Fall Camp Position Battles - Quarterback

Why do so many of these threads this time of year always end up a discussion of fans thinking some player is upset and going to transfer unless he plays?

Point being made is why do we constantly have to bring up why half our team is going to transfer when the numbers say that less then 3% of players actually transfer and in the case of NU over the past 2 seasons that number is very low considering a new staff. Yes you can always look at the 120+ teams and find some examples of players transferring - just seems like a silly topic to bring up so often when it happens in very few cases.

Because it's likely to happen at the QB spot. As we've just seen.

The crazy thing is POB could very well see playing time this season if it goes anything like 2013 did. He's a lot closer to playing than some may think on the surface. I'm guessing many people didn't think Ron Kellogg III would see the amount of PT he did in 2013, mostly due to injuries.

I think the coaches will still do what they can to redshirt him, if possible. But, if TA goes down and Fyfe has another Purdue performance, POB could very well have to step up.

Why do so many of these threads this time of year always end up a discussion of fans thinking some player is upset and going to transfer unless he plays?

Point being made is why do we constantly have to bring up why half our team is going to transfer when the numbers say that less then 3% of players actually transfer and in the case of NU over the past 2 seasons that number is very low considering a new staff. Yes you can always look at the 120+ teams and find some examples of players transferring - just seems like a silly topic to bring up so often when it happens in very few cases.

Bush transferring is totally different than people predicting that POB or Gebbia is going to transfer in the future.

I didn't mean to belabor the point. It's just as common as people complaining about uniforms in the off season. There is always attrition with players who are stuck at 3rd string or lower. But, I roll my eyes at discussing possible transfers of players that haven't even played their senior season of HS yet or who have just starting their true freshman year.

The crazy thing is POB could very well see playing time this season if it goes anything like 2013 did. He's a lot closer to playing than some may think on the surface. I'm guessing many people didn't think Ron Kellogg III would see the amount of PT he did in 2013, mostly due to injuries.

I think the coaches will still do what they can to redshirt him, if possible. But, if TA goes down and Fyfe has another Purdue performance, POB could very well have to step up.

Precisely. This really opened the door for him to see playing time. Obviously we want TA to do well this year and stay healthy though.

• Fire 1

This actually kinda stinks.

AJ being the QB3 -- who knows, you could go through a season and between injuries and poor play, end up with an upside-down depth chart -- is a lot different from having a true freshman's redshirt hang in the balance. That's where we are now, right?

AJ being the QB3 -- who knows, you could go through a season and between injuries and poor play, end up with an upside-down depth chart -- is a lot different from having a true freshman's redshirt hang in the balance. That's where we are now, right?

At least we have 3 QB's to play instead of the 2 we had last year.

If something happens and we need the depth badly, I would assume ZD can flip back to QB if needed.

Dude is a beast.

If he was in a spread offense, he'd be a top contender for post season awards.

Cest le vie

Tommy averaged 261 yards a game - mostly passing - running a spread offense in 2014.

Tommy averaged 285 yards a game - mostly passing - running whatever you want to call Langdorf's offense in 2015.

He was #2 in Total Offense in the Big 10 both years.

He would have been a top contender for post season awards in both seasons if Nebraska was also a contender.

Oh yeah. And the interceptions. He was a maddeningly inconsistent decision-maker under both coaching staffs.

But you knew that.

• Fire 1

Dude is a beast.

If he was in a spread offense, he'd be a top contender for post season awards.

Cest le vie

Tommy averaged 261 yards a game - mostly passing - running a spread offense in 2014.

Tommy averaged 285 yards a game - mostly passing - running whatever you want to call Langdorf's offense in 2015.

He was #2 in Total Offense in the Big 10 both years.

He would have been a top contender for post season awards in both seasons if Nebraska was also a contender.

Oh yeah. And the interceptions. He was a maddeningly inconsistent decision-maker under both coaching staffs.

But you knew that.

No see if Bo were here last year you would have seen the remarkable strides they were destined to make together as player and coach. Cause remember how much better a passer T-Magic was after his Sophmore year?

Bush transferring is totally different than people predicting that POB or Gebbia is going to transfer in the future.

I didn't mean to belabor the point. It's just as common as people complaining about uniforms in the off season. There is always attrition with players who are stuck at 3rd string or lower. But, I roll my eyes at discussing possible transfers of players that haven't even played their senior season of HS yet or who have just starting their true freshman year.

Yeah, you can try to convince yourself that it's a totally different situation and roll your eyes all you want. Doesn't mean it's wrong.

Quarterbacks want to play but only one (basically) gets to.

If they're stuck down the depth chart, many see their only remedy is to transfer.

They have to transfer early - it doesn't do them any good to wait until after their junior year to transfer. They basically have to transfer after year two. That way they have time to either sit a year or go JUCO then back up.

It happens all the time. Everywhere. Not to every quarterback. But a good number of them. Here's a list of 30 of them just this year.

Bush would have been the QB who'd been here the longest five months from now. He was right on the edge of being the top non-senior on the depth chart. He still thought it was better for him to transfer somewhere else and try again. If POB feels he's been beat out by Lee after spring ball next year, he may feel he has a better chance of starting by leaving then so he can either play at a JUCO or get a year under his belt at a new school because he could do that and still have another year to play rather than waiting here for two years for Lee to graduate and then still not even know if he'd be the starter at that time. If POB is the starter next year as a redshirt freshman, Gebbia is either going to have to beat out a returning starter or face waiting four years to play. It is very likely that at least one of them will not exhaust there eligibility here. I would be happy to bet about whatever you wanted on that scenario.

That's simply the reality of the situation.