Presidential Debates Discussion Thread

Ok....trumps surrogates are claiming the jail comment was just a joke and he didn't mean it.

This is a prime example of him not having a clue about the phrase...."words matter".

He wasn't joking. She SHOULD be in jail. His statement was a reference to the corrupt system that protected her from conviction.
So....you don't agree with his campaign.
I agree with him that she should be rotting in prison.
So....his campaign manager doesn't agree with him?

Probably not. Why does it matter? I haven't seen what his campaign manager said yet, but I would bet it's completely irrelevant.

On healthcare: http://www.vox.com/2016/10/9/13222688/clinton-trump-obamacare-debate

This was really one of the more illuminating segments of the debate, I thought. It's hard to put to words how incoherent the answer given by Trump was.

We've had one referendum over the ACA, and that was in 2012. Dismantling it now is the policy platform DJT is actually committing to. So, amazingly, another referendum on the ACA is exactly what is facing us.

Gosh I really wanted to see her do this to him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKXtNQLwsLM

Man, I really don't miss those primary audiences. Annoying as all get out.

• Fire 1

Yeah --

Rubio was absolutely right: that is no plan. Rubio may want to repeal the ACA as well, but he's no dummy. Trump doesn't care that he's wrong, and has nothing better for an answer months later. In fact, he clearly doesn't begin to *realize* there was anything deficient about what he said.

It's just words. Words, words, words. Lots and lots of words.

• Fire 1

With health care, I don't believe Trump has a concrete plan. I think he has great ideas and once elected will assemble a group of experts (hopefully led by Dr Ben Carson as surgeon general) who will put together a comprehensive health care plan.

In terms of health care, it was extremely telling when Hillary said if we were to start over the ACA would not be the way to go. No duh...

Ok....trumps surrogates are claiming the jail comment was just a joke and he didn't mean it.

This is a prime example of him not having a clue about the phrase...."words matter".

He wasn't joking. She SHOULD be in jail. His statement was a reference to the corrupt system that protected her from conviction.

I believe you should be thrown in jail. Why? Because if Hillary should be rotting in prison after years of investigations into her scandal by committees led by her political enemies resulted in zero charges then I can wildly throw this accusation as I see fit as well.

What she did was shady, very poor judgement that no one wants to see from a government official, but she was not brought up on charges. She hasn't even been SOS for almost 4 years. Stop trying to make this bigger than it really is.

• Fire 3

Because Dr. Ben Carson is a neurosurgeon, he is an expert on healthcare policy? The surgeon general plays a role in assembling an administration's healthcare agenda?

Of course the ACA would not be the way to go, because if we started from scratch we wouldn't be locked into the pre-ACA status quo that we were. We might, for example, choose single payer. The point was that the ACA was the politically available option apart from doing nothing. And the costs of dismantling it and returning to the pre-ACA days is high.

You missed the "Single Payer Now" or "Improve the ACA instead" debate. That occurred in the Democratic primary, with Hillary taking the latter position. Not everyone agrees, of course, but those people wanted single payer -- not a dream where state lines are erased (by federal mandate, one presumes?) and competition magically fulfills things without federal requirements. Even his Republican opponents knew this didn't even fall under "great idea."

--

On another topic, I am really glad they did not let Trump go on his call to ban all Muslisms. What the hell does "it morphed into extreme vetting" mean? What does "extreme vetting" mean?

No answers. And it should be telling that, even when this wasn't let go and he was pressed on the question, he had nothing to say but "Why don't you interrupt her?"

This was one of the most troubling, un-American, and roundly criticized pieces promoted as part of Trump's agenda. He was made to answer to the public about it before a national audience, as he well should have -- and he passed.

• Fire 1

I believe you should be thrown in jail. Why? Because if Hillary should be rotting in prison after years of investigations into her scandal by committees led by her political enemies resulted in zero charges then I can wildly throw this accusation as I see fit as well.

What she did was shady, very poor judgement that no one wants to see from a government official, but she was not brought up on charges. She hasn't even been SOS for almost 4 years. Stop trying to make this bigger than it really is.

It was a blatant violation of the espionage act, and approximately a dozen other criminal charges.

Stop trying to brush it off as not a big deal. It's a very big deal, and it's only the surface of her criminal activity.

She and her husband are utter garbage with an agenda that will obliterate America.

It was a blatant violation of the espionage act, and approximately a dozen other criminal charges.

Stop trying to brush it off as not a big deal. It's a very big deal, and it's only the surface of her criminal activity.

She and her husband are utter garbage with an agenda that will obliterate America.

Please, go into detail how this was a blatant violation of the espionage act and approximately a dozen other criminal charges. You'd think the investigations would catch these kinds of things.

I don't think she was as effective this time, but she was clearly more prepared, professional, and conveyed her policy better than Donald.

Wow.... Did we watch the same thing?

I heard "America is great because America is good" at least 3 times. That's a lack of words because he beat the crap out of her relentlessly.

She was noticeably flustered a majority of the debate because Trump was extremely well prepared, authentic, and assertive without being over the top.

It's past midnight, so it's Monday....but was Sunday "Opposite Day" at your house?

Please, go into detail how this was a blatant violation of the espionage act and approximately a dozen other criminal charges. You'd think the investigations would catch these kinds of things.

Unless they were paid off or in on a fix.

It blows my mind that every time Republicans branch into "special prosecutor"/"she was let off because her position" territory, they TOTALLY delegitimize a major federal agency's impartiality, the FBI, let by a Republican himself (or at least he was for a great many years-- perhaps Trump made him leave the party?), James Comey.

Like, Republicans are saying that the FBI is illegitimate and corrupt.

Blows. My. Mind.

• Fire 1