Fall Camp Position Battles - Quarterback

I think it's very plausible O'Brien and Gebbia are both not on the roster within a few years anyways, particularly now that Lee has been granted two full years of eligibility. If Lee ends up being the starter for two years beginning in 2017, that means O'Brien would have two potential years as a starter and Gebbia three (assuming redshirts, that my math doesn't suck and no injuries.)

There are clearly a lot of ifs and unknowns with this scenario.

Now I know he wasn't really playing with the same caliber of players as what Nebraska will give him. But Tanner Lee's stats at Tulane don't necessarily give me the indication that he is some kind of shoe in to start one game, let alone 2 years.

Well, he was a true freshman in his first year. In his second year, he sat out something like 3-4 games with an injury and had to battle that injury (I believe a broken finger on his throwing hand) throughout the remainder of 2015, never fully reaching 100 percent.

In my opinion, people who criticize his stats from his first two years are not taking the entire situation into context. It doesn't mean he'll all of sudden be lights out if he becomes starter; however, it does explain why some of his stats weren't great in the first two years. Inexperience and injuries are incredibly challenging.

Why do so many of these threads this time of year always end up a discussion of fans thinking some player is upset and going to transfer unless he plays?

Because that's how things work more and more all over college football - especially at QB. See Cody Green and Johnny Stanton for recent Husker examples and numerous examples from around the country.

Green and Stanton transferred after multiple years of being buried on the depth chart. Both were given opportunities to show what they could do and they failed to break into the long term starting roll.

This is very different than POB who is just now starting his Freshman year and Gebbia who hasn't even started his senior year in HS.

There are also LOTS of QBs who stick with their original team even though they are stuck at second or third string.

I just roll my eyes when half way through fall camp it always turns to XYZ is probably going to transfer.

Transferring out because you don't win the starting job at QB as a soph in a big time program? I am not sure how much another big time school would be interested in someone with that attitude. Now, a lower division program, sure. But why would a confident young player simply quit unless the Coaches gave him a direct indication he would never or could not win the job at all. Doesn't make sense to me. Quitters never win, as they say.

Honestly, I think you'd be surprised. Teams are going to take a chance on players they believe can help them win, and transfers between programs are incredibly common place nowadays.

Plus, the idea that people should sit and ride the pine at a big time program is silly, antiquated and mostly ridiculous. You only get four years, and typically at best five, to play college sports. Most athletes don't even go on to professional leagues. So, warm the bench at a place where you're unlikely to be the starter, or transfer to another program where you'd have a chance to play?

Nick Bahe is a great example of someone who realized sticking it out at the "big time program" wasn't going to be what he thought it was; so, he transferred to Creighton and had a nice career. There's nothing wrong with that.

Why do so many of these threads this time of year always end up a discussion of fans thinking some player is upset and going to transfer unless he plays?

Because that's how things work more and more all over college football - especially at QB. See Cody Green and Johnny Stanton for recent Husker examples and numerous examples from around the country.

Green and Stanton transferred after multiple years of being buried on the depth chart. Both were given opportunities to show what they could do and they failed to break into the long term starting roll.

This is very different than POB who is just now starting his Freshman year and Gebbia who hasn't even started his senior year in HS.

There are also LOTS of QBs who stick with their original team even though they are stuck at second or third string.

I just roll my eyes when half way through fall camp it always turns to XYZ is probably going to transfer.

Nobody has said they are probably going to transfer. All that's been talked about is a hypothetical scenario in which they might want to given certain other circumstances in the future.

It's not really different, because we aren't talking present tense. We're talking about a rabbit hole imaginary future.

Green and Stanton were both here two years. POB would be here either 1.5 or 2.5 years depending on when that might come up.

I previously said I didn't think Lee's status will matter to Gebbia. But I think it's possible with POB.

However, I won't be surprised at all if either POB or Gebbia do not graduate from here. In fact, I'll probably be a bit surprised if they both do. That's just how it goes now-a-days.

Point being made is why do we constantly have to bring up why half our team is going to transfer when the numbers say that less then 3% of players actually transfer and in the case of NU over the past 2 seasons that number is very low considering a new staff. Yes you can always look at the 120+ teams and find some examples of players transferring - just seems like a silly topic to bring up so often when it happens in very few cases.