Will Protests and Backlash Affect Recruiting?

ADS

Its honestly a mix of both going on, and I also agree with AtBone that this is the nature of this country right now. There is so much divisiveness every where you turn, and has gotten noticeably worse these past 7 years. The whole anti-cop sentiment which has been supported by many on the Progressive left have fueled many of the riots we have seen in the past few years, and while there are certainly bad cops out there, 99% are good and risking their lives everyday to protect us and our communities. It's ironic that the man who campaigned on bringing this country together will leave office with the country further apart than it has been since the 1960s.

Sure, it's obviously the fault of all the people that don't agree with you politically.

You disagree that this country is more divided now than it was 7 years ago, or that the left (led by this POTUS) have created an atmosphere of hostility toward police officers? I'm not here to derail a thread about a recruit but was just responding to some of the points made about this particular recruit's response to the MRI incident and his perception that Lincolnites are racists or unwelcoming. I would be happy to move this to the P&R forum, but given this pertains to fallout from the MRI protest, it seems applicable here.

I might be getting this wrong, but is a kid from the south with its deeply entrenched history of racism, say he won't come here because of some stuff MRI said?

Every fan base has its idiots, but Nebraska had been playing Black kids since 1891. ya know, when it wasn't cool all across the country, and missouri forfeited a game because they didn't want to play on the same field as a black guy.

If this kid thinks we are all bunch of racists because MRI wants to make a statement and got the inevitable backlash from the village idiots then he maybe needs to take a harder look at the schools he is considering. Minus 2 other northern schools all are southern schools and all of them didn't play and deliberately prohibited black players from playing well into the twentieth century, let alone even attending school there.

History doesn't lie, and if he doesn't want to come here because of racism than he's narrowed his school choices down to nearly zero. so have fun with that.

His issue isn't that MRI spoke up, or what MRI said ... it's the reaction of people up here. I think from the content of the rest of your message you're totally on point, but felt like that needed to be pointed out.

On a side note, I think this kid had little interest in us anyway. This just gives him a very public excuse to put out there to get some attention himself. (flights from TN aren't that hard to come by - we have a lot of kids coming from further and from more rural spots that figure out a way to make it to game day because it's a priority to them). He is Louisville 100% (imho).

On a second side note - I think we'll see fall out from this, but in a positive way. The university leaders (except for that one dink) the student body, the athletic department and the bulk of the state have overwhelmingly supported the stance these players took. I'd think that will carry far more weight for recruits on the fence, and for parents who are thoughtfully considering where to send their kid to school.

I'm pretty sure he meant MRI talking about the rude comments he received.

Its honestly a mix of both going on, and I also agree with AtBone that this is the nature of this country right now. There is so much divisiveness every where you turn, and has gotten noticeably worse these past 7 years. The whole anti-cop sentiment which has been supported by many on the Progressive left have fueled many of the riots we have seen in the past few years, and while there are certainly bad cops out there, 99% are good and risking their lives everyday to protect us and our communities. It's ironic that the man who campaigned on bringing this country together will leave office with the country further apart than it has been since the 1960s.

Sure, it's obviously the fault of all the people that don't agree with you politically.

You disagree that this country is more divided now than it was 7 years ago, or that the left (led by this POTUS) have created an atmosphere of hostility toward police officers? I'm not here to derail a thread about a recruit but was just responding to some of the points made about this particular recruit's response to the MRI incident and his perception that Lincolnites are racists or unwelcoming. I would be happy to move this to the P&R forum, but given this pertains to fallout from the MRI protest, it seems applicable here.

I'm making fun of your biased attempt to blame other people. I could spend a lot of time typing responses of how the "right" contributed to the same issues, but I have a feeling it will fall on deaf ears. And placing blame does nothing to solve any problem.

• Fire 3

Absolutely disagree.

The hostility toward police officers is a result of hostility FROM police officers. Obama didn't do it. The left didn't do it. The media didn't do it. Fox conspiracy doesn't work.

Cops getting caught on video doing things that are not OK is what is doing this. Modern technology documenting something that has been happening for a long time is what is doing this. This isn't new. It is just being broadcast. Your idea of not being divided involves people not speaking out about the things that are happening. I am glad to see that won't fly anymore.

I married into a family of retired/ current cops. I have spent holidays for the last 20 years with current and retired law enforcement from nearly every division. Years ago I told them I was never more afraid of the police than after meeting so many of them. I wasn't kidding.

The biggest racist I know is my mother-in-law's former partner- a retired cop- and that is saying something bc/ I grew up in a little town in Nebraska.

I do not believe all cops are bad, in fact, I don't think most people are all good or all bad. I also think being a cop is a hard job. I bet if I was one I'd cross the line.The good ones are protecting the bad ones and that makes them complicit. To some degree we are all complicit but hopefully more of us are starting to see we need to be involved. This isn't a black issue. It is an American issue.

I was part of a conversation a few weeks ago with the sentence 'he's a really good guy, he's just totally freaking racist.' I bet we all know this person. It's hard to know how to act. Can that person really be a good guy?

Also, how would you know that Lincolnites aren't racist? Are you of a race where you would experience this? Just bc/ you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening. I don't think they all are, or even most are. Racism in America isn't burning crosses on people lawns anymore. Racism is denying racism exists. Racism is blaming a black president for dividing the country when really, this country has always been divided and is now being forced to look at it through one of the only arenas where young black people have power.

• Fire 3

I don't like the slant this story is taking but I guess it's hard to argue with it considering what the governor and former Omaha mayor said. What a couple of jacka**es. A lot of people are generalizing (e.g. this player) based on headlines which is annoying. Agree with the sentiments about him living in the south and being worried about coming here.

• Fire 2

Absolutely disagree.

The hostility toward police officers is a result of hostility FROM police officers. Obama didn't do it. The left didn't do it. The media didn't do it. Fox conspiracy doesn't work.

Cops getting caught on video doing things that are not OK is what is doing this. Modern technology documenting something that has been happening for a long time is what is doing this. This isn't new. It is just being broadcast. Your idea of not being divided involves people not speaking out about the things that are happening. I am glad to see that won't fly anymore.

I married into a family of retired/ current cops. I have spent holidays for the last 20 years with current and retired law enforcement from nearly every division. Years ago I told them I was never more afraid of the police than after meeting so many of them. I wasn't kidding.

The biggest racist I know is my mother-in-law's former partner- a retired cop- and that is saying something bc/ I grew up in a little town in Nebraska.

I do not believe all cops are bad, in fact, I don't think most people are all good or all bad. I also think being a cop is a hard job. I bet if I was one I'd cross the line.The good ones are protecting the bad ones and that makes them complicit. To some degree we are all complicit but hopefully more of us are starting to see we need to be involved. This isn't a black issue. It is an American issue.

I was part of a conversation a few weeks ago with the sentence 'he's a really good guy, he's just totally freaking racist.' I bet we all know this person. It's hard to know how to act. Can that person really be a good guy?

Also, how would you know that Lincolnites aren't racist? Are you of a race where you would experience this? Just bc/ you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening. I don't think they all are, or even most are. Racism in America isn't burning crosses on people lawns anymore. Racism is denying racism exists. Racism is blaming a black president for dividing the country when really, this country has always been divided and is now being forced to look at it through one of the only arenas where young black people have power.

Wow, not sure where to start with that hodge podge of muck. I will start with one point I agree with you on. As with any profession, there certainly are some bad apples in the profession. If their are loopholes or additional checks that can be put in place to ensure bad apples are not allowed on the police force, I am all for that. With that said, like you, I have a family member in the police force, and your anecdotal "evidence" of your mother-in-law's partner being racist as a sign that police officers in general are racist is ridiculous. There is a concerted effort on the Progressive left that folks like Obama, Sharpton, and others have helped fuel, that are pushing this war on cops, and ultimately the divisiveness we now see in this country. Remember when Obama made the statement "we are not the red and blue states of America, we are the United States of America." Well, after 7.5 years of his terrible leadership, this country is more divided now than ever in my lifetime. And while racism has always existed and will to an extent, making that claim is no excuse for what he has done to divide this country. He's promoting a Black Lives Matter movement which continues to engage in violent protests. And let's not forget that they have, on more than one occasion, chanted that they want dead cops during their protests. Meanwhile, police officers wake up every day putting their lives on the line to protect us and our communities, and I have created a "Law enforcement appreciation thread" to highlight some of the many acts of kindness from our law enforcement.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/80498-law-enforcement-appreciation-thread/

Regarding Lincoln being a great town, if you want to bash it, go for it. Every town across the entire world surely has some elements of racism, and that's not the point here. The point I was trying to make is that Lincoln is a very welcoming town. I didn't grow up in Nebraska, but in my time their with my family, we felt welcome, and saw many examples of families from diverse backgrounds enjoying each other's company. I will stand by Lincoln being a good town.

• Fire 2

How are these people linked to Black Lives Matter officially, exactly?

I'm not sure who you mean by "these people," but if you are referring to those protesting the anthem, the whole start of this by CK has its roots in the BLM movement. This does not have to mean that every athlete who has kneeled thus far has had the 100% same exact experience that is causing them to kneel, but the general kneeling movement is closely aligned with the BLM movement/protests. It's kind of hard to separate the two.

http://www.vibe.com/2016/08/colin-kaepernicks-anthem-protest-inspired-by-black-lives-matter/

How are these people linked to Black Lives Matter officially, exactly?

I'm not sure who you mean by "these people," but if you are referring to those protesting the anthem, the whole start of this by CK has its roots in the BLM movement. This does not have to mean that every athlete who has kneeled thus far has had the 100% same exact experience that is causing them to kneel, but the general kneeling movement is closely aligned with the BLM movement/protests. It's kind of hard to separate the two.

http://www.vibe.com/2016/08/colin-kaepernicks-anthem-protest-inspired-by-black-lives-matter/

I'm referring to the same 'these people' that you are - the people chanting that they want dead cops. What is their affiliation with Black Lives Matter?

I'm referring to the same 'these people' that you are - the people chanting that they want dead cops. What is their affiliation with Black Lives Matter?

:facepalm:
Well?
Do they have to officially sign up somewhere, or does the BLM sign they're holding count? Does BLM release their membership statistics? Playing ignorant doesn't help anything or anyone - just as some of those, on the other side of the argument, are playing ignorant in the chat on MRI in the football forum.

:facepalm:
Well?
Do they have to officially sign up somewhere, or does the BLM sign they're holding count? Does BLM release their membership statistics? Playing ignorant doesn't help anything or anyone - just as some of those, on the other side of the argument, are playing ignorant in the chat on MRI in the football forum.

I've marched alongside BLM. They don't do that. That's a Fox News thing to keep mid-western white people afraid and watching.

In any protest there will be people that fall into your group, that are not part of your group, that have their own agendas.

• Fire 1