A man you can bait with a Tweet

The day after Donald Trump's unfortunate Charlottesville statement, he came back with a scripted response that the White House staff assured him would quiet the outcry. It was bullsh#t, but a PR no-brainer designed so the administration could move on to more important things.

The next day Trump has a softball lined up: announcing an Infrastructure bill. There's almost nothing but good that could come out of an infrastructure bill -- barely a partisan position to take.  If the GOP and Trump had led with infrastructure back in February, they could have made their lives easier. Whatever.

But Donald Trump was so incensed that he'd backed down on his "many sides" improv that he blew the whole thing up. Not only did he double down on his original statement at this unrelated press conference, he went on to spend an entire week defending the Confederacy.

Earning zero political capital from infrastructure -- something America needs far more than a border wall.  

He is willing to blow up his most valuable assets to defend his most frail insecurity.

I thought I was getting used to this after two years, but that was a doozy. They'll put "Baited with a Tweet" on his gravestone.

• Plus1 2

I'm not going to paste any of the other tweets from this morning. Most of them are fairly odd things for a president to be tweeting during a national disaster bearing down on us.

But this one made me laugh. We have a new plan for how to make Mexico pay for the wall! :nanalama

Our brilliant new plan, summed up in one word: Other.

:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound

• Plus1 1

I agree w/the weird content of tweets this morning considering what is happening in TX.  Just proves how disconnected he is.  If he ends one more of the TX tweets w/an apostrophe I might pull my eyelashes out.  So inappropriate.

But this .... isn't there are rule about people using their office to promote for others?  Didn't Kelly Anne get formally reprimanded for doing just this?

• Plus1 4

Re: legality of this, it's not legal. Pretty clear from the DOJ website:

5 CFR 2635.702 - Use of public office for private gain.

An employee may not use his public office for his own private gain or for that of persons or organizations with which he is associated personally. An employee's position or title should not be used to coerce; to endorse any product, service or enterprise; or to give the appearance of governmental sanction.

He may be able to get away with it because he used his @rDT twitter handle, but he's the president! It's embarrassing how openly he is trampling our ethical norms and rule of law.

Also, let's get one thing straight about Sheriff David Clarke. He is NOT a "great person." He's a gigantic piece of s#$%.

• Plus1 1

You know, I'd actually like to see more of this from Hillary. Don't take on Trump directly, just go and tweet responses to things as if she were the President. In addition to driving Trump nuts, as the losing candidate there's nobody in a better position to highlight the important differences (love her or hate her). Sort of like the 'shadow minister, shadow cabinet' idea. There's an outside chance it will pressure Trump into emulating her behavior.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, zoogs said:

You know, I'd actually like to see more of this from Hillary. Don't take on Trump directly, just go and tweet responses to things as if she were the President. In addition to driving Trump nuts, as the losing candidate there's nobody in a better position to highlight the important differences (love her or hate her). Sort of like the 'shadow minister, shadow cabinet' idea. There's an outside chance it will pressure Trump into emulating her behavior.

You know, you're right. 

Also, while I'm loathe to politicize such things even in the midst of what I find to be a bizarre Twitter reaction from the actual president on this situation, Obama's message of support has far more RTs/Likes than does Trump's, even with all his bot support. To quote a great American: SAD!