Scheduling

ScottyIce

I suppose if we only play tOSU and don't have MSU or Michicken them we should have two P5 schools on the schedule. If the B1G would do us one favor they should rotate MSU OSU and Michigan so that we play 2 of 3 every other year.

Here's the 2018 schedule; and by then we'll FINALLY be free of any players who were recruited or coached by Pelini and his staff.

9/1 Akron

9/8 Colorado

9/15 Troy

9/22 at Michigan

9/29 Purdue

10/6 at Wisconsin

10/13 at Northwestern

10/20 Minnesota

10/27 OPEN

11/3 at Ohio State

11/10 Illinois

11/17 Michigan State

11/23 at Iowa

Why is it so bad to be a player that was recruited by Pelini and his staff? They are Huskers just like the guys being recruited by Riley and his staff. The team can't exist with the thought of Pelini guys vs. Riley guys. There are still plenty of "Pelini" guys that the Huskers are going to need in the next 2 years, and the vast majority of the 2015 recruiting class originally committed to Pelini.

I agree, I think we got rid of the disruptive bad apple Pelini guys over the first year plus, whoever is left has seemed to buy into the new system so I really don't care who recruited them. As for the schedule, don't forget that Tennessee pussed out and pushed back our home and home for this and next year back a decade because playing Nebraska would "make their schedule too tough."

After watching their overrated asses last weekend, I guess they were right after they needed a few calls go their way to beat App State in OT.

• Fire 1

I suppose if we only play tOSU and don't have MSU or Michicken them we should have two P5 schools on the schedule. If the B1G would do us one favor they should rotate MSU OSU and Michigan so that we play 2 of 3 every other year.

Here's the 2018 schedule; and by then we'll FINALLY be free of any players who were recruited or coached by Pelini and his staff.

9/1 Akron

9/8 Colorado

9/15 Troy

9/22 at Michigan

9/29 Purdue

10/6 at Wisconsin

10/13 at Northwestern

10/20 Minnesota

10/27 OPEN

11/3 at Ohio State

11/10 Illinois

11/17 Michigan State

11/23 at Iowa

OH MY GOD! That schedule is brutal, I am not one of those people who are content with 9-3, 9-4 seasons but I think that in 2018 that we might be lucky to only lose 3 games. @Michigan, @ Ohio State @ Wisconsin @ Iowa and Michigan State @ home. :(

TBH we already have some cupcake games built-in to our schedule. Don't talk about last year or how we lost to them either, they are cupcakes flat-out. Illinois and Purdue.

I will not get into a topicality debate with you. :)

I agree that more big games would be fun for the fans, but I do not think that one marquee matchup philosophy is bad. The SQ is just fine, and is generally accepted across P5 conferences.

With how far out you have to schedule...

1. You have no idea how the B1G will schedule us. Two marquees with a Wisconsin-esque schedule essentially eliminates you from the playoff conversation before it begins.
  2. You have no idea how good teams will be. S. Alabama and Southern Miss from last year, not needle pushers. This year, they have already upset SEC teams.

I would like to see us schedule Northwestern or Minnesota in week 2. That would give us a warm up game in week 1, then an early divisional game. That would free us up down the stretch to pencil in another warm up but in this case a breather. The SEC does this and it works brilliantly.

We could even set up a yearly OOC with Kansas in week 2. It would typically be a squash but against a Power 5 team. Or schedule them before the Iowa game.

Nebraska will always want 7 home games per year, and that is a little more difficult now that the B1G has gone to 9 conference games. Every other year, NU is guaranteed to 5 road games in conference play. That forces NU to only have home games in non-conference play.

With the influx of TV money coming next year, maybe NU will become more relaxed on the 7 home game policy, and accept a neutral-site game. However, NU knows how much home games mean to the economy of Lincoln, so I think NU will try to get 7 home games every year.

• Fire 2

As far as big name opponents for OOC goes, there is no reason we shouldn't try to set up games with SEC teams. Home and Home though dadgummit.

I would also like to see us schedule Notre Dame, USC, Texas, and Florida State.

We played USC a few years ago and we were supposed to play an SEC team (Tennessee) this year but they backed out. Which is why we are now playing Oregon.

As far as big name opponents for OOC goes, there is no reason we shouldn't try to set up games with SEC teams. Home and Home though dadgummit.

I would also like to see us schedule Notre Dame, USC, Texas, and Florida State.

We played USC a few years ago and we were supposed to play an SEC team (Tennessee) this year but they backed out. Which is why we are now playing Oregon.

Right. I would like to see us schedule them again.

9/1 Akron

9/8 Colorado

9/15 Troy

9/22 at Michigan

9/29 Purdue

10/6 at Wisconsin

10/13 at Northwestern

10/20 Minnesota

10/27 OPEN

11/3 at Ohio State

11/10 Illinois

11/17 Michigan State

11/23 at Iowa

Lord be with us...

That will be Riley's last year for sure

Look at what scheduling good opponents did for Wisconsin and Texas. They went from unranked to #10 and #11 after big wins.

Yep - there really isn't much to lose if you're Wisconsin. A win and it catapults you to really good standing - you lose and, well, everybody expected you to.

Of course, that all only matters right now. I'd be shocked if LSU wins more than 7-8 games this year and I think, come December, that the LSU win isn't going to look as good for Wisconsin. I also think Wisconsin will only be a 7-8 win team come season's end as well given their schedule. I'm not convinced by much that came out of that game between LSU/Wisconsin.

• Fire 1

Look at what scheduling good opponents did for Wisconsin and Texas. They went from unranked to #10 and #11 after big wins.

Yep - there really isn't much to lose if you're Wisconsin. A win and it catapults you to really good standing - you lose and, well, everybody expected you to.

Of course, that all only matters right now. I'd be shocked if LSU wins more than 7-8 games this year and I think, come December, that the LSU win isn't going to look as good for Wisconsin. I also think Wisconsin will only be a 7-8 win team come season's end as well given their schedule. I'm not convinced by much that came out of that game between LSU/Wisconsin.

Agreed. I expected LSU to roll because I believed they were going to be a contender. They didn't because the aren't. I still think Wiscy's offense is hanging on by a thread, same problem LSU has had for years.