Sports Illustrated: Why Mike Riley sees a bright future after the Huskers' 2015 nightmare

You're right. I don't think the D is solely responsible. Certainly not for Ill, and only partially for Miami, and Turdue was just a cluster f#*k... But I was in the stand for BYU just completely baffeled at why we looked totally unprepared for the most obvious game plan from BYU.

Can't remember who was on 93.7 The Ticket in Lincoln yesterday afternoon, but they were saying that we'd have 8 guys or 9 guys running Banker's defense, and on any given play we'd have 2 or 3 guys reverting back to Bo's defense.

That's a coaching issue, because you've got to wash their brains of the last scheme. But that's also a player issue, because you've got to be willing to play for the man whose coaching you.

When you read over and over that several players weren't all in until the Purdue loss last year, combined with coaches who weren't utilizing the talent we had to the best of their abilities, you're going to have a dysfunctional season like we had last year.

• Fire 2

Can't remember who was on 93.7 The Ticket in Lincoln yesterday afternoon, but they were saying that we'd have 8 guys or 9 guys running Banker's defense, and on any given play we'd have 2 or 3 guys reverting back to Bo's defense.

That's a coaching issue, because you've got to wash their brains of the last scheme. But that's also a player issue, because you've got to be willing to play for the man whose coaching you.

When you read over and over that several players weren't all in until the Purdue loss last year, combined with coaches who weren't utilizing the talent we had to the best of their abilities, you're going to have a dysfunctional season like we had last year.

Exactly. Answer is in the middle somewhere. Like everything. That's been my whole point on this.

Zrod. i dont even acknowledge what happened in teh purdue game. all i remember is purdues first possession we got a third down stop, mark phillips was out on the field all fired up, and not one single player acknowledgd his ass for a hand slap or chest bump. That day, like you said. just a big hmmm.

That's the one thing that gives me hope for this year. And we'll know if it's legit right away.

That's the one thing that gives me hope for this year. And we'll know if it's legit right away.
Same here. I don't think the scheme Banker uses is a bad one at all for the style of play our opponents will have. In fact when it was clicking it was fun to watch. I just question whether or not he knows when it needs to be tweaked to counter an opponent's specific scheme. I guess we'll find out this season.

Explain how you can best utilize a players ability's when said players are resistant to the coaching they are receiving? Until they buy in, there is really not much a coach can do. Most of the problems have moved on thankfully and the other few are now on board.

After the Purdue loss, I think many of the players realized that they were only embarrassing themselves by their play (Gerry for one) and made the turn mentally to allow themselves to be coached.

BYU: Overall, the defense played alright besides the last play. Tommy played well. Highest rusher on our team was only 43 yards

Miami: Turnovers. Big plays given up on defense

Illinois: Tommy was 10/31 passing. Real bad play calling; didn't run the ball enough

Wisconsin: Gave up 469 yards. Tommy was 11/28. Couldn't get run game going

Northwestern: Their QB ran all over us. We couldn't run the ball at all

Purdue: Turnovers. Made their freshman QB look like 85' Dan Marino

Iowa: Turnovers. Run defense wasn't there

1. Tommy has to take care of the ball better
  2. We have to establish the run game
  3. Pass defense has to get better

If we look at the games after Purdue last year I think we can say it's legit.

To put the blame for these last second losses mostly on Banker and the defense is ridiculous. It's shows a total lack of understanding of the game and the process of events that lead to an end.

No it is not ridiculous.

What is ridiculous is trying to pretend that a crappy defense can be covered up with some inane phrase like "process of events that lead to an end", whatever the heck that is supposed to be or say or represent. I totally do lack the understanding of that. It sounds like a "Rickyism" to me.

I understand 457 yards given up to Purdue.

I understand what a 122nd ranking in pass defense means.

I understand 79th in sacks and 82nd in interceptions isn't good.

I understand 77 plays against the defense that went 20 yards or more.

I understand cm husker not having a good feeling about Banker, regardless of how he says it, because I feel it too.

• Fire 1

To put the blame for these last second losses mostly on Banker and the defense is ridiculous. It's shows a total lack of understanding of the game and the process of events that lead to an end.

No it is not ridiculous.

What is ridiculous is trying to pretend that a crappy defense can be covered up with some inane phrase like "process of events that lead to an end", whatever the heck that is supposed to be or say or represent. I totally do lack the understanding of that. It sounds like a "Rickyism" to me.

I understand 457 yards given up to Purdue.

I understand what a 122nd ranking in pass defense means.

I understand 79th in sacks and 82nd in interceptions isn't good.

I understand 77 plays against the defense that went 20 yards or more.

I understand cm husker not having a good feeling about Banker, regardless of how he says it, because I feel it too.

apparently you dont actually watch the game. you check the score on sportcenter and read the headline in the Sunday world herald.

You can divide the 2015 season into three parts (first four games, middle five games and last four).

In games one through four, we went 2-2 with close losses to BYU and Miami early. Considering the newness of everything and everyone, and the undercurrent of negativism from the coaching changes, dissent and distrust, etc. I think that was not all that unexpected. Perhaps we might have been in about the same state had no coaching changes occurred.

In the middle third of the season, the bottom fell out really and we went 1-4 winning only the MN. The team actually did fairly well in that game, although perhaps MN was more the reason for the Husker win that we were. Still, despite the turmoil and the horrendous record, the team did not completely fold up and quit and of course the Purdue game was the bottom. I don't feel we lose that one IF Tommy A had played instead of Fyfe, all other things being equal. We should have been able to defeat Purdue with our third string QB and several other starters out but the effort and confidence was just not there.

The final third of the year, starting with the next game after Purdue looks like a 180 degree reversal in many ways. From the Purdue 'stinker' to the defeat of Michigan State (a team on a mission and with everything to play for). I am not sure what magic dust Riley sprinkled over the team meal platters but the final four games were much better for the team as a whole. Tommy had several ugly throws in the Iowa game but statistically we kind of won that one. Iowa played not to lose as they had an undefeated season riding on things and in a relatively low scoring, close game, a quick TD or sudden change turnover would have allowed Nebraska to snatch victory from the Hawkeyes. I think something happened in the locker rooms or within the team chemistry that reversed our fortunes and the season finished with much more positive than negative vibes. At least that is my feeling. The team played hard in the bowl game, despite all the naysayers and constant criticism of both players and coaches. There is every reason to believe this good vibe will continue over into this season.

• Fire 2

I woulda loved to have been a fly on the wall for whatever hard conversations took place that week between Purdue/Mich st. Coach to coach, coach to player, player to coach, or player to player. Cuz the point in the article about the the coaches just continuing on with their business and players just all sudden deciding to play? That's just hard to buy into.

I woulda loved to have been a fly on the wall for whatever hard conversations took place that week between Purdue/Mich st. Coach to coach, coach to player, player to coach, or player to player. Cuz the point in the article about the the coaches just continuing on with their business and players just all sudden deciding to play? That's just hard to buy into.

Not hard for a reasonable person with some common sense. This is my take and confirmed by the players. After the Purdue loss, I think many of the players realized that they were only embarrassing themselves by their play (Gerry for one) and made the turn mentally to allow themselves to be coached