Eight wins? More? What’s the bar for Nebraska Cornhuskers coach Mike Riley in Year 2?

The bar is to improve, and then to improve the year after that, and then to improve the year after that. Both in getting better and having it show up in the number of wins.

Here's to 6-6! It's an improvement! :cheers

Not in my opinion. The percentage is better but it means we didn't go to a bowl game. Our bowl game last year was a decent win.

I'd be fine with 7-6 if we win 9 the next year and 10 the year after that.

A successful season would be 9 wins. A GOOD season would be 10 wins.

8 wins should keep Riley his job; coaching turnover is detrimental to any program/franchise; and history proves that; although their have been a few recent cases of instant, or at least relatively quick success, but those are few and far between.

I would like to think that the Riley hire has potential for great success, and I would be willing to go through two 8 win season in order to try and reach that potential (and avoid the coaching turnover again).

That's just my opinion, though.

8 wins would be solid with this team and schedule. Still running a makeshift offense that the offensive staff isn't comfortable with. A lot of inexperience on the lines and the older guys on the lines aren't very talented either. Most of the tough games are on the road.

Next year the team should be looking pretty strong. More talent/depth and hopefully a QB that can run their offense efficiently.

8 wins would be solid with this team and schedule. Still running a makeshift offense that the offensive staff isn't comfortable with. A lot of inexperience on the lines and the older guys on the lines aren't very talented either. Most of the tough games are on the road.

Next year the team should be looking pretty strong. More talent/depth and hopefully a QB that can run their offense efficiently.

I guarantee that when next yr. rolls around there will be alot here still sayin " next yr." you just wait.

• Fire 1

For me the bar for success is 9 this year I mean you fired a 9 win coach so new guy gets only one pass right? Then after that 10 wins at least every other year and a conference championship at least every 5

No. Pelini plateaued, and that was only part of why he was fired. Riley needs to continue to improve. 8 wins would be an improvement. Year 3 if Riley wins less than 9, then he should be on the hot seat or fired.

I guarantee that when next yr. rolls around there will be alot here still sayin " next yr." you just wait.

I said that every year for 20 years until Osborne finally started his incredible run. So yeah, nothing wrong with saying "next year". :)

• Fire 1

Such is the life of every sports fan, marko. Chicago Bears fans have been saying it for 30 years.

I really think the ceiling is about 9 wins, the floor is around 6. I look across the roster and I don't see a ton of places where I can point and say they got noticeably better in those areas. The major areas I hope they have improved would be culture, identity and trust in the coaches. A better understanding of what's being asked of them should translate to the field. The talent is there to compete for a West division title.

• Fire 1

We are about in the area of Wisconsin, and Iowa. A little better than Northwestern, but heavy experience on that team, that just fights. If a team identifies with its coach, the kids at Northwestern do.

For this group to come together (us) I think we need to win the division, one small step, then we need to be competitive with who ever we play in the CCG. Win would be nice, but beating the likes of Ohio State once in a given year is a huge step for this team. Depth is just not there yet.

And a lot of the Bobots are right about the past years coaching, questionable, very questionable at times, but I am buying they were learning what they had, who was on board and how to deal with it. Not everyone is going to be happy, but improvement in the use of the players would be a huge step. Win the ones we should, scrape out one or two, we shouldn't and this will be a happy place. Another head scratching year like last year, will spell the end of this staff. I don't see that happening. I think Coach Riley is truly excited about seeing this team take the field. I know I am, hope everyone of us, gives them the opportunity to improve, even if it is tiny steps.