Fall Camp Position Battles - Quarterback

Taylor wasn't some master at selling it, but I always thought Tim Beck did a pretty good job with the option pass game catching defenses off guard.

theres a lot that goes into it more than just the play fake too. it's design in blocking scheme, 1st steps taken by lineman, initial actions by backs and receivers. All adjusted and called for based on the reads a staff thinks the defense is making. Like Wisconsin game in 2014. it took Wiscy's coaches 1 quarter to figure out how our safeties were reading run fits and used that info to trick em to a particular gap, and simply ran through a different one. And we never adjusted thru 3 quarters of play, where most adjust after 1 bad play. If youre good enough and patient enough to set guys up and figure what theyre reading, it really makes playaction hum if you execute properly. Cuz in football with guys running 40 yards in 4.5 seconds, 1 simple false step is an eternity.

If we want to actually talk about the QBs....

Tommy is "vastly improved" this year, "mechanics are much more solid".

Tommy threw a pick six on the second play of 7v7 today.

Cue the meltdown. :)

I think the plan is...

IF TA's passing-decision making starts leading to turnovers... and that's IF...

Then the coaches can tweak the offence to more run plays and designed quarterback run plays... hoping that leads to fewer turnovers.

I think the coaching staff will attempt that first... and they will give that a really hard and sustained attempt... before sending in any backups.

We could even end up being a run first team again ?

In fact I just don't see any backups getting any playing time this year unless we are way ahead in games or unless injuries force the issue.

Just stop....that isn't happening with this coaching staff.

And weren't you the one that kept talking about reality in another thread? I think you were...this is another reality for you, this coaching staff is never going to have a run first mentality.

How is that even a competition? Short of both TA and Fyfe being injured, there is no situation where Bush shouldn't be the #3 QB this year, and depending on when in the year, maybe not even then.

I think this could be best considered a talking point and little else, for reasons I'm sure we both agree on and don't need to be explicitly stated. O'Brien still probably wouldn't play a snap even if he were technically #3 on the depth chart.

The only other reason he'd say this is if he were laying the groundwork for the possibility O'Brien would eventually compete against Fyfe for the #2 job this season, but this is highly unlikely.

• Fire 1

I think there's an optics issue, too. If O'Brien is told he's clearly #4, he may feel pretty upset about that, which could hurt his development and make him consider a transfer to somewhere closer to home.

I hope that he takes a lesson from some previous QBs, including an NC winner/future pro, iirc, who were buried low on a depth chart earlier in their career.

People already seem to be discounting whether POB will even take a snap at Nebraska because of Gebbia. I think that's crazy premature. Almost no players arrives to college at a physical, mental or emotional CFB level - almost every single player gets on the field based on how they develop after enrolling. That's why so many prize recruits get passed up.

I think there's an optics issue, too. If O'Brien is told he's clearly #4, he may feel pretty upset about that, which could hurt his development and make him consider a transfer to somewhere closer to home.

I hope that he takes a lesson from some previous QBs, including an NC winner/future pro, iirc, who were buried low on a depth chart earlier in their career.

People already seem to be discounting whether POB will even take a snap at Nebraska because of Gebbia. I think that's crazy premature. Almost no players arrives to college at a physical, mental or emotional CFB level - almost every single player gets on the field based on how they develop after enrolling. That's why so many prize recruits get passed up.

if there's been open dialogue about redshirting, he might as well be 10th on the depth chart. And shouldnt give a damn at all. I hope he's smart enought to understand that. if he doesnt, eh, probably not best to be qb. If he does, and is just upset about it, so be it. That's his prerogative.

I think it's very plausible O'Brien and Gebbia are both not on the roster within a few years anyways, particularly now that Lee has been granted two full years of eligibility. If Lee ends up being the starter for two years beginning in 2017, that means O'Brien would have two potential years as a starter and Gebbia three (assuming redshirts, that my math doesn't suck and no injuries.)

There are clearly a lot of ifs and unknowns with this scenario.

I think it's very plausible O'Brien and Gebbia are both not on the roster within a few years anyways, particularly now that Lee has been granted two full years of eligibility. If Lee ends up being the starter for two years beginning in 2017, that means O'Brien would have two potential years as a starter and Gebbia three (assuming redshirts, that my math doesn't suck and no injuries.)

There are clearly a lot of ifs and unknowns with this scenario.

I'd say neither of them is on the roster in six years. :lol:

I could see POB transferring if Lee wins the job next year. You'd think he'd stick around and be the odds-on favorite to start as a Junior but you never know.

I doubt Gebbia would. He could reshirt Lee's first year and be in line for the starting job as a RS Soph.

Transferring out because you don't win the starting job at QB as a soph in a big time program? I am not sure how much another big time school would be interested in someone with that attitude. Now, a lower division program, sure. But why would a confident young player simply quit unless the Coaches gave him a direct indication he would never or could not win the job at all. Doesn't make sense to me. Quitters never win, as they say.

Transferring out because you don't win the starting job at QB as a soph in a big time program? I am not sure how much another big time school would be interested in someone with that attitude.

They'd be very interested if he's a good player, because this happens all the time in college football.

I would cite the Stephenson (sp? Wisconsin recruit at RB we accepted and he turned out to be not much at all). Spoiled brats who can't earn their starting spot and want to quit and go someplace else are very unlikely to be successful anywhere - absent the exceptional case. Young people today are used to fast food, immediate gratification without effort, etc so who knows. For me, I would rather not recruit somebody who thinks he deserves to start because he's a star and doesn't feel he needs to win the job by honorable competition. Coaches who promise a prized recruit he or she will start right away are fools and this approach will ultimately blow up in their faces. I hope Riley and Co are not doing this. I don't see any evidence of it at all. We are recruiting like crazy all the top players in hopes of landing a solid 4 star caliber class. Not going to get a bevy of 5 stars at this point in Nebraska football as a program but we are working to get back to the future.

I swear this guy lives in a literal manifestation of Pleasantville from the Toby McGuire 90's flick

There's nothing wrong AT ALL about a college football player wanting to have the opportunity to actually PLAY college football, and if that pursuit leads them to transfer, that doesn't mean that they're a spoiled, entitled brat millenial.

• Fire 1

I swear this guy lives in a literal manifestation of Pleasantville from the Toby McGuire 90's flick

There's nothing wrong AT ALL about a college football player wanting to have the opportunity to actually PLAY college football, and if that pursuit leads them to transfer, that doesn't mean that they're a spoiled, entitled brat millenial.

No kidding!