Fall Camp Position Battles - Quarterback

"very likely" is a little strong. The way you talk there would be no program in the country that has more than 2 solid QB's - one being an upperclassmen that starts and the second being an underclassmen that is going to start in a year or two. If a qb is 3rd string and doesn't see that changing until there senior year and possibly still being 2nd or 3rd string then they have a decision to make - Am I here for NU or am I looking to start somewhere else. This is a very fair question for these young men to ask themselves and whatever answer they decide should be respected by all.

"very likely" is a little strong. The way you talk there would be no program in the country that has more than 2 solid QB's

Maybe very likely is a little strong, but the way you talk "very likely" and "100% likely" are apparently the same thing?

Not to mention the part where I was talking about one specific situation that was "very likely" to happen but he had to try to apply it to every situation everywhere to try to discredit it.

Mav

Why is it "very likely" in NU's situation and how is our situation more likely then the other 125 teams in the country?

If anything it should be less likely here because there won't be 5+ QB's recruited by this staff when that decision needs to be made by these young men.

Mav

Why is it "very likely" in NU's situation and how is our situation more likely then the other 125 teams in the country?

If anything it should be less likely here because there won't be 5+ QB's recruited by this staff here when that decision needs to be made by these young men.

I already answered that above.

Nice post there, you really didn't answer the question which was how is our situation so much more likely then the other 125+ teams out there - as I stated, if anything it should be less likely since we will not have any guys that are upperclassmen with multiple years experience with this system/staff.

Nice post there, you really didn't answer the question which was how is our situation so much more likely then the other 125+ teams out there - as I stated, if anything it should be less likely since we will not have any guys that are upperclassmen with multiple years experience with this system/staff.

Keep arguing in the abstract. Makes it fun.

I think TA will continue to be TA. I just hope the decision making gets a little better and translates to fewer picks. I also hope the coaches put him into better situations to play out his strengths.......I'm actually pretty excited for next year seeing Tanner Lee vs POB. I anticipate more productions from the receiving corp and hopefully a lot fewer picks than last year.

I think TA will continue to be TA. I just hope the decision making gets a little better and translates to fewer picks. I also hope the coaches put him into better situations to play out his strengths.......I'm actually pretty excited for next year seeing Tanner Lee vs POB. I anticipate more productions from the receiving corp and hopefully a lot fewer picks than last year.

I agree with you. I just don't see TA all of a sudden becoming way more accurate and making fewer bad judgment decisions. I really hope he proves both of us wrong this season. Hopefully if we establish a good running game and roll him out more it will help the entire offense as he's never going to be a pocket passer.

I agree with you. I just don't see TA all of a sudden becoming way more accurate and making fewer bad judgment decisions. I really hope he proves both of us wrong this season. Hopefully if we establish a good running game and roll him out more it will help the entire offense as he's never going to be a pocket passer.

2nd year in the same system...familiarity with what the coaches want.

Optimism that TA will figure this out, get familiar with audibles and schemes, an throw less picks. He doesn't need to be all american, just serviceable.

I hope you are right. Based upon what we have seen in practice, it seems like he has not reached the "serviceable" stage yet. I personally don't think most of his mistakes last year were a result of audibles and schemes. Many of the INTs were either really bad decisions to throw the ball, or really bad execution in terms of hitting his target.

For all you supporters of the disappointed underclassman transfer practice, this transfer highlights the problems therewith. Bush transfers to some other school and presumably will start out at the bottom and have to earn his way up the team's depth chart. He leaves Nebraska as the clear number 3 guy with only two seniors ahead of him. Rarely has Nebraska football had but one starting QB make it through the year without a bump or bruise or something. It is not terribly unlikely to have the top two QBs go down making Bush the starter. One major injury to Tommy this fall and it is quite probable that by mid season Bush would assume the starting role as Fyfe has demonstrated he is at best 'back up' material destined to be the emergency fill in until somebody else can be installed. As a senior, he cannot reasonably basis be called 'the future' of the program at QB.

Now the redshirt season for POB is pretty much out of the question, which suits me fine, but apparently bothered many on this board. If as many argue POB should not play this year, we are then facing yet again the ugly prospect of entering a season without a returning QB with ANY game experience in Lincoln at all. NONE. This being the third year of the Riley experiment, that ought to give even the most confident supporter cause for alarm. Tanner Lee comes with some collegiate experience but not in our offense or at the Big Ten level of major college ball but he will have had to sit out for entire year and the live action under the lights experience of Tulane football will be a distant memory and have little relevance.

Perhaps Riley has told Bush he is just not ever going to be suitable for the job and that he would be wise to move on to better oppotunities elsewhere. ? Absent that, I just don't see the logic of Bush transfer.

Sam's take after a couple weeks of practice:

» Quarterback: Armstrong still rushes some throws and puts passes in spots that invite trouble. He’s making some effort to look for the running backs, but his predisposition is to scan downfield and look for the big play. And when he flees the pocket it’s still fun to watch. Intrigue often awaits. Third-and-medium remains an iffy situation. Fyfe, meanwhile, slings it around and does better work in the pocket than he does out of it. He’s pretty sharp within 15 yards; he doesn’t have Armstrong’s big arm, and he doesn’t create nearly as much with his legs. Since AJ Bush transferred, Patrick O’Brien is the No. 3 quarterback. He’s not ready to go win games this season, but O’Brien has clean footwork, a good delivery and a pretty good sense of how to complete short passes. He does not have a strong arm and he’ll need to throw certain passes with more pace. Tanner Lee has the strongest, most accurate arm among the quarterbacks. On the routes that Riley and Langsdorf like — those intermediate, deep out and dig routes — Lee is the best.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/mckewon-husker-defense-shows-progress-offense-looks-about-same/article_2989c575-3b95-56d7-8cb5-597bc1424cff.html

• Fire 1

For all you supporters of the disappointed underclassman transfer practice, this transfer highlights the problems therewith. Bush transfers to some other school and presumably will start out at the bottom and have to earn his way up the team's depth chart. He leaves Nebraska as the clear number 3 guy with only two seniors ahead of him. Rarely has Nebraska football had but one starting QB make it through the year without a bump or bruise or something. It is not terribly unlikely to have the top two QBs go down making Bush the starter. One major injury to Tommy this fall and it is quite probable that by mid season Bush would assume the starting role as Fyfe has demonstrated he is at best 'back up' material destined to be the emergency fill in until somebody else can be installed. As a senior, he cannot reasonably basis be called 'the future' of the program at QB.

Now the redshirt season for POB is pretty much out of the question, which suits me fine, but apparently bothered many on this board. If as many argue POB should not play this year, we are then facing yet again the ugly prospect of entering a season without a returning QB with ANY game experience in Lincoln at all. NONE. This being the third year of the Riley experiment, that ought to give even the most confident supporter cause for alarm. Tanner Lee comes with some collegiate experience but not in our offense or at the Big Ten level of major college ball but he will have had to sit out for entire year and the live action under the lights experience of Tulane football will be a distant memory and have little relevance.

Perhaps Riley has told Bush he is just not ever going to be suitable for the job and that he would be wise to move on to better oppotunities elsewhere. ? Absent that, I just don't see the logic of Bush transfer.

More than likely, Bush will transfer to a program where he has a better chance to play and be a starter, as do many quarterbacks who leave one program to go to another. Suggesting he will presumably be at the bottom of a depth chart is somewhat inaccurate. There wouldn't be much point for him to leave Nebraska if it meant he was going to ride the pine elsewhere. You're projecting your passion for the program onto a young kid who will likely only ever be Nebraska's starter if people in front of him get injured.

Second, the POB redshirt is not out of the question, though it could be if we have a season like 2013. Is that kind of season likely? No. Possible? Yes.

Lastly, though you're obviously entitled to your opinion, I think Lee's Tulane experience will have more relevance than you give credit. Lee, in my opinion, will be Nebraska's 2017 starter.