Presidential Debates Discussion Thread

At the next debate I'd like them to do it Jeopardy Style. One word answers ... writing in for anything that requires detail.

shock collars!!!! when they go on too long or interrupt when it's the other persons turn they get a jolt to remind them to STFU

*audible chuckle*

It would have been a great come back for Clinton to say.....

"Well Donald, you should know that if you were paying attention in the security briefing that both of us get. You know....those briefings that prepare you to be President?"

He's too busy watching CNN to see what they say about him to actually listen to the briefings.

I have a question. I recorded the debate and started watching it about 30 minutes after it started. My DVR for some reason didn't record the very end of the debate. Did they shake hands at the end?

I think they did - then I heard she dropped the mic and said "Hillary Out!"

Seriously, I think they did.

I have a question. I recorded the debate and started watching it about 30 minutes after it started. My DVR for some reason didn't record the very end of the debate. Did they shake hands at the end?

I don't remember a handshake but I think they did. The big difference at the end between the two was that Bill and Hillary hung out for a little bit and talked to the town hall participants while Trump and family disappeared almost immediately.

I don't remember a handshake but I think they did. The big difference at the end between the two was that Bill and Hillary hung out for a little bit and talked to the town hall participants while Trump and family disappeared almost immediately.

The reason I ask is because it sure was cold between the two at the beginning without a handshake.

The reason I ask is because it sure was cold between the two at the beginning without a handshake.

Yes they did shake at the end. The only remotely warm part of that debate was the final question about what they admire about each other. Without that I'm not so sure they shake hands. I believe the full debate is on Youtube if you're interested.

That was a funny, harmless question, but there was no easy way for Hillary to answer without normalizing Trump and his outrageous transgressions -- which is a dangerous thing to do. Trump, on the other hand, gets to say something decent-sounding and normalize himself.

The reason I'm making this musing is, look at how our political process is almost catered to reward setting the lowest possible of expectations, and then trying to beat that. In theory, it's a rigorous process that demands competency. In practice, it is made for bombast.

I liked how Ezra Klein put it, although I think he wrote this before the debate. The one compliment Trump should be paid is that he doesn't run from who he is. He puts it out there, and we can all see it. But that's a backhanded, bitchy compliment and an enormously dangerous one for a woman to make. And the alternative, actually praising the guy? Especially in the context of the prior 48 hours? Unacceptable.