Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

I understand the sentiment of "keeping football at football games", but Rose-Ivey has the visibility and ability to make a political statement that the random person doesn't have that ability. I commend him for being willing to take such action.

I don't get why some people want Rose-Ivey to stick to football. He is a student-athlete that is obviously taking his education very seriously and has thoughts and opinions that he wants to speak out on. That is exactly what being college student is about, becoming interested in a topic and giving thoughtful opinions on that topic.

• Fire 3

interesting thing I heard today. how many times have you been some where when the anthem was played and saw people or yourself were talking ,drinking or eating on your cell phone not paying attention for what ever reason. is that respecting the flag and anthem??? did you say or do anything??? probably not.these players took a knee during the anthem in prayer. A prayer or a better country a better me and a better you. do I agree with it? no. I was raised to stand or your flag and anthem and I will continue to do so. but I have mad respect for these players who did so.they are not anti America anti police or anti white or any of that.they are pro equality and that's good enuff for me.

• Fire 2

Tabloid Journalism -

The title of the article and paragraph 3 are the car crash everyone is slowing down for. I'd love for him to expose the scumbag that sent him this information and we could really see where people stand on this issue.

You get to go to the last sentence to read "he's received "way more positive" feedback from Husker fans than negative since the protest."

Barry said that - not MRI.

I don't get why some people want Rose-Ivey to stick to football.

Some people want Rose-Ivey to stick to football when he is in a football uniform, with the football team, in a football stadium, during the football game. Any other time and place, nobody would care.

Barring that, then we are back to the hornet's nest analogy. If you kick a hornet's nest, the reaction and consequences are all out of proportion compared to the kick, but that's just how it is. Now he knows.

• Fire 2

I don't get why some people want Rose-Ivey to stick to football.

Some people want Rose-Ivey to stick to football when he is in a football uniform, with the football team, in a football stadium, during the football game. Any other time and place, nobody would care.

Barring that, then we are back to the hornet's nest analogy. If you kick a hornet's nest, the reaction and consequences are all out of proportion compared to the kick, but that's just how it is. Now he knows.

Do you feel Rose-Ivey is being disrespectful to his team, coaches, and University by doing this demonstration in a Husker uniform?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17644850/nebraska-cornhuskers-lb-michael-rose-ivey-receives-racial-backlash-anthem-protest

Just when I thought I could watch college football in peace. The Nebraska Cornhuskers do not need to get publicity like this. IMHO.

The unfortunate aspect of this article and these protest is that it creates an image for the profile of a husker fan, and that image is not good.

Husker fans are racist, biggoted a$$hole$ who attack their players.

We all know that is not a good representation of our fan-base. Attacking stereotypes with more stereotypes doesn't seem to be the answer.

Couldn't have put it better.

I swing between pride for the supportive comments I see from husker supporters, and extreme disappointment to see the hate speech and general lack of awareness that other fans are showing. I'm trying to keep perspective ... there have been far more positive reactions than negative, but the bad are so very, very bad. And those saying them are truly, absolutely, unaware of how bigoted and hateful they are. They don't even know enough to recognize it and keep it on the down low.

My heart is broken that we're still acting like this as a nation, and that members of my home state (including the governor) are setting such a poor example. And that same heart is full with hope that good outweighs bad, and perhaps this is the moment that the conversations can really start with those who haven't been able to see or admit there are issues.

• Fire 1

Do you feel Rose-Ivey is being disrespectful to his team, coaches, and University by doing this demonstration in a Husker uniform?

Since Rose-Ivey was quoting scripture, I think he missed this one:

"Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels."

...and this one:

"The beginning of strife is like letting out water, so quit before the quarrel breaks out."

...also this one:

"So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding."

• Fire 1

So saying he should be murdered and not standing for a song are equal?

I'm saying he exercised his right of free speech, somebody else is exercising theirs. Don't kick a hornet's nest if you don't like being stung, if indeed he did receive any texts as he described.

Or....kick the hornet's nest to reveal the ugly racists and part-time patriots who think of themselves as a hornet's nest.

MRI shouldn't be surprised but he can still be appalled. Most decent people are. Nice to see them weigh in.

If you are actually doubting whether he received the texts as described, you haven't spent much time on social media.

Check out the Twitter and Comments Section greetings Leslie Jones received when she was announced as a cast member of the Ghostbusters remake.

Guess she was asking for it.

• Fire 7