Keith Williams Suspended Two Weeks, Will Miss Four Games

BIG ERN

Well I think the death penalty should apply for first time offenders, that way there is no chance to offend again. See how easily the problem could be fixed.

If that was the penalty and it was actually carried out a few times drunk driving would likely virtually cease over night.

No it wouldn't.

When stiff enough penalties are applied to activities most people will cease and desist. There are always a few though that will partake in said activity no matter what the penalty.

History and studies have proven that punishment is a terrible, ineffective deterrent.

Think of the war on drugs. How'd that go?

Look at Saudi Arabia. They have ridiculous penalties for many things and their crime rates are very low. Normal people don't want to suffer those kinds of consequences.

The penalties for using/selling/possession of drugs in this country aren't stiff enough to deter many people from using. Look at the penalties for drug use in SA and look at their drug use rate.

Yeah, because sharia is a great blue print to follow...

• 4 weeks later...

Husker receivers coach Keith Williams won't have to return to court until December on his DUI case.

In a motion filed Friday, attorney John Ball asked for additional time to research and evaluate Williams' alleged prior convictions and to pursue possible plea agreements.

Williams had been set for court Monday, but Lancaster County Judge Timothy Phillips continued the hearing to Dec. 19.

LJS

Well I think the death penalty should apply for first time offenders, that way there is no chance to offend again. See how easily the problem could be fixed.

If that was the penalty and it was actually carried out a few times drunk driving would likely virtually cease over night.

No it wouldn't.

When stiff enough penalties are applied to activities most people will cease and desist. There are always a few though that will partake in said activity no matter what the penalty.

History and studies have proven that punishment is a terrible, ineffective deterrent.

Think of the war on drugs. How'd that go?

Look at Saudi Arabia. They have ridiculous penalties for many things and their crime rates are very low. Normal people don't want to suffer those kinds of consequences.

The penalties for using/selling/possession of drugs in this country aren't stiff enough to deter many people from using. Look at the penalties for drug use in SA and look at their drug use rate.

Yeah, because sharia is a great blue print to follow...

I was only disputing the post I quoted. Nothing more.

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

<puts on super-duper cynical guy hat>

This couldn't have happened on a better day with the Ole Miss news coming out. The sentencing will barely get air time outside of Nebraska.

I know exactly what you're saying. But the deft move(s) was(were) months ago getting it continued until after NSD.

• Fire 1