Mike Leach on QB Accuracy

Mavric

I don't think Tommy's issue has as much to do with accuracy as it does decision making and timing. That can be fixed. He can throw the ball well and is amazing on the run, but where he struggles is when he just doesn't see the defense and what they are doing. The picks against mich st and iowa to LBs who are just waiting on the ball means he just doesn't see the coverage. The deep pick against Iowa where he didn't see the backside safety just waiting on him to throw the ball. If he improves his decision making he will be a great college qb. That comes with a deeper understanding of our play book and analyzing what the defense is doing. I think he can improve in that regard.

I would agree with this more than saying he lacks accuracy. It seems he often doesn't read the D and gets baited into making throws. Or doesn't see the LB sitting on the route. Or he lacks "touch", which I would say is different than accuracy.

• Fire 1

Tommy in one sense is pretty accurate as his completion % is pretty high, considering the relatively high numbers of passes he attempts that are intermediate and long distance throws. For most QBs, it is generally true that the shorter the throw, the higher the completion percentage. For many throwers, short throws are just easier to make and as a result, completion rates are usually higher. Tommy has such a gun for an arm (kind of a bozooka really) that he has more difficulty throwing with less velocity and 'touch' as it is often said. Somewhat like a Sherman tank trying to shoot ducks in the carnival gallery. Tommy throws the deep outs pretty well and the long bombs decently, though he could put more loft on them and let his receiver run under them a lot more.

The long ball is really more about throwing it higher and giving the receiver a chance to look up, find it and adjust and run under it accordingly. The intermediate (20 yard plus passes) are, in my view, the most difficult throws for the typical/average QB. Tommy could be a great passer IF he would get his proper throwing mechanics (mostly in footwork and shoulder alignment, etc.) corrected. I really think he could also learn to make the soft 'touch' throws to his RBs and so on with lots more practice. But, we shall see.

how does his accuracy change by how many throws he has - usually the more you do something the better / more consistent you get. However, if he is a poor thrower then you would hate to see him throw 40 times a game.

His accuracy doesn't change, but if the emphasis is on running the ball you don't need as much accuracy. Tommie Frazier's career completion percentage was 49.5. Scott Frost 53.5, Crouch 51.5, Gill 54.0.

how does his accuracy change by how many throws he has - usually the more you do something the better / more consistent you get. However, if he is a poor thrower then you would hate to see him throw 40 times a game.

His accuracy doesn't change, but if the emphasis is on running the ball you don't need as much accuracy. Tommie Frazier's career completion percentage was 49.5. Scott Frost 53.5, Crouch 51.5, Gill 54.0.

Great stats MD3...

That their completion percentages were that low is a true testament to what great-legendary running teams Osborne fielded.

Because our current quarterback has percentages very similar to that...and considering what happened last year... hopefully our current coaches have taken notice of that and will adjust the offence accordingly. It's going to be an interesting year.

If you complete 50% of 20 passes, you only threw 10 incompletions. If you complete 50% of 40 passes, you threw 20 incompletions.

nothing ive said has anything to do with stats or overall performance. it's strictly a mechanics standpoint. I dont care about stats. I see what I see. Watch film. From and uneducated standpoint (i say this cuz obviously im not guru). Early in both careers they both appeared to have a better throwing motion than what they have developed. Is this that hard to understand what I'm saying?

No, I just disagree. When Taylor was healthy his junior year and beginning of senior year, he looked at minimum just as good, if not quite a lot better throwing the ball than he did his freshman year, imo. Tommy's always been the same in my eyeball test.

Ill say that to start 2012 after the summer with Calhoun he was money and looked as good as ever. This probably contradicts what i'm sayin. but as 2012 progressed and the farther he got from Calhouns tutledge, and the more time he spent with our own coaches, his form began to revert. We'll never know what coulda been 2013. he wasnt right from day one.

Sports-reference.com has data for QB's that includes "adjusted yards/attemp". It's a pretty decent metric imo considering how simple it is and it hammers INTs which I believe is necessary. Football outsiders, Nate Silver's team at ESPN, others, are doing more complicated stuff and it may well be better I don't know. Anyway, I think the adjusted yards sheds light...however the performance of the rest of the team (drops etc poor Zac Taylor) and the sacks, fumbles, and rushing yards of the QB are all ignored. Obviously Eric Crouch would be underrated as a QB using this metric (Martinez maybe not considering he set fumble records while racking up rushing yards).

Adjusted Passing Yards Per Attempt; the formula is (Yds + 20 * TD - 45 * Int) / Att

Stastically, Gdowski is WAY AHEAD of all other NU quarterbacks (unless you want to count things like national titles and wins and stuff like that ;) )

Tommy A is somewhere near the bottom relative to recent QB's (left out Lord, Daily, few others cuz I didn't care).

7.6 Armstrong, thru 3 years (53td/36int..not good) (rushing 4.2 ypa incl sacks, 15 rush TDs)

11.7 Gdowski (20TD, 2 Int) (8.0 yards per rush incl sacks, 17 TDs rushing)

8.9 Ganz (44/18) (some Cally garbage time padding assist? Nice numbers.)

7.6 Frost (18td/7int) (5.1 rush ave incl sacks, 28 rush TDs)

7.5 Frazier (43/11) (5.7 rush ave 36 rush TDs)

7.4 Martinez (56/29) (5.1 ypa rushing, 31 rush TDs)

7.1 Zac Taylor (45/20) (maybe some garbage time padding)

6.5 Crouch (29/25..not good) (5.3 yards per rush, 59 rushing TD's)

• Fire 1

Sports-reference.com has data for QB's that includes "adjusted yards/attemp". It's a pretty decent metric imo considering how simple it is and it hammers INTs which I believe is necessary. Football outsiders, Nate Silver's team at ESPN, others, are doing more complicated stuff and it may well be better I don't know. Anyway, I think the adjusted yards sheds light...however the performance of the rest of the team (drops etc poor Zac Taylor) and the sacks, fumbles, and rushing yards of the QB are all ignored. Obviously Eric Crouch would be underrated as a QB using this metric (Martinez maybe not considering he set fumble records while racking up rushing yards).

Adjusted Passing Yards Per Attempt; the formula is (Yds + 20 * TD - 45 * Int) / Att

Stastically, Gdowski is WAY AHEAD of all other NU quarterbacks (unless you want to count things like national titles and wins and stuff like that ;) )

Tommy A is somewhere near the bottom relative to recent QB's (left out Lord, Daily, few others cuz I didn't care).

7.6 Armstrong, thru 3 years (53td/36int..not good) (rushing 4.2 ypa incl sacks, 15 rush TDs)

11.7 Gdowski (20TD, 2 Int) (8.0 yards per rush incl sacks, 17 TDs rushing)

8.9 Ganz (44/18) (some Cally garbage time padding assist? Nice numbers.)

7.6 Frost (18td/7int) (5.1 rush ave incl sacks, 28 rush TDs)

7.5 Frazier (43/11) (5.7 rush ave 36 rush TDs)

7.4 Martinez (56/29) (5.1 ypa rushing, 31 rush TDs)

7.1 Zac Taylor (45/20) (maybe some garbage time padding)

6.5 Crouch (29/25..not good) (5.3 yards per rush, 59 rushing TD's)

TA is right there with some of the greatest QBs in NU history. The coaches just need to call plays to his strengths. Gdowski's score doesn't surprise me. I always thought he was one of the greatest of all time, but he only started one year, and not many games were on TV then.