Keith Williams Suspended Two Weeks, Will Miss Four Games

BIG ERN

Well I think the death penalty should apply for first time offenders, that way there is no chance to offend again. See how easily the problem could be fixed.

If that was the penalty and it was actually carried out a few times drunk driving would likely virtually cease over night.

No it wouldn't.

I have been apart of a Fire & Rescue squad for 11 years and have dealt with many car wrecks. I have seen wrecks where the drivers have fell asleep, a few of them were truck drivers. I have been on a couple wrecks that have involved tires blowing out and the drivers losing control. I have been an many where the driver just didn't pay attention and pulled out in front of someone, 2 of these resulted in fatalities. I have even been on a couple wrecks that were caused because the driver was texting, one of them resulted in a fatality and another put the father of a close friend in the hospital for 8 weeks. Out of all the wrecks I have been on, I have yet to come across one involving a drunk driver. Maybe we have been lucky but it seems like people do a lot more of other stupid sh#t while driving then drinking and driving.

Driving fatigued is often a person trying to keep their job bc if they refuse, they get fired. Should these people be punished and thrown in prison?

Let's rephrase the question: "Should people put the lives of other people ahead of their own paycheck?"

That's a dumb question because there's no real way to answer; none of us are forced with a direct situation where we have to choose one or the other.

I pass by homeless people on my way to work. For all I know they haven't eaten in nearly a week and they might die from starvation that morning if I don't stop to get them some food. Am I putting my paycheck ahead of that person's life?

Well I think the death penalty should apply for first time offenders, that way there is no chance to offend again. See how easily the problem could be fixed.

If that was the penalty and it was actually carried out a few times drunk driving would likely virtually cease over night.

No it wouldn't.

When stiff enough penalties are applied to activities most people will cease and desist. There are always a few though that will partake in said activity no matter what the penalty.

No it wouldn't.

When stiff enough penalties are applied to activities most people will cease and desist. There are always a few though that will partake in said activity no matter what the penalty.

History and studies have proven that punishment is a terrible, ineffective deterrent.

Think of the war on drugs. How'd that go?

No it wouldn't.

History and studies have proven that punishment is a terrible, ineffective deterrent.

Look at Saudi Arabia. They have ridiculous penalties for many things and their crime rates are very low. Normal people don't want to suffer those kinds of consequences.

The penalties for using/selling/possession of drugs in this country aren't stiff enough to deter many people from using. Look at the penalties for drug use in SA and look at their drug use rate.

No it wouldn't.

Look at Saudi Arabia. They have ridiculous penalties for many things and their crime rates are very low. Normal people don't want to suffer those kinds of consequences.

The penalties for using/selling/possession of drugs in this country aren't stiff enough to deter many people from using. Look at the penalties for drug use in SA and look at their drug use rate.

I hope you're not suggesting what I think you're suggesting?

I have a feeling in the next decade or two we won't have to worry about much of this as most of the vehicles on the road then will be driverless. Drinking and driving is bad. However, there are a lot of bad things people do that result in wrecks as well. I saw a totaled out tractor/trailer rig caused by the driver dropping his water bottle and reaching down to get it. We human beings do a lot of stupid things that result in lost lives and wrecks. In the not so distant future, we will be removed from the equation and hopefully most if not all of this will be a thing of the past.

FSU's Strength Coach is facing DUI charges, will be interesting to see what Jimbo does there. Albeit this is his 1st offense from what I can tell, so not quite apples to apples.

According to the Tallahassee Democrat, Viloria’s suspension, which is without pay, spans 30 days. The suspension, issued via a statement from school president John Thrasher, starts Friday, Sept. 2 and concludes Oct. 2, meaning Viloria will miss five games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/florida-state-suspends-strength-coach-vic-viloria-following-dui-arrest-163925289.html

• Fire 1
As for the situation as a whole, "My initial deal is it's a mistake we can't have in our program. I don't want a program that is high maintenance. We want to represent everybody in this state at the highest level. So the situation, we don't like. We like the guy. And we know he knows, and we all know, it was a terrible mistake and that's understood forever.

Link

I mean ... obviously it's a mistake they CAN have in the program. Otherwise he would have been fired.

I'm one that would prefer prison time is used to rehabilitate, rather than punish. That said, there are just some crimes that come down to decision making, rather than something you can rehabilitate.

If someone is distracted enough while driving that they get pulled over for their driving, I think they should absolutely face prison time. You're essentially driving a two ton killing machine. Just like weapons, people should use them responsibly. If you're negligent enough that an officer thinks your driving warrants a pull-over, then you definitely could have killed someone in that time.

This is honestly one of my most vehement opinions on crime and punishment; along with the death penalty reserved for convicted pedophiles. But that's a whole different matter.

As for the situation as a whole, "My initial deal is it's a mistake we can't have in our program. I don't want a program that is high maintenance. We want to represent everybody in this state at the highest level. So the situation, we don't like. We like the guy. And we know he knows, and we all know, it was a terrible mistake and that's understood forever.

Link

I mean ... obviously it's a mistake they CAN have in the program. Otherwise he would have been fired.

But he prefaced that with "My initial deal is..."

I think he's saying is that his initial reaction was he wanted to fire him, but made himself think about it for a while before actually reaching a decision