Presidential Debates Discussion Thread

Hillary: "no-fly zone" (this is an inoffensive answer, but not without criticism -- you'd probably have to look up some opinions on this, as I'm not nearly literate enough to provide analysis). If there's anything to add, I've forgotten.

Trump: Sides with Assad over ISIS, repudiates Pence on Assad and Russia, and "I'd say Aleppo is basically fallen, but how stupid is this country saying we're going to attack Mosul [note: in Iraq], why don't we just secretly bomb them and announce it afterwards?" (in response to, "What will you do *if* Aleppo falls?")

Is this where Clinton said "Hopefully its solved before I get into office"?

That was a :facepalm: answer imo

^ Trump had about the same (technically, slightly more) speaking time as Clinton:

When you can't win by being better, you complain that it's not fair.

When you're unprepared and don't answer the questions asked, you'll be pressed on them again. That's how it should work.

He's already set up the groundwork for an ugly non-concession in November, if he loses.

Oh he'll never concede. No way.

Hillary: "no-fly zone" (this is an inoffensive answer, but not without criticism -- you'd probably have to look up some opinions on this, as I'm not nearly literate enough to provide analysis). If there's anything to add, I've forgotten.

Trump: Sides with Assad over ISIS, repudiates Pence on Assad and Russia, and "I'd say Aleppo is basically fallen, but how stupid is this country saying we're going to attack Mosul [note: in Iraq], why don't we just secretly bomb them and announce it afterwards?" (in response to, "What will you do *if* Aleppo falls?")

She said, hopefully Mosul (in Iraq) is taken before she takes office. Given the apparent timetable (caveat: I'm not very familiar with this), that's probably true. She then said some stuff about Syria, but I'll agree there wasn't a great or clear answer.

I'm not sure one exists, on Syria.

(edit) you know, I should just refer to the transcript instead of summarizing:

RADDATZ: I’m going to go to Secretary Clinton. Secretary Clinton, you want Assad to go. You advocated arming rebels, but it looks like that may be too late for Aleppo. You talk about diplomatic efforts. Those have failed. Cease-fires have failed. Would you introduce the threat of U.S. military force beyond a no-fly zone against the Assad regime to back up diplomacy?

CLINTON: I would not use American ground forces in Syria. I think that would be a very serious mistake. I don’t think American troops should be holding territory, which is what they would have to do as an occupying force. I don’t think that is a smart strategy.

I do think the use of special forces, which we’re using, the use of enablers and trainers in Iraq, which has had some positive effects, are very much in our interests, and so I do support what is happening, but let me just...

RADDATZ: But what would you do differently than President Obama is doing?

CLINTON: Well, Martha, I hope that by the time I — if I’m fortunate...

TRUMP: Everything.

CLINTON: I hope by the time I am president that we will have pushed ISIS out of Iraq. I do think that there is a good chance that we can take Mosul. And, you know, Donald says he knows more about ISIS than the generals. No, he doesn’t.

There are a lot of very important planning going on, and some of it is to signal to the Sunnis in the area, as well as Kurdish Peshmerga fighters, that we all need to be in this. And that takes a lot of planning and preparation.

I would go after Baghdadi. I would specifically target Baghdadi, because I think our targeting of Al Qaida leaders — and I was involved in a lot of those operations, highly classified ones — made a difference. So I think that could help.

I would also consider arming the Kurds. The Kurds have been our best partners in Syria, as well as Iraq. And I know there’s a lot of concern about that in some circles, but I think they should have the equipment they need so that Kurdish and Arab fighters on the ground are the principal way that we take Raqqa after pushing ISIS out of Iraq.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/10/us/politics/transcript-second-debate.html

Reading this after Trump's answer, you can see the reason she brought up Mosul: in response to Trump's utterly bizarre wondering why the military is signaling in advance that it will attack. You can also see why Clnton was given some more room (she was answering the question) than Trump (who was cut off at 2 minutes so that he could be re-asked the same question).

She said, hopefully Mosul (in Iraq) is taken before she takes office. Given the apparent timetable (caveat: I'm not very familiar with this), that's probably true. She then said some stuff about Syria, but I'll agree there wasn't a great or clear answer.

I'm not sure one exists, on Syria.

I'm sure there is also some classified things going on that can't be talk about.

There's just no way to give an answer about in Syria in two minutes.

• Fire 1

It's very clear to me that he doesn't understand or value the concept of protecting civilians. Probably a mixture of both.

So I purposely did not watch it live ... wondering does this clip pretty much sum up the tone and tenor of the evening?

For about the first half. Trump eventually quit whining and lightened up on the interruptions. Absolutely ridiculous that he claimed this to be unfair. He made zero efforts to stay within time constraints and constantly interrupted Clinton, really forcing her statements past the original time limit. I also can't believe he asked why the moderators were biased and not bringing up emails. They DID introduce the topic and it was the topic of discussion for a needlessly long amount of time.

But I guess when your supporters are willing to eat whatever crap their fed he can say it was 1-on-3 and be believed. Way to go Donald! You had everyone else on that stage against you and you still crushed that criminal! #MAGA

Yeah, the right-wing (at least the segment that religiously consumes Fox News) will absolutely eat up the "biased liberal media" narrative.

I was, even with everything we've seen with Trump this last year and half, surprised to see him complain about 3 on 1 and press Anderson on why he wasn't asking about emails.

Maybe that was Trump's awkward, completely obvious attempt to pivot to more comfortable ground? From my eyes, it was just a presidential candidate actin like a petulant man-baby throwing a tantrum on a world stage.

Thanks!

Syria is possibly the biggest issue political topic on my mind right now. I *do not* want to put boots on the ground there.

I'm not sure which of the two of these candidates would be the larger war mongerer. I tend to think it'd be Trump.