Sports Illustrated: Why Mike Riley sees a bright future after the Huskers' 2015 nightmare

Are these categories sub-catergories of the category "Things Mark Banker says". Could go a long way in explaining what kind of jibberish verbal diahrea youre spewing now.

Okay, how is this for a vaild reason for not having any faith in Banker:

During Mike Riley's 1-15 season as the Chargers coach, Banker's defense took the the field 15 times with the Chargers holding the lead and three minutes or less on the clock...and lost 14 of those games.

Did anybody else but me see any of that same pattern last year?

Oh, and the Hank Hughes firing thing with our returning defensive line not returning leaves me wondering about the management.

Not defedning Banker with this. The concerns are legit. But the losses to BYU, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Iowa, I can put just as much blame on the offense, if not more, than the defense. In these games, the defense played plenty well enough to win the prior 58 minutes. Jesus. 13 points against Illinios? While the defense held them to 7 points for 59 minutes and 50 seconds? Give me a break. Wisconsin? We had the ball twice to start the 3rd qtr, with a 7 point lead, starting in Wisc territory both times, and got nothing. Lost on a last second field goal. We had chances to put BYU away. 2 missed field goals woulda rendered that hail mary irrelevant. Defense played well enough to win against Iowa.

At some point you have to score points. Ask Suh. Cuz at some point youre gonna crack. you can completely shut a team down forever. To put the blame for these last second losses mostly on Banker and the defense is ridiculous. It's shows a total lack of understanding of the game and the process of events that lead to an end.

• Fire 2

Rushing defense ypg allowed: 9th

3rd down defense: 24th

Passing yards per completion: 34th

Opponents 1st downs: T-39th

Red zone defense: 52nd
Defense ypg allowed: 64th

Scoring defense: 76th

Team sacks: T-80th

Turnovers forced: T-104th

Passing yards allowed: 121st

Not getting pressure, never forcing turnovers, and letting all passes be completed results in opponents scoring points.

• Fire 2

Are these categories sub-catergories of the category "Things Mark Banker says". Could go a long way in explaining what kind of jibberish verbal diahrea youre spewing now.

During Mike Riley's 1-15 season as the Chargers coach, Banker's defense took the the field 15 times with the Chargers holding the lead and three minutes or less on the clock...and lost 14 of those games.

Oh, and the Hank Hughes firing thing with our returning defensive line not returning leaves me wondering about the management.

Not defedning Banker with this. The concerns are legit. But the losses to BYU, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Iowa, I can put just as much blame on the offense, if not more, than the defense. In these games, the defense played plenty well enough to win the prior 58 minutes. Jesus. 13 points against Illinios? While the defense held them to 7 points for 59 minutes and 50 seconds? Give me a break. Wisconsin? We had the ball twice to start the 3rd qtr, with a 7 point lead, starting in Wisc territory both times, and got nothing. Lost on a last second field goal. We had chances to put BYU away. 2 missed field goals woulda rendered that hail mary irrelevant. Defense played well enough to win against Iowa.

At some point you have to score points. Ask Suh. Cuz at some point youre gonna crack. you can completely shut a team down forever. To put the blame for these last second losses mostly on Banker and the defense is ridiculous. It's shows a total lack of understanding of the game and the process of events that lead to an end.

I mean ... I get what you're saying. And you're not necessarily wrong.

But trying to argue that our offense has issues on the same level as our #122 ranked pass defense isn't exactly comforting.

+1

But trying to argue that our offense has issues on the same level as our #122 ranked pass defense isn't exactly comforting.

Stats dont always tell the story.

yeah. Stave lit us up in the air, which is rather comical. But pick your poison? You want Stave or Leidner throwing 50 times, completing 25-30? or you want them in a position to only have to throw 15 times, meaing theyre probably piss pounding us on the ground, circia 2013-14? I'll the the first matchup.

Also, the bottom line is about points. it was Bo's exact words answering a quesiont follwing the Oklahoma game in 2009 in which we gave up 100 plays and 400 yards of offense, but won 10-3. it's about points. And in this day and age of the dynamic offenses and rules tailored more for offensive success, defense really is on more of a bend dont break type of trend. dont give up the big one, and hope the offense makes the mistake type of deal. just a generalization.

Our offense had issues. A lot of them. Cmon. 13 points at illinois? Missed opportunities up and down the field in numerous games. The turnovers? There was just as many issues.

Kind of agree with Mav here. Banker failed to realize what he had on his line and adjust in many games BYU was just the first glimpse of that.

Kind of agree with Mav here. Banker failed to realize what he had on his line and adjust in many games BYU was just the first glimpse of that.

What was he supposed to adjust?

It was a historically bad defense. The worst pass defense in school history. We had the #3 scoring offense in the B1G, and #10 scoring Defense (ahead of Maryland, Rutgers, Purdue, and Indiana...) and lost exactly 2 games where we scored less than 3 touchdowns (20 against Iowa, 13 against Illinois). Is the defense the sole reason we lost 7 games? No, but it's absolutely the main reason.

• Fire 6

Not run almost exclusively man-to-man coverage most of the time.

• Fire 3

Was it that the defense was struggling to run even the base D and coaches didn't have many/any options to adjust to - especially for the BYU game?

For the first game I can agree with that, but it became a common trend until late in the season. If you're guys can't even run the base D for almost the entire year, maybe you as a coach need to reevaluate your teaching technique.

Am I supposed to believe he didn't have a single package to counter a pass heavy offense that had WR mismatches? Because I could for the first game. But then we gave up 300+ yards per game the next 7 out of 8 games. The Illinois game being a terrible day to throw the ball no matter how hard we tried... Basic coaching would say hey, they're smoking me through the air, maybe some of my guys can't handle their one on ones... and they need help.
  • Fire 2

It was a historically bad defense. The worst pass defense in school history. We had the #3 scoring offense in the B1G, and #10 scoring Defense (ahead of Maryland, Rutgers, Purdue, and Indiana...) and lost exactly 2 games where we scored less than 3 touchdowns (20 against Iowa, 13 against Illinois). Is the defense the sole reason we lost 7 games? No, but it's absolutely the main reason.

It was a historically bad TEAM

Stats dont always tell the story.

Stats don't always tell the story. But they tell a lot more of it than you're giving credit for lately.

yeah. Stave lit us up in the air, which is rather comical. But pick your poison? You want Stave or Leidner throwing 50 times, completing 25-30? or you want them in a position to only have to throw 15 times, meaing theyre probably piss pounding us on the ground, circia 2013-14? I'll the the first matchup.

So those are the only two options?

Also, the bottom line is about points. it was Bo's exact words answering a quesiont follwing the Oklahoma game in 2009 in which we gave up 100 plays and 400 yards of offense, but won 10-3. it's about points. And in this day and age of the dynamic offenses and rules tailored more for offensive success, defense really is on more of a bend dont break type of trend. dont give up the big one, and hope the offense makes the mistake type of deal. just a generalization.

Considering we were near the bottom is all the big plays allowed categories, I don't think we were much of a bend, don't break defense. I think we were just broke.

Our offense had issues. A lot of them. Cmon. 13 points at illinois? Missed opportunities up and down the field in numerous games. The turnovers? There was just as many issues.

The offense had issues, as I said. But there were most decidedly not "just as many" as we had on defense.

• Fire 2

Was it that the defense was struggling to run even the base D and coaches didn't have many/any options to adjust to - especially for the BYU game?

For the first game I can agree with that, but it became a common trend until late in the season. If you're guys can't even run the base D for almost the entire year, maybe you as a coach need to reevaluate your teaching technique.

Am I supposed to believe he didn't have a single package to counter a pass heavy offense that had WR mismatches? Because I could for the first game. But then we gave up 300+ yards per game the next 7 out of 8 games. The Illinois game being a terrible day to throw the ball no matter how hard we tried... Basic coaching would say hey, they're smoking me through the air, maybe some of my guys can't handle their one on ones... and they need help.

That's why I asked. just curious. Cuz the way I look at it is when youre DC from the sideline is seeing we have no pass rush, and we're struggling with the simple man concepts, it's understandable how youre reluctant to try something new. Youre basically just in "hold on tight" mode and trying to ride it out.

Iv'e watched and rewatched the games from last year over and over. I'll stand on my premise. In a lot of our losses, our defense did enough to win. Even as bad as it was for stretches. but in terms of points... And statistically being so bad doesnt really have anything to do with using what happens in the final few seconds to place entire blame on one side of the ball. Which what my original point was. That in a lot of our losses, watching the whole game, and what transpired in overlooked middle stages of the game, the offense was just as much to blame. The #3 scoring offense that managed only 13 ponits at illinois. that scored zero points in back to back possesions starting from the Wiscy 40. Started like 4 straight possessions on Northwesterns side of the 50 and scored only 3 i htink it was. The blame goes all around for those losses. That's was my point. And it seems somehow it got turned into me saying the defense wasnt actualy that bad over all.

It was a historically bad TEAM

But more of that was on the Defense than the Offense. Trust me, I know the offensive issues that contributed to losses (turnovers, and average running game), but it still finished #3 in the league. IIRC, we let 8 of the 13 QB's we faced set personal records against us.

That's not good.

• Fire 1