For me it just comes down to how quickly the new talent making starts can adjust to it. I feel like on Defense we are going to be much saltier than people think, but from sheer lack of experience we will give up some big plays.

I'm feeling a 9-3 season and that would be acceptable I think. I say that expecting 2017 to be a giant leap forward.

Considering that we return 6 out of 7 starters in the back seven and several backups played significantly last year, I don't think big plays that are given up can be attributed to lack of experience.

Oh it will be, thats how the "we will get em next yr." crowd rolls

I'm not looking to make excuses, I'm looking at it in terms of a general coaching change. (I've done no research to support this, merely my opinion based off what I've seen and remember).

Some coaches excel right away or in year 2 but that usually happens at a school that was forced to change coaches on the heels of an ugly scandal or that school is located in the SEC or is Ohio State.

Again, just my opinion.

How many times do I have to point this out to you ? You appear to have no knowledge of Nebraska football history and your excuse making never ends.

In 1961 Nebraska's coach was Bill Jennings. His record in 1961 was 3-6-1. Jennings was fired at the end of the 1961 season. He was fired because of his poor performance.

No scandal... not in SEC and not Ohio State.

Nebraska hired Bob Devaney as our new coach. In 1962... Devaney's first year as head coach at Nebraska he led the team to a 9-2 record. In 1963 he led the team to a 10-1 record. Devaney went on to win 2 National Championships for Nebraska.

There is no better example of what hiring a great coach can do for a team and program and the immediate success that it can bring.

For me it just comes down to how quickly the new talent making starts can adjust to it. I feel like on Defense we are going to be much saltier than people think, but from sheer lack of experience we will give up some big plays.

I'm feeling a 9-3 season and that would be acceptable I think. I say that expecting 2017 to be a giant leap forward.

Considering that we return 6 out of 7 starters in the back seven and several backups played significantly last year, I don't think big plays that are given up can be attributed to lack of experience.

I'm not looking to make excuses, I'm looking at it in terms of a general coaching change. (I've done no research to support this, merely my opinion based off what I've seen and remember).

-Year 1 can go either really well or really crappy depending on what kind of system the new coach wants to run. If it's different, expect closer to crappy. Unfortunately that's what we got.

-Year 2 the returning players are more comfy and want to do better than last year. Some glitches from previous year get fixed and the record improves.

-Year 3 most the players on the team are familiar with the system and weren't starting when it came in or they were recruited for it. If by year 3 you are still turning in a 4-5 loss season, the coach has probably hit his ceiling.

Some coaches excel right away or in year 2 but that usually happens at a school that was forced to change coaches on the heels of an ugly scandal or that school is located in the SEC or is Ohio State.

Again, just my opinion.

I'm flabbergasted that someone would think that it's easier to have a great season in year 2 if a pile of crap was inherited.

And heck, we aren't even talking about a great season by historical standards. We are talking about a season on par with the 7 year rolling average under the fired coach (who had a pristine off the field record).

I think the team comes together after the loss of Sam Foltz and comes out hot. But the end of the season is rough due to lack of experienced depth along the defensive line and we lose a few games.

9-3 regular season with a Big Ten title game appearance.

• Fire 1

I think the team comes together after the loss of Sam Foltz and comes out hot. But the end of the season is rough due to lack of experienced depth along the defensive line and we lose a few games.

Injuries could devastate this team. We aren't deep enough to overcome normal attrition. We need to be healthier than average this year to have a decent record.

Injuries could devastate this team. We aren't deep enough to overcome normal attrition. We need to be healthier than average this year to have a decent record.
Yes sir. Spot on.

This team is as deep as 90 to95% of teams in the country. So it should be able to finish in the top 5% to 10% and no worse than top 20% this season, even with injuries.

Name a season where the previous HC's who won at least 9 games didn't lose a key contributor or more to injury.

#tiredoftheexcusemaking

The successful ones do.

Easy to say after the fact, can't really judge our situation fairly yet.

Lane Kiffin at USC for example or Nick Saban at Alabama, yeah we can pass a judgement there.

Again, just my opinion.

How many times do I have to point this out to you ? You appear to have no knowledge of Nebraska football history and your excuse making never ends.

In 1961 Nebraska's coach was Bill Jennings. His record in 1961 was 3-6-1. Jennings was fired at the end of the 1961 season. He was fired because of his poor performance.

No scandal... not in SEC and not Ohio State.

Nebraska hired Bob Devaney as our new coach. In 1962... Devaney's first year as head coach at Nebraska he led the team to a 9-2 record. In 1963 he led the team to a 10-1 record. Devaney went on to win 2 National Championships for Nebraska.

There is no better example of what hiring a great coach can do for a team and program and the immediate success that it can bring.

Your big example is from 1961. If you can't see why that makes it completely irrelvant in 2016 I see no point in continuing this discussion.

Depends on the position but yeah it really could. We need a solid year from key spots without having to plug holes because of injury or lack of production. To finish atop the West, we need a solid team for 12 weeks.

This team is as deep as 90 to95% of teams in the country. So it should be able to finish in the top 5% to 10% and no worse than top 20% this season, even with injuries.

Name a season where the previous HC's who won at least 9 games didn't lose a key contributor or more to injury.

#tiredoftheexcusemaking

Where in the hell are you getting those percentages?
  • Fire 1

#tiredoftheexcusemaking

Where in the hell are you getting those percentages?

Where are you and others getting ones that pretend like we are deathly thin compared to be rest of the field?

We have a talented roster. Adjusted for attrition, it's a top 25 roster. That means it's probably pretty much in a dead heat with numbers 11-35, give or take some spots. With 128 teams in FBS, that puts us solidly among the top 15%. I gave a little bump i guess because I'm a bit of a homer for our players. And because we are way out ahead of most of our scheduled opponents.

Point is, NU's roster is not as thin as those propositioning excuses would like to believe.

• Fire 1

The successful ones do.

Easy to say after the fact, can't really judge our situation fairly yet.

Lane Kiffin at USC for example or Nick Saban at Alabama, yeah we can pass a judgement there.

It's easy to say because it is an extremely reliable predictor of success. I really wish Hail Varsity would publish their article from the yearbook on the importance of year 2 in a coach's tenure.

Here's an older (and shorter) article along the same concepts: http://hailvarsity.com/news/hot-reads-win-quickly/2015/08/

I'll scan and upload the pages tonight.

• Fire 1

If NU loses to Indiana, it's Purdue part 2. #Unacceptable

Purdue over the last 3 years

1-11

3-9

2-10

Indiana over the last 3 years

5-7

4-8

6-7

Yeah, not really comparable. Purdue is garbage on both sides of the ball, while Indiana has had a really good offense for a few years now, plus they always seem to play the big boys really close. Plus, Kevin Wilson's offense is the type to torch Banker's D.