Guardian: Texas maternal mortality rate highest in developed world

Texas has highest maternal mortality rate in developed world, study finds

But the report singled out Texas for special concern, saying the doubling of mortality rates in a two-year period was hard to explain “in the absence of war, natural disaster, or severe economic upheaval”.

From 2000 to the end of 2010, Texas’s estimated maternal mortality rate hovered between 17.7 and 18.6 per 100,000 births. But after 2010, that rate had leaped to 33 deaths per 100,000, and in 2014 it was 35.8. Between 2010 and 2014, more than 600 women died for reasons related to their pregnancies.

No other state saw a comparable increase.

:(

Sounds to me like there is a big opening in Texas for some clinics that provide family planning, prenatal services and well childcare. Apparently this hole will have to be filled by an outfit that is not also the leading provider of abortions in the world. This eliminates Planeed Parenthood. I'm guessing that was the intention of the people in Texas, to quit public funding of abortions. But some will act like they are against prenatal services and healthcare in general. Surely somebody can fill the void left by the lack of funding for Baby Killers Inc.

Sounds to me like there is a big opening in Texas for some clinics that provide family planning, prenatal services and well childcare. Apparently this hole will have to be filled by an outfit that is not also the leading provider of abortions in the world. This eliminates Planeed Parenthood. I'm guessing that was the intention of the people in Texas, to quit public funding of abortions. But some will act like they are against prenatal services and healthcare in general. Surely somebody can fill the void left by the lack of funding for Baby Killers Inc.

Abortions are a very small percentage of what PP provides. Most of the clinics closed didnt even provide any abortion services. But don't let that stop you from sterotyping and overreacting. Let's just cut off the face to spite the nose, shall we?

• Fire 1

I was going to suggest that illegal aliens had something to do with this. But I'm not so sure. Texas (pop. 26 million) has about 1.5 million illegal aliens. But California (pop. 38 million) has 3 million illegal aliens. Does California provide better medical care for illegal aliens? :dunno:

In fact, let's sell California back to Mexico for about 100 billion.

Good idea.

I posted something similar the first time someone (84HuskerLaw?) suggested this, but of course there was no response. California provides a lot of money and ranks as the 5th least dependent state on federal aid.

According to businessinsider, "California is officially the 6th largest economy in the world."

Maybe if 84HuskerLaw multiplies his offer by 100 it will only take Mexico 10 years to be the winner in that trade.

Not that I cared about his/her opinion before but statements like these kinda show where he/she is coming from and the flaw/danger in being uber-Partisan.

• Fire 1