Sports Illustrated: Why Mike Riley sees a bright future after the Huskers' 2015 nightmare

I truly dislike Banker as a coach at this point. He seems awful as a coach.

Wtf are you on about?
His quotes and general approach to motivation, as described in that article, compounded by what I've observed of him during press conferences.

He appears to be the weakest link on this staff.

Because you can glean his entire approach to motivation by a media quotes and sound bites...
That and the totality of his work product.

He has not been a successful coach during his career. And a lot of his quotes are just plain wacky.

As opposed to 'you saw it" and "what do you think"

Did CM make a comparison to Bo somewhere?

Oh, that was just you.

Unable to prop Banker up otherwise?

• Fire 2

Typical Staples, though. Like most national sports media.

Spends his time dissing the KW distraction, but no time on the players and coaches emotions as they open camp without Sam.

(I believe KW should have had a harsher penalty - but that's for another thread)

Interesting read about the team coming together after the Purdue debacle, but that had to lead to a question about team unity after Foltz's death.

I find it amazing that never came up.

Are these categories sub-catergories of the category "Things Mark Banker says". Could go a long way in explaining what kind of jibberish verbal diahrea youre spewing now.

Quality summary. I don't even like Banker, but when I see a bull and smell sh#t it's usually not because I've crapped myself.

Wtf are you on about?
His quotes and general approach to motivation, as described in that article, compounded by what I've observed of him during press conferences.

Because you can glean his entire approach to motivation by a media quotes and sound bites...

He has not been a successful coach during his career. And a lot of his quotes are just plain wacky.

Oh, that was just you.

in a conversation about the things Banker says? No. Duh.

Seriously. What the hell happened here to cause so many to struggle with the simplest of reading comprehension?

Wtf are you on about?

Oh, that was just you.

in a conversation about the things Banker says? No. Duh.

Seriously. What the hell happened here to cause so many to struggle with the simplest of reading comprehension?

Seriously. What the hell happened here to cause so many to struggle with refuting a criticism of a coach that they always fall back on a simplistic and childish "well, at least he ain't Bo" comparison?
  • Fire 2

There are two categories of what he says:

Category 1: Explanations for play on the field (e.g., this play didn't work because of XYZ)

Category 2: Explanations of what he says or doesn't say to players (e.g., telling them how they couldn't even get his basics down last year, how he reacted when he was told he was losing some top DLmen, his general comments about how he motivates guys, his general odd comments ). Basically all these comments where he comes off sounding like a demotivating kook.

I'm talking about what he says, but mainly what he says in Category 2.

I long for the return of "They didn't execute the plan". That is motivation.

Your ability to extrapolate someone ability to motivate a college athlete based upon what he tells a reporter is impressive.

I had looked up stats from 2008 on, in which MB had one defense in the top 25 in scoring, but did not recall this, which is from the OWH in Jan of 2015 after the new staff got here and had that big sitdown with the media.

And during the first half of Banker’s tenure in Corvallis, playing fast paid off. In four of Banker’s first six years as Oregon State’s defensive coordinator, the Beavers finished in the nation’s top 25 for fewest yards allowed per game. In 2007 — the same year the Huskers were historically awful on defense — the Beavers were particularly stingy, giving up just 308.6 yards per game and 2.1 yards per carry. That latter figure not only ranked No. 1 in the nation, but it’s also better than any BCS or Power Five conference team has achieved since.

I also remember hearing a quote from the spring of last year that sounded like his plan was to basically have the players discover how to play the base defense and remember thinking, "This can't end well..." so I still have to see it on the field, but I am willing to wait and see and not panic.

I'm on board with Banker. I could also easily see how it might not work out here for him. I mean, he's the guy that when asked, suggested Hughes for DL coach.

I kinda dig his personality. But if it isn't working, I'd expect Riley to assess and make the change. And if Riley can't, then I'm sure we'll find a head coach who can.

Why be so dour, though? I really like this group of coaches we have. The defensive staff in particular was a question mark, but Parella seems to be coming up aces. Bray's a rising star, and I think Stewart is at least doing a reasonable job, particularly if those player reports about responding well to him are true. This is the coaching team we have, and it's pretty hard not to root for them. I hope they kill it, and also that when the need comes to replace another assistant (Stewart seems most likely to depart for another gig soon), that Riley can draw another solid coach to the fold.

• Fire 1

We have a good group of coaches and I expect both sides of the ball to be much improved mainly because its year 2 and everyone should be on the same page this fall. It was very clear that was not the case last fall and we were still a hand full of plays from a 10 win season.

I'm on board with Banker. I could also easily see how it might not work out here for him. I mean, he's the guy that when asked, suggested Hughes for DL coach.

I kinda dig his personality. But if it isn't working, I'd expect Riley to assess and make the change. And if Riley can't, then I'm sure we'll find a head coach who can.

I'm pretty sure Riley would never get rid of him if it came to that.

Why be so dour, though? I really like this group of coaches we have. The defensive staff in particular was a question mark, but Parella seems to be coming up aces. Bray's a rising star, and I think Stewart is at least doing a reasonable job, particularly if those player reports about responding well to him are true. This is the coaching team we have, and it's pretty hard not to root for them. I hope they kill it, and also that when the need comes to replace another assistant (Stewart seems most likely to depart for another gig soon), that Riley can draw another solid coach to the fold.

Pretty much where I'm at.

Are these categories sub-catergories of the category "Things Mark Banker says". Could go a long way in explaining what kind of jibberish verbal diahrea youre spewing now.

Quality summary. I don't even like Banker, but when I see a bull and smell sh#t it's usually not because I've crapped myself.

Are you sure? :funnyhahah

Are you sure? :funnyhahah

No...

Okay, how is this for a vaild reason for not having any faith in Banker:

During Mike Riley's 1-15 season as the Chargers coach, Banker's defense took the the field 15 times with the Chargers holding the lead and three minutes or less on the clock...and lost 14 of those games.

Did anybody else but me see any of that same pattern last year?

Oh, and the Hank Hughes firing thing with our returning defensive line not returning leaves me wondering about the management.

• Fire 4