Jones, Gerry Named Early All-Americans by Pro Football Focus

Mavric

I think we were lined up too heavy to one side. We only had four guys on that side of the center. They blocked down and pulled to guys and we simply didn't have enough guys to get off the blocks. MRI took a couple steps with flow and by the time he tried to get back there was someone there to block him.

Play is at 37:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRkbm71GsTo

That, and it was a great block by the center and an even better run by Thorson. Pretty impressive for the center to pull and get upfield that fast. It looks like Gerry slipped a bit when he shucked the block, and NW's timing was perfect. Thorson was by him in a flash.

I think we were lined up too heavy to one side. We only had four guys on that side of the center. They blocked down and pulled to guys and we simply didn't have enough guys to get off the blocks. MRI took a couple steps with flow and by the time he tried to get back there was someone there to block him.

Play is at 37:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRkbm71GsTo

I agree with your assessment of the alignment; they had the numbers advantage. Gerry takes outside contain on his blocker to force Thorson back into scraping LBs, they just never arrive.

Look...It is real simple.

I could have Coach K telling me "Hey, Dunk it...DUNK THE BALL" and I could listen to that and follow his instructions but guess what...I am not dunking it.

The staff seems to have figured out that they can win games by doing the simple things on offense and defense. At Nebraska that gets your 8-9 wins each year. There are a few games each year where you will either need some luck or have to out-coach the other team.

Last year, they did not do that. This year, they are.

• Fire 2

Crazy what running a scheme that puts players in a position to succeed will do.

What do you mean here? Compared to what? What was run last year? Or what was run the year he made all conference as an underclassman?

Running mostly Cover 3 this year vs. Quarters last year.

No way you get a response on this one. Your point was too logical. I'd also like to point out there is a difference between all conference as an underclassman and all-american.

• Fire 1

What do you mean here? Compared to what? What was run last year? Or what was run the year he made all conference as an underclassman?

Running mostly Cover 3 this year vs. Quarters last year.

No way you get a response on this one. Your point was too logical. I'd also like to point out there is a difference between all conference as an underclassman and all-american.

Why would I need to respond? Mavric made the point. The scheme (and communication) was awful last year. Glad they are changing some principles back to stuff similar to what we did defensively before.

Such a weird concept

Crazy what happens when the players listen to their coaches.

No. Crazy what happens when a scheme is used to play to their strengths. Duh.

Some of the players have admitted that listening to the coaches was an issue last year, Tommy Armstrong and MRI have both made statements to that effect. Please try to keep up.