Rumor: Les Miles to Nebraska as Assistant?

The University of Alabama has 5 head coaches working under Saben. They hide them as analyst's. I could see coach Miles coming to Nebraska in that role. He is one heck of a recruiter and has established strong ties to the Louisiana area. He could be a gold mine for Nebraska.

Nebraska needs to use/work all the rules. This would be great, and I would guess Coach Riley and Coach Miles would get along fantastically. They both seem to be the same type of person.

I would be very happy to see this happen instantly.

We already snagged a long-time NFL EXEC last year, who is to say he wouldn't do that same thing with Les Miles?

Here is my take:

My personal opinion is that it would be awesome to find a place for Les Miles on staff. Whether it be a position coach (take over Rheads spot at a different position) or in the "front office."

My honest opinion is that there isn't a whole lot to go off of based on his interview comments. It felt like he was just saying that he can find something to do.

I do find it odd that he wouldn't refer to Nebraska as the school Ben is committed to, but maybe he just didn't want to say much about them right now?

Not mentioning Nebraska: Coaches aren't allowed to comment on unsigned recruits. Maybe he has this so ingrained in him that he is finding it difficult to change an old habit.

Maybe he will pull a Cosgrove and coach at a high school in Louisiana.

He could be an analyst for the Big XII network - oh, wait ....

Not mentioning Nebraska: Coaches aren't allowed to comment on unsigned recruits. Maybe he has this so ingrained in him that he is finding it difficult to change an old habit.

Maybe he will pull a Cosgrove and coach at a high school in Louisiana.

He could be an analyst for the Big XII network - oh, wait ....

Actually, I think HuKSer is right. Even as his dad, LSU offered him a scholarship. He's not allowed to comment... obviously that's different now that he has no affiliation, but I'm sure there are some legal bindings. I'm sure a coach who gets fired midseason can't go walk into the nearest newspaper and give them the rundown on every recruit and how they stand.

No

Thank

You

Has anyone watched an LSU game in the past decade?

We appear to be just now starting to get over the unorganized, erratic, mistake-riddled style of football that has plagued this program for over a decade. On top of all of that there appears to be some serious qb development and coaching going on. And now there's ppl that want this guy to come in here? No way. What is the draw to Les Miles? Because he coached at LSU, and with all the talent at his disposal, couldnt ever find a way to field what would appear to be a competent football team aside from riding the coat tails of massive talent advantages? And of all that talent, never once showed the ability to coach a qb or develope a qb, which was probably the upmost key in holding LSU back from being what their talent level said they shoulda been. And in the last few years, a talent advantage that was caught up to.

No

Thank

You

We appear to be just now starting to get over the unorganized, erratic, mistake-riddled style of football that has plagued this program for over a decade. On top of all of that there appears to be some serious qb development and coaching going on. And now there's ppl that want this guy to come in here? No way. What is the draw to Les Miles? Because he coached at LSU, and with all the talent at his disposal, couldnt ever find a way to field what would appear to be a competent football team aside from riding the coat tails of massive talent advantages? And in the last few years, a talent advantage that was caught up to?

No

Thank

You

We appear to be just now starting to get over the unorganized, erratic, mistake-riddled style of football that has plagued this program for over a decade. On top of all of that there appears to be some serious qb development and coaching going on. And now there's ppl that want this guy to come in here? No way. What is the draw to Les Miles? Because he coached at LSU, and with all the talent at his disposal, couldnt ever find a way to field what would appear to be a competent football team aside from riding the coat tails of massive talent advantages? And in the last few years, a talent advantage that was caught up to?

You don't think he could be an effective Special Teams coach who excelled in recruiting?

How about a "Front-Office" type of guy who focused on recruiting from in-house?

No

Thank

You

We appear to be just now starting to get over the unorganized, erratic, mistake-riddled style of football that has plagued this program for over a decade. On top of all of that there appears to be some serious qb development and coaching going on. And now there's ppl that want this guy to come in here? No way. What is the draw to Les Miles? Because he coached at LSU, and with all the talent at his disposal, couldnt ever find a way to field what would appear to be a competent football team aside from riding the coat tails of massive talent advantages? And of all that talent, never once showed the ability to coach a qb or develope a qb, which was probably the upmost key in holding LSU back from being what their talent level said they shoulda been. And in the last few years, a talent advantage that was caught up to.

I mean, Les Miles isn't coming here and I feel ridiculous even responding in this thread, but lol @ this logic.

So if he came in as an assistant or analyst somehow his mad hatter ideology would permeate through the entire program and instantly make Tommy Armstrong suck again, make us more penalty/mistake prone, and start losing games in bewildering fashion? You give him way more credit than you think, apparently.

Anyways, I wonder what coattails he was riding in 2011. Beat the (by end of season polls) #1 team, #4 team, #5 team, #17 team, and #19 teams by an average score of 40-20 going 13-1.

• Fire 2

I would not want to see him in a coaching capacity initially.

LSU loses more to the NFL draft than any other program according to ESPN and Siris. They average a class leaving every three years, meaning 25 kids go to the NFL between every 2-3 years. He gets the talent there no question. Is it the draw of LSU or Les Miles. My thoughts are it is Les Miles bringing them in the door.

I am doubtful of him coming to Nebraska, but like I said, he could certainly help this program from the recruiting side.

• Fire 2

Hate to be a buzzkill but if he becomes an analyst or something other then a straight up coach it would likely be back at he's alma mater.

No way would Les work under someone like Jim. Les might knock his teeth out before the end of the year. Jim is one hell of a coach, but a horrible boss. The amount of assistants that go with him to new jobs is very telling.

No

Thank

You

I mean, Les Miles isn't coming here and I feel ridiculous even responding in this thread, but lol @ this logic.

So if he came in as an assistant or analyst somehow his mad hatter ideology would permeate through the entire program and instantly make Tommy Armstrong suck again, make us more penalty/mistake prone, and start losing games in bewildering fashion? You give him way more credit than you think, apparently.

Anyways, I wonder what coattails he was riding in 2011. Beat the (by end of season polls) #1 team, #4 team, #5 team, #17 team, and #19 teams by an average score of 40-20 going 13-1.

Well first off it's just my opinion. Watched a lot of LSU over the years, esp the last few trying to get a read on what the infatuation with Miles is. It's a strange deal. Yeah. He had that one season that was just completely dominant. but for the most part it's just been a roller coaster ride down there, with the best of the best in his backyard (which makes his recruiting prowess very debateable) of erratic and unorganized football. It's something we seem to have been dealing with for a while here and are just now seeming to get over it. No, i dont think any sort of behind the scenes presence would cause a lot of problems or make us take leaps backwards, but let's be honest, he's not coming here for that. Like you said, it's such a ridiculous notion that it's not worth responding too. My whole deal is Les Miles has alway been one of them dream names thrown around seemingly, and I just don't see it. I dont see the draw. If we're going to pursue big name coaches, Les is at the bottom of the list to me. And the coattails he was riding were in fact massive talent advantage. Them two Bama/LSU games that year were who's who showcases of the following NFL draft. What we've seen since, and a lot prior, is more of an accurate sample of the kind of football that is played under Les. His only NC year, they lost two games, and were lucky that college football that season (2007) was a total crapshoot of parity in which no one wanted to be #1.