Week 3 Preview: Oregon

BIG ERN

Watched their game against Virg this weekend. The final score does not represent how Oregon controlled that game.

They are quick and they don't waste any time getting set. We will; need to substitute to stay fresh. Freeman broke off some big runs so we need to contain him. Their receivers have decent hands and will catch the ball if within their reach. I think we will need to pressure the heck out of their new QB to rattle him. Swing passes and sweeps are a big part of their game so having the edges covered will be important as well.

We need to play error free football and have long consistent drives to slow the game down and wear out their D.

Great observations. well said. Oregon will be in for a long day if Nebraska can stay positive in runs between the tackles and Armstrong stays accurate with his passing. Oregon will be shallow at linebacker going into this game due to recent injuries.

I'm going to start posting these here instead of making a new thread...here's a direct link to this week's episode of the Husker Football Fan Podcast:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/huskerpod/S02E12_-_Bohled_Over.mp3

This week we spoke with a friendly Oregon fan about his thoughts leading up to the game - you'll be pleased to hear he's expecting a Nebraska win :) The full Oregon segment begins at about 34:08.

• Fire 1

Like when he was asked about offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf and the offense’s game plan. Rose-Ivey is on #RunTheBall guy’s side this week, mostly because he wants the game clock to keep ticking away.

“We’ll put a buzzer on Langsdorf,” Rose-Ivey said. “It’ll be the ‘Run The Ball’ buzzer. We’ll have to get Buffalo Wild Wings in on that one to do that little thing and buzz him up.”

Rose-Ivey walked out of practice with a smile on his face. He’s excited about Saturday. He knows Oregon’s going to be fast. He plans to be faster.

And maybe just a little quirky, too.

http://hailvarsity.com/news/michael-rose-ivey-preps-oregon-speed-quirk/2016/09/

• Fire 1

Stewart Mandel's mailbag:

If Nebraska beats Oregon this Saturday, do you see pundits taking that as Nebraska on the rise or more signs of Oregon being on the decline? Possibly both?

-- Aaron Burgess

I’m sure there will be no shortage of wild overreaction on both ends, but I assume there will be more plaudits for Nebraska than backlash toward Oregon. Or at least there should be. The Huskers are the home team. They’re favored. Yes, they went 6-7 last year, but they beat Michigan State and UCLA down the stretch. They’ve started this season with lopsided wins over Fresno State and Wyoming. There would be no shame in Oregon losing, unless you’re holding the Ducks to a standard where they should reach the national title game every other year.

Now, my answer might change depending on how the game plays out. A lopsided Nebraska victory would play into the hands of those who feel Oregon’s program is trending in the wrong direction. I would be particularly alarmed if Nebraska runs for 300 yards, because rushing defense has been the Ducks’ most obvious weak spot so far. It might seem troubling as well if Oregon QB Dakota Prukop struggles given how much Mark Helfrich is counting on him, but at this point who’s to say Nebraska doesn’t have a great pass defense?

But none of this addresses an Oregon win. In that scenario, I’d assume there will be far more consternation about Nebraska and its continued inability to measure up nationally. For Oregon, it’d be a good non-conference win, but it’s had a lot of those this decade.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/mailbag-how-much-florida-state-will-miss-the-injured-derwin-james-091416

• Fire 2

If Nebraska beats Oregon this Saturday, do you see pundits taking that as Nebraska on the rise or more signs of Oregon being on the decline? Possibly both?

-- Aaron Burgess

I’m sure there will be no shortage of wild overreaction on both ends, but I assume there will be more plaudits for Nebraska than backlash toward Oregon. Or at least there should be. The Huskers are the home team. They’re favored. Yes, they went 6-7 last year, but they beat Michigan State and UCLA down the stretch. They’ve started this season with lopsided wins over Fresno State and Wyoming. There would be no shame in Oregon losing, unless you’re holding the Ducks to a standard where they should reach the national title game every other year.

Now, my answer might change depending on how the game plays out. A lopsided Nebraska victory would play into the hands of those who feel Oregon’s program is trending in the wrong direction. I would be particularly alarmed if Nebraska runs for 300 yards, because rushing defense has been the Ducks’ most obvious weak spot so far. It might seem troubling as well if Oregon QB Dakota Prukop struggles given how much Mark Helfrich is counting on him, but at this point who’s to say Nebraska doesn’t have a great pass defense?

But none of this addresses an Oregon win. In that scenario, I’d assume there will be far more consternation about Nebraska and its continued inability to measure up nationally. For Oregon, it’d be a good non-conference win, but it’s had a lot of those this decade.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/mailbag-how-much-florida-state-will-miss-the-injured-derwin-james-091416

I see it as both. It would be a big win for Nebraska, to finally get one of these games, but I am sure the national media will chalk it up as Oregon on the decline and Nebraska being a little better than what some expected after coming off a 6-7 season. Nebraska won't be judged on being good until they beat Wisconsin and Michigan State this year.

-- Aaron Burgess

I see it as both. It would be a big win for Nebraska, to finally get one of these games, but I am sure the national media will chalk it up as Oregon on the decline and Nebraska being a little better than what some expected after coming off a 6-7 season. Nebraska won't be judged on being good until they beat Wisconsin and Michigan State this year.

NU doesn't play Michigan State this year.

-- Aaron Burgess

If we beat Michigan St (or Michigan for that matter), give the key to the state to Riley.