Sports Illustrated: Why Mike Riley sees a bright future after the Huskers' 2015 nightmare

That was a top 20 level UCLA team with top 15 talent.

No it wasn't.

Agreed. not at the time we played them. MASH unit up front. Eye crossing defensive philososhy (or Bo-ish as I like to call it) for what we were doing. And lastly, an apparent like of interest from a team that was obviously playing down. See Nebraska/Washington 2010
No Myles Jack, no Vanderdoes(sp?), no NFL OL who left the team to sign with an agent. It still had a dorm room jacuzzi chillin' Josh Rosen and Paul Perkins, amongst other respectable players, but not their best team. We did play sound football and the coaches did game plan well...It's like finishing a bad round of golf with a birdie on 18, gives you hope for next time.

I truly dislike Banker as a coach at this point. He seems awful as a coach.

Wtf are you on about?

His quotes and general approach to motivation, as described in that article, compounded by what I've observed of him during press conferences.

He appears to be the weakest link on this staff.

Because you can glean his entire approach to motivation by a media quotes and sound bites...

• Fire 1

No it wasn't.

Agreed. not at the time we played them. MASH unit up front. Eye crossing defensive philososhy (or Bo-ish as I like to call it) for what we were doing. And lastly, an apparent like of interest from a team that was obviously playing down. See Nebraska/Washington 2010
No Myles Jack, no Vanderdoes(sp?), no NFL OL who left the team to sign with an agent. It still had a dorm room jacuzzi chillin' Josh Rosen and Paul Perkins, amongst other respectable players, but not their best team. We did play sound football and the coaches did game plan well...It's like finishing a bad round of golf with a birdie on 18, gives you hope for next time.

im not taking away from how we played. And at one point, we were straight up dominating that game. We went from a 21-7 deficit to a 37-21 lead. but the point remains. UCLA wasnt a top 20 team at that point.

Wtf are you on about?
His quotes and general approach to motivation, as described in that article, compounded by what I've observed of him during press conferences.

Because you can glean his entire approach to motivation by a media quotes and sound bites...

That and the totality of his work product.

He has not been a successful coach during his career. And a lot of his quotes are just plain wacky.

Wtf are you on about?

He has not been a successful coach during his career. And a lot of his quotes are just plain wacky.

As opposed to 'you saw it" and "what do you think"

• Fire 2

I've heard directly from some secondary players that they like to play for Banker, and have learned a lot more this off-season than they did last year mainly with just Stewart helping the DBs. I think at times though, Banker and Langs can be bone heads on some of their play calls and schemes.

Ok, that's good to know. If the players like playing for him, then I'll defer to them over my impression based on his interviews.

When we first hired the staff Banker was one I wasn't fully sold on as well along with Hughes who was garbage.

Williams, Bray, and Parella are guys that I wouldn't want to lose.

Wtf are you on about?

I'm not talking about his explanations about play calling and perfromance to the media.

I'm talking about how he explains what he says and how he motivates players.

Wtf are you on about?

I'm not talking about his explanations about play calling and perfromance to the media.

I'm talking about how he explains what he says and how he motivates players.

So youre talking about what he says, just not what he says. Cuz what he says would be inconvenient for your argument, which is why youre just talking about that things he says.

Got it.

• Fire 1

There are two categories of what he says:

Category 1: Explanations for play on the field (e.g., this play didn't work because of XYZ)

Category 2: Explanations of what he says or doesn't say to players (e.g., telling them how they couldn't even get his basics down last year, how he reacted when he was told he was losing some top DLmen, his general comments about how he motivates guys, his general odd comments ). Basically all these comments where he comes off sounding like a demotivating kook.

I'm talking about what he says, but mainly what he says in Category 2.

Riley seems comfortable with that kind of statline going forward. "We are probably in some fashion primarily a running team that's going to take advantage of our quarterback's ability on first and second down to fake running the ball and get out of the pocket and throw," Riley said. "He's one of the best throwers on the run that I've ever been around."

I mostly believe Riley when he says this - noting that he gave himself a lot of latitude with "in some fashion."

I'm less convinced that Langsdorf feels the same way.

No it wasn't.

im not taking away from how we played. And at one point, we were straight up dominating that game. We went from a 21-7 deficit to a 37-21 lead. but the point remains. UCLA wasnt a top 20 team at that point.

I concur. Wonder how that game would have gone had they call the facemask and TA doesn't fumble inside the 20 too.