Fall Camp Position Battles - Quarterback

Someone mentioned T-Mart.. same situation. he was supposed to have improved his throwing mechanics, but it didn't matter, even if he did. Same with TA, if you are not a good throwing QB by this time in your career, you never will be.

Thing is Tommy throws the ball fine. His issue is decision making. Hopefully he can make an improvement in that department with knowing through system better this year

• Fire 1

So if we're 5-6 going into the Iowa game, we shouldn't play the young guys yet because there's a chance at going .500 and even above in a bowl game.

Yeah. 84HuskerLaw suggests we've been "seeing this for years" but I can't remember a single Iowa season finale where I wanted the team to admit defeat and play the young, unproven guys.

Also, it's called Senior Day for a reason.

Yes, its called senior day as the seniors are recognized before the game as a point of honoring their time in the program. There is certainly no rule that says they play no matter how poorly.

I didn't say at Nebraska necessarily although it started a decade or so ago. The 'mediocrity' we've been enduring since Frank's final years is a direct result of not playing younger players in a desperate attempt to win those magical 9 games so the HC ritually keeps his job. It only took about 6 seasons to go from the best program in the country to one many on this board argue became 'untouchable' by the best coaches who wouldn't want to go to Nebraska because of the alleged pressure to win - not mentioning the extraordinary work effort required to recruit the best from all over. In fairness to Frank and Company, after 9/11 attacks, recruiting became very difficult as travel by air went from being inexpensive and very convenient from Lincoln to a 'pain in the a ss' no doubt. Air travel still stinks in my view and without direct flights, it is not something many would want to have to do at the volume of Nebraska coaches. Now, with the private plane assist, I am sure it is much handier for our coaches to get all over in search of players.

Someone mentioned T-Mart.. same situation. he was supposed to have improved his throwing mechanics, but it didn't matter, even if he did. Same with TA, if you are not a good throwing QB by this time in your career, you never will be.

Thing is Tommy throws the ball fine. His issue is decision making. Hopefully he can make an improvement in that department with knowing through system better this year

Point is still the same, if you are not a good thrower, for one reason or another, then you won't ever be this late in your career. His problem last year was both throwing and decision making.

He didn't improve as the season went on.. as he was improved his knowledge of the system.

We shall see, though. I am hoping the coaches don't make him throw 40 times a game, and allow him to do what he is best at.. running.

I hardly think my point of playing younger guys is all that much in question. Back in day, there were several games a year when nearly all the players suited up got into the games for a few plays and the 2s and 3s say at least a solid quarter of action. By the soph and certainly junior seasons, the guys had logged a pretty substantial number of plays etc. In recent seasons, we hardly know who the second and third string Off linemen are as they never play. We rarely see much from the thirds and fourths in the secondary, unless a rash of injuries or off field things come up. We often debate who should be 3rd or 4th in the RB spot but rarely is the Number 2 FB even identified. We have a bunch of WRs who play. But seemingly that is the only position where we have retained and built up depth - not a coincidence in my view btw - that they freely substitute and play guys.

Benning discussed the Pick 6 play on his radio show this morning. He said there were 3 things that caused the INT return for the TD, which was a comeback route on the sideline.

1. The WR made a bad break out of his cut, and didn't come back to the ball very aggressively/downhill. Coach Williams immediately ripped into him.

2. Armstrong didn't make a great throw, as his throw was to the inside, rather than the sideline.

3. Chris Jones made a great cut on the ball and great play.

So, Armstrong appears to have not made an accurate throw on a sideline comeback route, but that is a long throw, and we know that Armstrong's struggles with accuracy at times. However, the pick 6 wasn't entirely Armstrong's fault, and there also should be credit given to Chris Jones. If the WR fights to the ball more, the pass is probably just broken up and the offense moves on.

#1 and 3 don't matter. If #2 doesn't happen the ball is not intercepted. Period. The DB play and wr have no bearing on if through qb puts the ball where it should it will not be intercepted. It will just be incomplete which is what we can live with.

#1 matters just as much as #2 does. If the WR gives the QB no help on the ball, then it can lead to an INT. I understand accuracy matters for the QB, but the WR needs to make a better break attack the ball in the air.

Not all INT's are the 100% fault of the QB.

A comeback is an outside breaking route. If the qb throws the ball on time and to the outside the ball will not get picked. The ball was picked bc you can't miss inside. If you miss inside then the WR slipping matters.

If the WR makes a bad break and isn't to his spot on time, it doesn't matter where the QB throws it.

If it's a bad throw outside, it's an incomplete pass.

If it's a bad throw inside, it's a pick 6.

On an outside breaking route, it absolutely matters where the QB throws it.

• Fire 1

Benning discussed the Pick 6 play on his radio show this morning. He said there were 3 things that caused the INT return for the TD, which was a comeback route on the sideline.

1. The WR made a bad break out of his cut, and didn't come back to the ball very aggressively/downhill. Coach Williams immediately ripped into him.

2. Armstrong didn't make a great throw, as his throw was to the inside, rather than the sideline.

So, Armstrong appears to have not made an accurate throw on a sideline comeback route, but that is a long throw, and we know that Armstrong's struggles with accuracy at times. However, the pick 6 wasn't entirely Armstrong's fault, and there also should be credit given to Chris Jones. If the WR fights to the ball more, the pass is probably just broken up and the offense moves on.

#1 and 3 don't matter. If #2 doesn't happen the ball is not intercepted. Period. The DB play and wr have no bearing on if through qb puts the ball where it should it will not be intercepted. It will just be incomplete which is what we can live with.

#1 matters just as much as #2 does. If the WR gives the QB no help on the ball, then it can lead to an INT. I understand accuracy matters for the QB, but the WR needs to make a better break attack the ball in the air.

A comeback is an outside breaking route. If the qb throws the ball on time and to the outside the ball will not get picked. The ball was picked bc you can't miss inside. If you miss inside then the WR slipping matters.

If the WR makes a bad break and isn't to his spot on time, it doesn't matter where the QB throws it.

Exactly. The WR could fall in his route but if ball is delivered on time and outside it will fall incomplete regardless of coverage and wr

• Fire 1

I hardly think my point of playing younger guys is all that much in question. Back in day, there were several games a year when nearly all the players suited up got into the games for a few plays and the 2s and 3s say at least a solid quarter of action. By the soph and certainly junior seasons, the guys had logged a pretty substantial number of plays etc. In recent seasons, we hardly know who the second and third string Off linemen are as they never play. We rarely see much from the thirds and fourths in the secondary, unless a rash of injuries or off field things come up. We often debate who should be 3rd or 4th in the RB spot but rarely is the Number 2 FB even identified. We have a bunch of WRs who play. But seemingly that is the only position where we have retained and built up depth - not a coincidence in my view btw - that they freely substitute and play guys.

I think you are remembering instances of Osborne playing 100+ players in a single game. Those were games that had gotten so far out of hand that everyone who was suited up got to go have some fun.

If the receiver's "bad break" leaves him towards the inside, the QB has a split second to try to complete the pass.

The point is, the INT (in practice) isn't completely Tommy's fault.

Even though TA threw the pick 6 today I guess you can't really start jumping the gun unless he still somehow continues turning the ball over in practice and in scrimmages. Obviously it sucks reading about a pick 6 to start things off with. Honestly if I were an offensive coordinator with TA as my QB and a slew of really good wide receivers at my disposal I would probably have many a sleep less night. Wondering just how much TA could handle as far as designing a passing game with him as your QB.

He's got a rifle and that's what I love the most about TA. He's a good runner but I love that rifle he has and those frozen ropes that he throws. If he were only more accurate and made better decisions.

At least he's exciting to watch a lot of times. Sometimes though you just have to put your hands on your head and ask 'what was he thinking?!!!'