God I hope it isn't Tanner Lee. He wasn't all that productive at Tulane and was mistake prone. I tend to think it will be POB. It will be decided in season, not just during spring and fall practice of 2017. I think by mid Oct 2017 POB will be the guy.

God I hope it isn't Tanner Lee. He wasn't all that productive at Tulane and was mistake prone. I tend to think it will be POB. It will be decided in season, not just during spring and fall practice of 2017. I think by mid Oct 2017 POB will be the guy.

It will be the guy who runs the system the best. Whether that ends up being POB or Lee is up in the air but my gut says POB. I get the feeling Riley is a lot more prepared to put the guy in who gives us the best shot at winning.

I think the Tanner Lee recruitment -( if there was such a thing and he just didn't pop the question of Riley and Riley, in a bit of a panic attack at thinking he might not have a good QB ready in year 2) - was a little unnerving for me. I would just be shocked and surprised if Lee is 'all that' and if he turns out to be an average pro style QB with an average arm and slow feet, we will suffer through way too many sacks and punts. We will really be an average offense without great QB play. That I am convinced of and while we need to QB to 'game manage' he must also make a difference. Another R. Fyfe is not needed. I'd take my chances with AJ Bush who reminds me of a shiftier J. Lord. He'd make a great WR or even big play tight end. I know we have loads of talent but he's tall and fast. I bet he can get deep pretty well.

Russell wilson struggled at NC state

That's quite a bit of an exaggeration.

He broke the NCAA record for pass attempts without an INT. He led the ACC in passing yards per game and total offense yards per game his last year there. That was also good enough for 10th in the country (total O) and 15th in the country (passing). He threw 76 TDs vs. 26 INTs.

The list could go on but I don't think "struggled" describes it very well.

• Fire 1

He broke the NCAA record for pass attempts without an INT. He led the ACC in passing yards per game and total offense yards per game his last year there. That was also good enough for 10th in the country (total O) and 15th in the country (passing). He threw 76 TDs vs. 26 INTs.

Then he went and led the ACC in INT's after that pass attempts without an INT. Spin Spin Spin we go.

Led the ACC over what time period? His last year there? No, he didn't.

He was up the list a ways but that was also in some part due to throwing the ball 527 times - fifth most in the country. Out of the 24 QBs who threw the most INTs that year, only three threw the ball more than he did. And he threw for the 12th most yards in the country.

So he wasn't great at protecting the ball. But that's one area. He was near the top a lot of the categories you want to be at the top of.

I don't think that's struggling overall. No matter how you try to spin it.

Then he went and led the ACC in INT's after that pass attempts without an INT. Spin Spin Spin we go.

Led the ACC over what time period? His last year there? No, he didn't.

He was up the list a ways but that was also in some part due to throwing the ball 527 times - fifth most in the country. Out of the 24 QBs who threw the most INTs that year, only three threw the ball more than he did. And he threw for the 12th most yards in the country.

So he wasn't great at protecting the ball. But that's one area. He was near the top a lot of the categories you want to be at the top of.

I don't think that's struggling overall. No matter how you try to spin it.

Broke the record on Sept 19, 2009. Threw 11 INTs that year and 14 the following year. I stand corrected on leading the ACC in that category...he was merely middle of the pack. His stats The stats I choose to look at rank right up there with Tanner Lee's time spent at Tulane and even Tommy's first few years at the helm. He needed Wisconsin's line and the lack of defenses geared to shut down the pass to become great.

FIFY

What are your thoughts on the QB situation, because we've got some really good freshman QBs coming in, and a starting QB that just doesn't fit the offense in my opinion, thoughts on tommy? Future of our QBs?

If the coaches call plays that fit what Tommy does well, everything should be fine.

If the coaches want him to throw the ball 40+ times every game, we're screwed.

And while I am really excited about the incoming prospects, putting all our money on a true freshman quarterback isn't really a smart way to invest.

Russell Wilson:

Fr - 150/275, 54.5%, 1955 yards, 7.1 ypa, 17 TDs, 1 INT, 133.9 rating

So - 224/378, 59.3%, 3027 yards, 8.0 ypa, 31 TDs, 11 INTs, 147.8 rating

Jr - 308/527, 58.4 %, 3563 yards, 6.8 ypa, 28 TDs, 14 INTs, 127.5 rating

Tanner Lee:

Fr - 185/336, 55.1%, 1962 yards, 5.8 ypa, 12 TDs, 14 INTs, 107.6 rating

So - 143/276, 51.8%, 1639 yards, 5.9 ypa, 11 TDs, 7 INTs, 109.8 rating

Tommy Armstrong

Fr - 68/131, 51.9%, 966 yards, 7.4 ypa, 9 TDs, 8 INTs, 124.3 rating

So - 184/345, 53.3%, 2695 yards, 7.8 ypa, 22 TDs, 12 INTs, 133.0 rating

Jr - 222/402, 55.2%, 3030 yards, 7.5 ypa, 22 TDs, 16 INTs, 128.6 rating

The part where you're still arguing that Lee is in any way comparable to Wilson is laughable. Wilson is noticeably better in percentage, yards, yards per attempt, TDs, INTs and rating. There are really no stats for you to make that claim off of so you're apparently just making it up.

Comparing TA's freshman year percentage and ypa to Wilson is fairly close but Wilson was significantly better in TDs, INTs and rating. Wilson was significantly better in everything other than yards per attempt their next two years.

So please let me know what stats you are using to say they rank right up there with Wilson.

• Fire 1