Fall Camp Position Battles - Quarterback

I think it really depends on how the early games go for me. If we start out with a couple wins and then follow with about 3 losses, then its time to look to 2017 and we give youth a chance to learn. At that point, the season is basically long term practice for the next year in essence. The conference and any other championships are out of the question. The schedule gets tougher so if we are out of the race for anything meaningful, then its time to get back to the future. POB and Bush need to play a bunch so we don't find ourselves with three consecutive losing seasons! That could easily happen if we find ourselves as we did last year on the bottom side of .500 looking up in October. Watching Tommy's swan song is not acceptable if we are losing. I honestly don't expect this BUT it is certainly possible with a rash of key injuries in the line or something. Turnovers and penalties are the great equalizers.

Riley will play the best guy, every game, as his neck is on the line.

LOL his neck is on the line. Maybe your line.

Even if this year flubs again, he's got another 2 before his neck is on the line.

Whether Riley is going to be fired or not, the AD should tell him to play the young guys. Period. end of discussion. Seniors can and should play if the team is competing for championships / upper half of the bowls, etc. but once the losing season becomes apparent, then you double down on the 'backups to the future' program.

So, at what point should your genius plan kick in? After the first loss because we probably won't be in the NC hunt? After the second....third???

When?

I believe I said when the losing season becomes apparent. I think you can figure that out without a calculator can't you!

Benning discussed the Pick 6 play on his radio show this morning. He said there were 3 things that caused the INT return for the TD, which was a comeback route on the sideline.

1. The WR made a bad break out of his cut, and didn't come back to the ball very aggressively/downhill. Coach Williams immediately ripped into him.

2. Armstrong didn't make a great throw, as his throw was to the inside, rather than the sideline.

3. Chris Jones made a great cut on the ball and great play.

So, Armstrong appears to have not made an accurate throw on a sideline comeback route, but that is a long throw, and we know that Armstrong's struggles with accuracy at times. However, the pick 6 wasn't entirely Armstrong's fault, and there also should be credit given to Chris Jones. If the WR fights to the ball more, the pass is probably just broken up and the offense moves on.

#1 and 3 don't matter. If #2 doesn't happen the ball is not intercepted. Period. The DB play and wr have no bearing on if through qb puts the ball where it should it will not be intercepted. It will just be incomplete which is what we can live with.

• Fire 1

Benning discussed the Pick 6 play on his radio show this morning. He said there were 3 things that caused the INT return for the TD, which was a comeback route on the sideline.

1. The WR made a bad break out of his cut, and didn't come back to the ball very aggressively/downhill. Coach Williams immediately ripped into him.

2. Armstrong didn't make a great throw, as his throw was to the inside, rather than the sideline.

So, Armstrong appears to have not made an accurate throw on a sideline comeback route, but that is a long throw, and we know that Armstrong's struggles with accuracy at times. However, the pick 6 wasn't entirely Armstrong's fault, and there also should be credit given to Chris Jones. If the WR fights to the ball more, the pass is probably just broken up and the offense moves on.

#1 and 3 don't matter. If #2 doesn't happen the ball is not intercepted. Period. The DB play and wr have no bearing on if through qb puts the ball where it should it will not be intercepted. It will just be incomplete which is what we can live with.

#1 matters just as much as #2 does. If the WR gives the QB no help on the ball, then it can lead to an INT. I understand accuracy matters for the QB, but the WR needs to make a better break attack the ball in the air.

Not all INT's are the 100% fault of the QB.

• Fire 1

If we want to actually talk about the QBs....

Tommy is "vastly improved" this year, "mechanics are much more solid".

Tommy threw a pick six on the second play of 7v7 today.

Cue the meltdown. :)

I think the plan is...

IF TA's passing-decision making starts leading to turnovers... and that's IF...

Then the coaches can tweak the offence to more run plays and designed quarterback run plays... hoping that leads to fewer turnovers.

I think the coaching staff will attempt that first... and they will give that a really hard and sustained attempt... before sending in any backups.

We could even end up being a run first team again ?

In fact I just don't see any backups getting any playing time this year unless we are way ahead in games or unless injuries force the issue.

Just stop....that isn't happening with this coaching staff.

And weren't you the one that kept talking about reality in another thread? I think you were...this is another reality for you, this coaching staff is never going to have a run first mentality.

Langsdorf was quoted yesterday saying one major goal of the offence this year was... fewer turnovers.

That's what my comment was about. I don't think we're going to see TA throwing the ball as much this year... IF his throwing-decision making is leading to turnovers.

Kind of he exact opposite of last year. Last year we would go away from the running plays if they thought they weren't working... this year we may go away from the passing plays if they're not working...leading to turnovers. The turnover thing is bigger in their minds this year.

And I don't think we will see backups in the game any more than last year.

I just put that other comment in to see if I could get anyone riled up. LOL

So if we're 5-6 going into the Iowa game, we shouldn't play the young guys yet because there's a chance at going .500 and even above in a bowl game.

Exactly! Heck, this is probably a game or so too late by then really. Good grief, a bunch of folks on here wanted to take radical action and spend many millions of dollars firing and hiring new coaches in this scenario. I am simply saying we need to be planning and building a program and team. This is not a social encounter group experience. We are a football program and trying to win and rebuild the program into a national power with respect and admiration across the country. To do so, you don't just blame the coaches for the failings of the seniors. You give the entire team a fair chance to contribute and do their part to help the program. I just feel the focus is not on giving the seniors a swan song but rather to have the entire team be successful.

I have seen a few coaches who even take the step of literally starting all the seniors, whether or not they are worthy of starting roles, in the last game of the year. This is maybe fine so long as you are talking about a play or two and there is no exceedingly high risk of a disasterous outcome (giving up a TD on the first snap because this senior from the bench has no clue or is not close to being ready to actually play).

I don't agree with going this far but I have known some who argue that if you are not a starter by your senior year, you should be encouraged to quit the team. The idea is that you better be getting better and contributing to the team and program in some ways, whether on or off the field. Many a walk on has been a valuable contributor to the program, even if he or they failed to earn a letter or become a major starting player. But, to play a senior because he is a senior and has put in the time and effort is unfair to the other members of the team who may be worthy of playing time but are being denied because a senior gets the time. Not right.

So if we're 5-6 going into the Iowa game, we shouldn't play the young guys yet because there's a chance at going .500 and even above in a bowl game.

Yeah. 84HuskerLaw suggests we've been "seeing this for years" but I can't remember a single Iowa season finale where I wanted the team to admit defeat and play the young, unproven guys.

Also, it's called Senior Day for a reason.

#1 matters just as much as #2 does. If the WR gives the QB no help on the ball, then it can lead to an INT. I understand accuracy matters for the QB, but the WR needs to make a better break attack the ball in the air.

A comeback is an outside breaking route. If the qb throws the ball on time and to the outside the ball will not get picked. The ball was picked bc you can't miss inside. If you miss inside then the WR slipping matters.

• Fire 1

Yesterday's practice was the first practice in full pads. Benning and Sharp said that crazy things can happen in the first full pad practice, and most of the team didn't look crisp.

If TA is having poor results in the final week of fall camp, or in a major scrimmage, then I would be more concerned. There is still time to work out the kinks, which it sounds like the whole team needs to.

Yesterday's practice was the first practice in full pads. Benning and Sharp said that crazy things can happen in the first full pad practice, and most of the team didn't look crisp.

If TA is having poor results in the final week of fall camp, or in a major scrimmage, then I would be more concerned. There is still time to work out the kinks, which it sounds like the whole team needs to.

Pretty much what people were saying at this time last year as well.

TA is what he is. In so many respects he's a lot like T Mart was. Gifted in some ways but seriously lacking in others.

I don't see Armstrong's numbers changing drastically this season. Maybe rushing yards but that comes with a catch too. More prone to injury but if he goes down sheeeet. Curtains...

TA is what he is. In so many respects he's a lot like T Mart was. Gifted in some ways but seriously lacking in others.

I don't see Armstrong's numbers changing drastically this season. Maybe rushing yards but that comes with a catch too. More prone to injury but if he goes down sheeeet. Curtains...

And then we get Fyfe...

Of course, like Armstrong if he just made better decisions...

A comeback is an outside breaking route. If the qb throws the ball on time and to the outside the ball will not get picked. The ball was picked bc you can't miss inside. If you miss inside then the WR slipping matters.

If the WR makes a bad break and isn't to his spot on time, it doesn't matter where the QB throws it.