Presidential Debates Discussion Thread

Ok....trumps surrogates are claiming the jail comment was just a joke and he didn't mean it.

This is a prime example of him not having a clue about the phrase...."words matter".

He wasn't joking. She SHOULD be in jail. His statement was a reference to the corrupt system that protected her from conviction.
So....you don't agree with his campaign.
I agree with him that she should be rotting in prison.

I believe you should be thrown in jail. Why? Because if Hillary should be rotting in prison after years of investigations into her scandal by committees led by her political enemies resulted in zero charges then I can wildly throw this accusation as I see fit as well.

What she did was shady, very poor judgement that no one wants to see from a government official, but she was not brought up on charges. She hasn't even been SOS for almost 4 years. Stop trying to make this bigger than it really is.

It was a blatant violation of the espionage act, and approximately a dozen other criminal charges.

Stop trying to brush it off as not a big deal. It's a very big deal, and it's only the surface of her criminal activity.

She and her husband are utter garbage with an agenda that will obliterate America.

Please, go into detail how this was a blatant violation of the espionage act and approximately a dozen other criminal charges. You'd think the investigations would catch these kinds of things.

Unless they were paid off or in on a fix.

There goes the legitimacy of your statement...

Ok....trumps surrogates are claiming the jail comment was just a joke and he didn't mean it.

This is a prime example of him not having a clue about the phrase...."words matter".

He wasn't joking. She SHOULD be in jail. His statement was a reference to the corrupt system that protected her from conviction.
So....you don't agree with his campaign.
I agree with him that she should be rotting in prison.
So....his campaign manager doesn't agree with him?

Probably not. Why does it matter? I haven't seen what his campaign manager said yet, but I would bet it's completely irrelevant.

It's weird, I read your posts and I have deja vu.

I was curious what you thought of the debate particularly, Moiraine. You're the only girl I know of that comes into the Politics section. I know you'd never vote for him, but seeing as how he's just completely hemorrhaging the female vote... do you think he changed any female minds last night?

No. He wouldn't stfu while Clinton was talking, he was attacking her based mostly off lies and half truths, and Bill isn't running for president. You're not going to win sane women over by blaming a woman for her husband's sins.

Sorry for the bedroom analogy but he reminded me of a guy who thinks he's going to find the clitoris by just thrusting over and over.

• Fire 2

Does anyone else find it funny that he constantly interrupted her in the first debate. Kain then interrupted constantly in the VP debate and he threw fit about it claiming "it shouldn't be allowed." Then.....in this debate he was back to interrupting her again.

This is just one example of how he really has no clue what he actually does. OR....he thinks rules should be for other people but he should be able to do whatever he wants because...he's so great...he's awesome....everybody loves him....bla bla bla....

• Fire 1

Here is a point in the debate that I thought would get more run in the post discussion debate but I haven't heard or seen anyone discuss it.

The topic was energy. Trump started off by claiming that Hillary wants to destroy the coal industry and doesn't care about those jobs. Well....he has a valid point there. But....then he goes into what his plan is supposedly. He started talking about the fact we have technology to have clean coal. So, we can use this technology and have energy for thousands of years by using the coal we have under our feet....so far so good. BUT......then he goes off on some weird tangent about how horrible the EPA is and how he would get rid of it and they are destroying jobs...bla bla bla.

Now....here is what is wrong with what he said. First....Obama has been trying to push through clean coal regulations ever since he took office. The Republicans have fought tooth and nail claiming it's not needed because global warming is a hoax. (Actually, Trump thinks it's made up by the Chinese to destroy us).

So....let's say he wins and is now President. How is he going to push through clean coal? He claims he is going to tear apart the EPA so he can't regulate it. The coal industry is not going to do it willingly because it costs billions of dollars. The US government could fund it but that's only going to increase the deficit and drive up our debt which he rails against all the time....Oh....and he's going to cut everyone's taxes.

So......Trump supporters......how would Trump get clean coal developed when the Republicans are so against it. He supposedly won't have an EPA to regulate it and the coal industry doesn't want it....and....the government doesn't have the money to do it?

PS.....and...if global warming is a hoax like what he claims......why do we need it?

• Fire 2

Spot on, BRB. And to add to that, the Republican Party platform actually declares coal clean. Solely by the power of declaration. It's incredible.

Its Clean Power Plan — the centerpiece of the President’s war on coal — has been stayed by the Supreme Court. We will do away with it altogether. The Democratic Party does not understand that coal is an abundant, clean, affordable, reliable domestic energy resource.

https://prod-static-ngop-pbl.s3.amazonaws.com/media/documents/DRAFT_12_FINAL[1]-ben_1468872234.pdf

Coal is not savable. Additionally, not only should we head in a renewables direction, we should allow emerging technologies to replace older ones without using the federal government and taxpayer money as an instrument to halt national progress at the service of the coal industry.

As for the coal workers affected by a shift for which they are not responsible, can we have anything more than sympathy for them? Of course. We could, for example, use federal efforts to help them move into other sectors rather than to prop up a dying industry artificially.

Imagine, by the way, if we had a race where both parties acknowledge climate change exists, supported Paris and the Clean Power Plan, and were substantively arguing with one another about who has the more effective federal solution to easing coal workers' pain. We don't have that. And it starts with the denialism illustrated so plainly in the passage quoted above.

• Fire 1

Hillary: "no-fly zone" (this is an inoffensive answer, but not without criticism -- you'd probably have to look up some opinions on this, as I'm not nearly literate enough to provide analysis). If there's anything to add, I've forgotten.

Trump: Sides with Assad over ISIS, repudiates Pence on Assad and Russia, and "I'd say Aleppo is basically fallen, but how stupid is this country saying we're going to attack Mosul [note: in Iraq], why don't we just secretly bomb them and announce it afterwards?" (in response to, "What will you do *if* Aleppo falls?")

So I purposely did not watch it live ... wondering does this clip pretty much sum up the tone and tenor of the evening?

For about the first half. Trump eventually quit whining and lightened up on the interruptions. Absolutely ridiculous that he claimed this to be unfair. He made zero efforts to stay within time constraints and constantly interrupted Clinton, really forcing her statements past the original time limit. I also can't believe he asked why the moderators were biased and not bringing up emails. They DID introduce the topic and it was the topic of discussion for a needlessly long amount of time.

But I guess when your supporters are willing to eat whatever crap their fed he can say it was 1-on-3 and be believed. Way to go Donald! You had everyone else on that stage against you and you still crushed that criminal! #MAGA

So I purposely did not watch it live ... wondering does this clip pretty much sum up the tone and tenor of the evening?

For about the first half. Trump eventually quit whining and lightened up on the interruptions. Absolutely ridiculous that he claimed this to be unfair. He made zero efforts to stay within time constraints and constantly interrupted Clinton, really forcing her statements past the original time limit. I also can't believe he asked why the moderators were biased and not bringing up emails. They DID introduce the topic and it was the topic of discussion for a needlessly long amount of time.

But I guess when your supporters are willing to eat whatever crap their fed he can say it was 1-on-3 and be believed. Way to go Donald! You had everyone else on that stage against you and you still crushed that criminal! #MAGA

It would be fun if TV would show the clock.

^ Trump had about the same (technically, slightly more) speaking time as Clinton:

When you can't win by being better, you complain that it's not fair.

When you're unprepared and don't answer the questions asked, you'll be pressed on them again. That's how it should work.

He's already set up the groundwork for an ugly non-concession in November, if he loses.

• Fire 1