Huskers back in the top ten (AP & Coaches) after 5-0 start

knapplc

The gnashing of teeth if we lose to Indiana will come moreso from the premature perceptions that we've made it, that we're back, that we have transformed into a bona fide top 10 program all of the sudden, and the lack of ability by many to have tempered expectations and reactions to things not going the way they envisioned.

I think we're better than Indiana, but I can't say I'd be surprised if we lose this weekend. People can accuse me of being doom and gloom, but I don't think that's true. I try to call it like I see it and I don't think this team is as good as many do, at least I don't think they've shown that on the field yet. If we lose, doesn't really bother me any. I still get to watch football and enjoy myself.

theres a difference between saying this team isnt as good as some see it, and saying we're not deserving of the top 10 ranking. College football is nuts this year thus far. And we are being rewarded for winning the games we've played. other teams have lost. We have won. I agree with your stance. i dont see us world beaters all a sudden cuz we jumped 2-3 spots for not even playing. I'm not directing my remarks at you. I dont know that my remarks even apply to many on this very board. But i see a lot on twitter/sm/etc where people just cant help but discount any sort of positive news this program accrues.

We are a top ten team right now cuz that's what we're rated. it's inargueable.

now. my take is this. i am fully convinced watching all sorts of facets of the our games that this team is different. My whole issue-even in support of and just being patient for Pelini-was that it got to a point where we knew what to expect, and would then be proven right. This team is different. And until we go to Indiana, sh#t the pants, and meltdown and lose, I will not be convinced otherwise. All sorts of things are different. Beyond just football stuff.

• Fire 4

The gnashing of teeth if we lose to Indiana will come moreso from the premature perceptions that we've made it, that we're back, that we have transformed into a bona fide top 10 program all of the sudden, and the lack of ability by many to have tempered expectations and reactions to things not going the way they envisioned.

I think we're better than Indiana, but I can't say I'd be surprised if we lose this weekend. People can accuse me of being doom and gloom, but I don't think that's true. I try to call it like I see it and I don't think this team is as good as many do, at least I don't think they've shown that on the field yet. If we lose, doesn't really bother me any. I still get to watch football and enjoy myself.

theres a difference between saying this team isnt as good as some see it, and saying we're not deserving of the top 10 ranking. College football is nuts this year thus far. And we are being rewarded for winning the games we've played. other teams have lost. We have won. I agree with your stance. i dont see us world beaters all a sudden cuz we jumped 2-3 spots for not even playing. I'm not directing my remarks at you. I dont know that my remarks even apply to many on this very board. But i see a lot on twitter/sm/etc where people just cant help but discount any sort of positive news this program accrues.

We are a top ten team right now cuz that's what we're rated. it's inargueable.

now. my take is this. i am fully convinced watching all sorts of facets of the our games that this team is different. My whole issue-even in support of and just being patient for Pelini-was that it got to a point where we knew what to expect, and would then be proven right. This team is different. And until we go to Indiana, sh#t the pants, and meltdown and lose, I will not be convinced otherwise. All sorts of things are different. Beyond just football stuff.

Exactly this. The culture change taking place is almost palpable

i should also add that what has happened in college football this year is nothing but perfect reason to completely do away with this AP and coaches poll bs. It's 100% worthless and no reason whatsoever for them anymore. And all they do is generate false perception and assumptions before games are even played, putting multiple teams in positions they dont belong, whether it be too high or too low. I can argue why nebraska should actually be ranked 20. I can also argue why we belong right where we are. But the fact is, it doesnt matter one bit. The committee has the final say.

• Fire 3

OK....at least as it goes nationally, we are here. We are top 10. We are undefeated. This is what we have all been wanting. Now, it's time to make it mean something and not prove all the doubters were right.

I think this coaching staff will have the team's heads in the right place. Indiana might be closer than a lot of people want it to be. But, as Knapp has pointed out, we are really banged up on offense right now. I'm very concerned about how exactly bad TA is. I think I saw today he said if they had a game last Saturday, he wasn't sure he could play. That is a major concern going forward.

BUT....I'm going to love being top 10 while we are here and hope it lasts for quite a while.

What did you think the MSU score would be last year? Not many people gave NU a chance to keep it close, let alone win. How about the Iowa and UCLA games? After two decades of lowering expectations, Husker fans are damaged goods.

Indiana has improved. Indiana is a good team. Nebraska is better.

I was worried we wouldn't be able to hang with Sparty, but then we did. A week after Purdue, that was really a surprise.

So I think Nebraska's the kind of team that can play the right game and play with anybody. It's also the kind of opponent for Indiana that, if they play their game they can hang with us.

If NU beats Indiana 38-17, it's a really solid showing. Not "it took an off day, and their best." Just trying to keep the expectations steady. Nebraska is better, but it's a reasonably tough matchup.

• Fire 1

What did you think the MSU score would be last year? Not many people gave NU a chance to keep it close, let alone win. How about the Iowa and UCLA games? After two decades of lowering expectations, Husker fans are damaged goods.

Indiana has improved. Indiana is a good team. Nebraska is better.

I was worried we wouldn't be able to hang with Sparty, but then we did. A week after Purdue, that was really a surprise.

So I think Nebraska's the kind of team that can play the right game and play with anybody. It's also the kind of opponent for Indiana that, if they play their game they can hang with us.

If NU beats Indiana 38-17, it's a really solid showing. Not "it took an off day, and their best." Just trying to keep the expectations steady. Nebraska is better, but it's a reasonably tough matchup.

I remember last year after the Purdue game, I was looking for tickets to take the family and everyone thought I was nuts because we were going to get absolutely blown out.

• Fire 1

You can't judge on "who we beat" until the end of the season. Stanford, MSU and Oregon come to mind as pre-season darling that are not near what was initially expected. FSU climbing back up as is Ole Miss. Who would've predicted us at 9/10? We just gotta keep winning.

I will say if we had the injuries last year we do this, I would be worried. I have seen Langs (although I go off in the game thread on every "stupid" play) game plan to defeat a team. He seems to have adapted pretty well from game to game and shows the ability to A) adjust when needed and B) stick with something until he knows its time to switch. DPE/ZO/Moore should be able to do well at receiver. Not having Carter in the blocking and designed TE run game hurts. How is Foster in this (run game)? I saw where Cotton will assume more of Carter's role and Foster more of Cotton's.....

I am most concerned with TA. He didn't have near as many designed runs last week and even Riley said if we had a game this past weekend he might not go. Throw in a bad wheel on already questionable mechanics and that could cause some issues as could him being immobile. His PA and run/pass option are big threats IMO.

I'm happy for the rankings. Helps recruiting. Helps some of the Riley nay sayers (myself included) and has got to help the moral and faith of the kids in the system and each other.

• Fire 3

I can't help but think this will stir up even greater gnashing of teeth if/when the Huskers lose to unranked Indiana.

I imagine our doom-and-gloomers are already prepping their hot takes on not being able to maintain a top-ten ranking.

There's honestly no reason we shouldn't beat IU. They are coming off playing tOSU and just playing them you are going to be beat up some. Also, they were definitely preparing for tOSU in order to try and beat them, so they weren't worried about scheming for us yet. Combining this with our bye week and getting players healthy and being able to scheme for 2 weeks for IU I think we will win by 14+.

We'll be without Westerkamp, Ozibgo & Carter, three huge pieces of our offense. Tommy is hurt, Moore is hurt and Reilly is hurt. They're likely all playing, but even a bye week doesn't fix all their ills.

I agree Indiana should be banged up after playing OSU, but I doubt they're as banged up as we are.

I agree also that we should beat Indiana. But I won't be surprised by a loss at all.

A gimpy TA is my biggest concern right. We have plenty of receivers, but if TA can't run, he is a below average QB. I don't like the memories of TM hobbling around at QB.

i should also add that what has happened in college football this year is nothing but perfect reason to completely do away with this AP and coaches poll bs. It's 100% worthless and no reason whatsoever for them anymore. And all they do is generate false perception and assumptions before games are even played, putting multiple teams in positions they dont belong, whether it be too high or too low. I can argue why nebraska should actually be ranked 20. I can also argue why we belong right where we are. But the fact is, it doesnt matter one bit. The committee has the final say.

Where is the petition? I'll sign. The AP writers are clueless and biased.

You can't judge on "who we beat" until the end of the season. Stanford, MSU and Oregon come to mind as pre-season darling that are not near what was initially expected. FSU climbing back up as is Ole Miss. Who would've predicted us at 9/10? We just gotta keep winning.

I will say if we had the injuries last year we do this, I would be worried. I have seen Langs (although I go off in the game thread on every "stupid" play) game plan to defeat a team. He seems to have adapted pretty well from game to game and shows the ability to A) adjust when needed and B) stick with something until he knows its time to switch. DPE/ZO/Moore should be able to do well at receiver. Not having Carter in the blocking and designed TE run game hurts. How is Foster in this (run game)? I saw where Cotton will assume more of Carter's role and Foster more of Cotton's.....

I am most concerned with TA. He didn't have near as many designed runs last week and even Riley said if we had a game this past weekend he might not go. Throw in a bad wheel on already questionable mechanics and that could cause some issues as could him being immobile. His PA and run/pass option are big threats IMO.

I'm happy for the rankings. Helps recruiting. Helps some of the Riley nay sayers (myself included) and has got to help the moral and faith of the kids in the system and each other.

One thing I'll bet on is Langsdorf with 2 weeks to prepare for now Westy/Carter. The guy's a wiz. Ive been saying this since last year. I really hope he's our supposed coach in waiting to replace Riley when the day comes. That's why this game doesnt concern me as much as some. 2 weeks to reset, heal a bit, and even with the injuries we have, two weeks to prepare around that and analyze the capabilities of the backups to do enought to just get a W in the next two games. Then we can buckle up for the home stretch.

• Fire 1

One thing I'll bet on is Langsdorf with 2 weeks to prepare for now Westy/Carter. The guy's a wiz. Ive been saying this since last year. I really hope he's our supposed coach in waiting to replace Riley when the day comes. That's why this game doesnt concern me as much as some. 2 weeks to reset, heal a bit, and even with the injuries we have, two weeks to prepare around that and analyze the capabilities of the backups to do enought to just get a W in the next two games. Then we can buckle up for the home stretch.

I'll +1 for sure. Langs has really proven capable of exploiting what a defense does. None of this "taking"stuff. He sees tendencies and takes advantage. I really like the designed QB runs. Not bad for a guy who has never had one. Thrown in the TE play, using one play to actually set up another and calling plays to slow up 8 in the box is nice to see.

It might be ugly, but I'm thinking we win..

• Fire 1

I can't help but think this will stir up even greater gnashing of teeth if/when the Huskers lose to unranked Indiana.

I imagine our doom-and-gloomers are already prepping their hot takes on not being able to maintain a top-ten ranking.

I think NU wins the game and maybe by a couple of TD.

They just came off a big game against OSU and lost I see them being a little flat coming into the game with NU. To Indiana playing OSU is like was for Iowa St and Kansas to play Nebraska every year, it is the Big Game. They always get up for that game. So I take the results of it with a grain of salt. I wouldn't say that OSU brought their A game either. More like the B- game.

I think they have Nebraska's attention. They are not going to take IU lightly.

They have injuries also. Their best lineman and WR most likely out for this game.