The "Riley" Factor against Oregon

I would sure hope so. Riley not only faced Oregon every year in the same conference and got to see this style of play for 7 straight years, he was in the same state as Oregon. I hope Riley knows that kicking field goals or being stuck around the Ducks 40 yard line and punting on 4th and short is not how you beat the Ducks. You have to score touchdowns and you have to capatilize off of every single drive. You can be up by 21-28 points on these guys and they can roar right back into the game and blow you out.

Royce Freeman is a monster of a RB, and they have two other speedster backs to compliment him. They also have maybe the most talented WR core in the PAC-12. Their QB looks like he is capable of keeping plays alive with his feet and he seems to have an arm.

What is decieving about Oregon's defense is they will give up plenty of yards but they dont give up an overload of points. They are a classic example of a bend but dont break defense. So anytime Nebraska is able to make Oregons defense bend and get into the redzone, they must score touchdowns.

I am very uncertain about this game. But I sure hope Riley has figured out the Ducks after all these years since he now finally has the depth and talent, or at least more depth and talent then he had at Oregon State.

The interesting thing here is, Oregon hasn't changed their offense in 9 years, and Riley has been running the same thing he did at Oregon State. So both these coaching staffs should be very familiar with each others game plans.

I would sure hope so. Riley not only faced Oregon every year in the same conference and got to see this style of play for 7 straight years, he was in the same state as Oregon. I hope Riley knows that kicking field goals or being stuck around the Ducks 40 yard line and punting on 4th and short is not how you beat the Ducks. You have to score touchdowns and you have to capatilize off of every single drive. You can be up by 21-28 points on these guys and they can roar right back into the game and blow you out.

Royce Freeman is a monster of a RB, and they have two other speedster backs to compliment him. They also have maybe the most talented WR core in the PAC-12. Their QB looks like he is capable of keeping plays alive with his feet and he seems to have an arm.

What is decieving about Oregon's defense is they will give up plenty of yards but they dont give up an overload of points. They are a classic example of a bend but dont break defense. So anytime Nebraska is able to make Oregons defense bend and get into the redzone, they must score touchdowns.

I am very uncertain about this game. But I sure hope Riley has figured out the Ducks after all these years since he now finally has the depth and talent, or at least more depth and talent then he had at Oregon State.

The interesting thing here is, Oregon hasn't changed their offense in 9 years, and Riley has been running the same thing he did at Oregon State. So both these coaching staffs should be very familiar with each others game plans.

if Virginia can bend them I think we can break them. They are still high powered in the offensive skill positions. Should make for an interesting match up! Agree with the above poster, the battle in the trenches when the skers are defending will be a way to either take control of the game or get mauled in the run game big matchup there.

if Virginia can bend them I think we can break them. They are still high powered in the offensive skill positions. Should make for an interesting match up! Agree with the above poster, the battle in the trenches when the skers are defending will be a way to either take control of the game or get mauled in the run game big matchup there.

The game was more like 44-20 rather then the 26. I get this only from the box score as I did not see the ending of the game due to how late it was, but I would imagine Virginia scored in garbage time, and I am sure most of those yardage stats are skewed as Oregon probably had their backups in early in the second half.

One thing was certain, early on in that game Virginia was able to run the ball with huge holes. Hopefully Newby and Ozigbo have big days. Another way to stop Oregon is to keep their offense off the field, so just run on them all day if you are able to.

None. It won't matter because we won't be able to stop you, regardless

The only thing that stops NU from scoring 40+ is Langsdorf's playcalling or Tommy having an awful game.

I'm very disappointed in the way the ducks look. Horrible tackling. It's just flat bad.

The unfortunate thing is. If NU wins, we won't do much to help make it look like a big win for NU down the road. Oregon looks like an average Pac12 team right now. In all Honesty, Colorado could beat Oregon.

Surprised to see you this down on them after only 2 games. I knew their defense would be suspect and lack of an elite RB/QB makes them less effective on offense, but overall they have just about as good a shot at a Pac 12 title as most of the league right now.
Royce Freeman doesn't fit for you as elite????? He'd be starting here from day one, as well as pretty much every other school in. America. Royce is a major concern.

^^^this. Freeman is a star and we have to slow him down to win this game

They also need a QB to be truly dangerous.

The game was more like 44-20 rather then the 26. I get this only from the box score as I did not see the ending of the game due to how late it was, but I would imagine Virginia scored in garbage time, and I am sure most of those yardage stats are skewed as Oregon probably had their backups in early in the second half.

One thing was certain, early on in that game Virginia was able to run the ball with huge holes. Hopefully Newby and Ozigbo have big days. Another way to stop Oregon is to keep their offense off the field, so just run on them all day if you are able to.

running yards weren't too skewed, as you said Virginia had success on the ground in the FIRST half. That's big time because we should be better at running the ball than Virginia is

From OWH: Oregon has been known for its offensive prowess. Its something that NU defensive coordinator Mark Banker witnessed up close for years when he and Husker head coach Mike Riley were at Oregon State.

You got to know that theyre going to get their yards, Banker said. But you just want them to come slowly. Make them drive the ball, because they feast on big plays.

The only thing that stops NU from scoring 40+ is Langsdorf's playcalling or Tommy having an awful game.

I'm very disappointed in the way the ducks look. Horrible tackling. It's just flat bad.

The unfortunate thing is. If NU wins, we won't do much to help make it look like a big win for NU down the road. Oregon looks like an average Pac12 team right now. In all Honesty, Colorado could beat Oregon.

The unfortunate other side of this statement is IF Oregon drums us then we are in worst shape than we are thinking right now. Scary to think about........if what you're saying is correct.

The unfortunate other side of this statement is IF Oregon drums us then we are in worst shape than we are thinking right now. Scary to think about........if what you're saying is correct.

Oregon hasn't been overly inpressive in their 2 wins. We have been moderately impressive over 2 teams who are maybe a little better.

We lose to Oregon it will be because of our Defense and if that is the case we are going to be in for another frustrating year.

Oregon hasn't been overly inpressive in their 2 wins. We have been moderately impressive over 2 teams who are maybe a little better.

We lose to Oregon it will be because of our Defense and if that is the case we are going to be in for another frustrating year.

Ya. It's gunna be a frustrating game if you like defense.

They left their starters in the whole game I think. The announcers actually made a joke about it late in the 4th. I know the QB played the whole game.

Just watching Oregon it felt like NU would have been having a field day on the ground, and could easily put up 35+ (which we'll need to). If ypu spread the ducks out and run it between the tackles they're going to have issues. Virginia was also penetrating defensively on runs but didn't have the athletes to finish plays before they broke loose. The receiving corp and QBs ability to keep plays alive is what scares me. Along with those jet sweeps they love to run. We've been good at stopping those so far, but we haven't seen anybody run them with this much speed. I'm frankly a little worried that we may be too slow on defense.

We've got a real chance if we can just play sound football on defense. If the offense can play mistake free it will be a big day.

They left their starters in the whole game I think. The announcers actually made a joke about it late in the 4th. I know the QB played the whole game.

Just watching Oregon it felt like NU would have been having a field day on the ground, and could easily put up 35+ (which we'll need to). If ypu spread the ducks out and run it between the tackles they're going to have issues. Virginia was also penetrating defensively on runs but didn't have the athletes to finish plays before they broke loose. The receiving corp and QBs ability to keep plays alive is what scares me. Along with those jet sweeps they love to run. We've been good at stopping those so far, but we haven't seen anybody run them with this much speed. I'm frankly a little worried that we may be too slow on defense.

We've got a real chance if we can just play sound football on defense. If the offense can play mistake free it will be a big day.

The Oregon starting QB took the snaps on the final drive of the game when Oregon could have kneed to finish, and decided to keep running plays anyways. They received criticism for it. I'm scared of the offense too, but a team who's starters can only put up 44 on Virginia's D and give up 26 to an opponent who only scored 20 on their FCS foe a week before, I'm feeling positive.

I think we're looking too much in this thread at what Oregon did in their warmup games against UVA and UC Davis. But the thing is, teams do all sorts of posturing in these first couple games to mask what they're going to do down the line. Oregon's running game might not be as bad as it appeared the first couple of weeks. And they'll make defensive adjustments that we've not seen on the film of their first two games.

That said, I suspect Riley and staff will be sufficiently motivated to give this game their full attention. He spent quite a few years getting outmanned at Oregon State by big brother down in Eugene. That, and there are a lot of eyes on this game. I really don't know what to expectthe Huskers are still sort of an unknown quantity. But it should be a good game!

• Fire 1