Sports Illustrated: Why Mike Riley sees a bright future after the Huskers' 2015 nightmare

apparently you dont actually watch the game. you check the score on sportcenter and read the headline in the Sunday world herald.

I did watch the games and I didn't see a good defense on Nebraska's part or any of the aforementioned "process of events that lead to an end". Did you?

By the way, what sort of "process of events" wouldn't "lead to an end" with the possible exception of a debate with you?

• Fire 2

Linebacker Michael Rose-Ivey noticed that the resistance from the older players melted after that loss. They, too, realized they had reached the bottom. But they hadn't reached the season's end. "We can salvage something," Rose-Ivey said of the attitude in the locker room

That quote pretty much ends the argument!

There were words in the locker room after the Purdue game. Some players were called out, but collectively they decided they didn't want to go down as the worst team in 60 years at Nebraska, and started playing better.

Basically, they decided to take coaching and they decided to stop losing. Worked pretty well, with the exception of Iowa, where they won everything but the turnover battle & the final score.

It also didn't hurt that, for UCLA, the coaches shelved some of their offense & allowed Tommy to create on the ground. Would have been nice to make that decision in September, not December.

• Fire 2

There were words in the locker room after the Purdue game. Some players were called out, but collectively they decided they didn't want to go down as the worst team in 60 years at Nebraska, and started playing better.

Basically, they decided to take coaching and they decided to stop losing. Worked pretty well, with the exception of Iowa, where they won everything but the turnover battle & the final score.

It also didn't hurt that, for UCLA, the coaches shelved some of their offense & allowed Tommy to create on the ground. Would have been nice to make that decision in September, not December.

The bowl practices probably had a lot to do with the bolded. I think lucking into the bowl game last year is going to pay big dividends this season, whether that is reflected in the win column remains to be seen.

To put the blame for these last second losses mostly on Banker and the defense is ridiculous. It's shows a total lack of understanding of the game and the process of events that lead to an end.

No it is not ridiculous.

What is ridiculous is trying to pretend that a crappy defense can be covered up with some inane phrase like "process of events that lead to an end", whatever the heck that is supposed to be or say or represent. I totally do lack the understanding of that. It sounds like a "Rickyism" to me.

I understand 457 yards given up to Purdue.

I understand what a 122nd ranking in pass defense means.

I understand 79th in sacks and 82nd in interceptions isn't good.

I understand 77 plays against the defense that went 20 yards or more.

I understand cm husker not having a good feeling about Banker, regardless of how he says it, because I feel it too.

apparently you dont actually watch the game. you check the score on sportcenter and read the headline in the Sunday world herald.

I don't think Count, not to put words in your mouth, is trying to defend Banker as the answer to our defense, but rather an insinuation that all the losses last year weren't his fault - or has the magnitude of correallation to his time at SD. We can harp on how bad the defense was, and It was, but to lump it on Banker is disengenious to the complete picture. I'm sure negative turnover margin has maybe a little impact to defensive production. I venture on a limb, but maybe the offense not closing out against BYU - dropped TD and missed FG, Illinois "run the ball Tommy," and get a first down (Wisconsin) could lead to defense seemingly losing the game for the team. Maybe the Iowa loss was the defense's fault too, a pick6 inside the 10 and holding an offense to half the production as our own didn't give them a shot to win. Our own defense must have made Fyfe throw 4 INTs and fumble somehow. It was Banker's fault too that the entire got into a fight leading up to the bowl game too

Edit: Banker may not be the answer to get us back to championship status - was the implied meaning

Win as a team. Lose as a team. Coaches, players, offense, defense, punters, kickers, etc etc etc.

Some blame the defense for giving a TD with seconds left. I can find 20 instances prior to legitimize blame on the offense

Some blame the coaches for particular games. I can find numerous cases where there was completely garbage focus and execution prior to a decision.

But to look at the process of an entire game would require some thought. And now a days, that's too much work for some ppl. Theyd rather ride or die on their extreme opinion.

And again, i'm awed how this turned into me saying Banker concerns werent legit, or that our defense wasnt bad when all i did was point out how in some cases, it wasnt JUST the defense. Message board logic I guess. it'll get you every time.

• Fire 2

I think too many put too much emphasis on the first games and very little on the last four. This team changed, an all out fight was also mentioned. Buy in or get the fork out it seemed is what happened. And most did. Awfully hard to do anything with half not wanting to, arguing, doing the opposite of what is being asked, not trusting, and this word called loyalty. Sometimes loyalty is not good, and I think we saw it a lot last year. But towards the end, the group become loyal to themselves and followed the new leadership.

No idea of how we will do this year, but I expect to see a better team and effort from the start. I expect to see a team that is on the same page, and I truly do not think we have had that for quite awhile, maybe since Coach Osborne's last year. In house battles hurt teams, we have seen that a lot and too much of it last year.

• Fire 1

I think too many put too much emphasis on the first games and very little on the last four.

Last 4 games?

Can't blame MSU for looking past a 3-6 dumpster fire that was just manhandled by the worst team in the conference; we caught them napping and caught some lucky breaks.

Rutgers-a perennial powerhouse team, are they?

Iowa-overrated

Ucla- was without some of their better players, but still a good win.

Our own defense must have made Fyfe throw 4 INTs and fumble somehow. It was Banker's fault too that the entire got into a fight leading up to the bowl game too

I don't disagree that the offense didn't suck as well many times. Heck, Nebraska had a lot more talent on that side of the ball, so I will concede the point and say the offense done even less with more.

As far as the entire (?) getting into a fight, don't know who or what.

Mike Riley says he's optimistic, we will go with that, as I would rather see Nebraska win than lose.

Can't blame MSU for looking past a 3-6 dumpster fire that was just manhandled by the worst team in the conference;

lol yes, you totally can. especially when it's us - MSU knows Nebraska as a kryptonite of sorts since joining the B1G.

We either play them tight or knock them off, I don't see any excuse why they would tske us lightly ever.

Can't blame MSU for looking past a 3-6 dumpster fire that was just manhandled by the worst team in the conference;

lol yes, you totally can. especially when it's us - MSU knows Nebraska as a kryptonite of sorts since joining the B1G.

We either play them tight or knock them off, I don't see any excuse why they would tske us lightly ever.

Why would they?

Maybe because it was the first time in history that NU lost 6 games before November. Just lost to the worst opponent on NU's schedule, one of the worst Power Five conference teams out there. Gave up 55 points to a team that hadn't scored 50 points in the past 3 years. NU lost to a coach who had only beaten 2 FBS teams in his career at Purdue. Gained only 77 yards against the worst rush defense in the conference. The other schools look at Illinois, Northewestern, and Purdue on their schedules and laugh; but all 3 of those teams had just beaten NU, with Purdue's loss arguably being one of the most humiliating losses ever. Prior to the MSU game, the wheels had officially come off. Rock bottom, meet Nebraska. Everyone could see it. Even MSU. You may argue that we played a great game against MSU, or that MSU didn't take us lightly, but you cannot argue that there was no reason to take us lightly.