Question about Coach Riley

LJsurf41

I mean in a football coach, I personally don't think faith really matters. What matters is working towards a successful football program.

Interesting. So being responsible for shaping/leading young men in athletics and college is irrelevant as long as the football program is successful? Do you believe that the leadership in the football program should have certain moral convictions having the responsibility they have?

One does not have to be religious or believe in a higher being to show leadership, moral convictions, responsibility and lead men. One can have "faith in their abilities" and be successful without believing in god.

I do not know Mike Riley's beliefs, and honestly I don't need to. Success in my book is not just winning but mentoring young men and setting a good example for them, for our state etc. Riley has proven he is fit for this job, regardless of where he goes or doesn't go to worship on Sunday.

So where does one develop and acquire moral convictions? Where does one acquire the discipline to adhere to these moral convictions and furthermore go out into the world and demonstrate them before others?

The second you (as in the religion) say "God is Good" you are stating that morality and God are seperate and that morality is above God.

Wow what a topic. Look at what is playing outing the political world in america today. Every person i know that has a strong faith in god lives with a lot less stress in there lives. Nebraska has been a leader in having faith as a part of the football program for years. Look a the NFL players kneeling down after a game, pointing upward after scoring and talking about faith in news articles. As a high school student I had the fortune to meet with TO at a fellowship of christians athletes meeting in Omaha and can say that Christ play a major role in athletics and every day life for me. I can only hope our new coach shares these same values.

• Fire 2

I mean in a football coach, I personally don't think faith really matters. What matters is working towards a successful football program.

Interesting. So being responsible for shaping/leading young men in athletics and college is irrelevant as long as the football program is successful? Do you believe that the leadership in the football program should have certain moral convictions having the responsibility they have?

Faith =/= morality.

That said, Coach Riley is Christian: http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2013/08/oregon_states_mike_riley_in-de.html

• Fire 1

Wow what a topic. Look at what is playing outing the political world in america today. Every person i know that has a strong faith in god lives with a lot less stress in there lives. Nebraska has been a leader in having faith as a part of the football program for years. Look a the NFL players kneeling down after a game, pointing upward after scoring and talking about faith in news articles. As a high school student I had the fortune to meet with TO at a fellowship of christians athletes meeting in Omaha and can say that Christ play a major role in athletics and every day life for me. I can only hope our new coach shares these same values.

+1000

FCA was huge for me as well. Thank you for sharing; that is awesome. This made my day, going to surf and thank God for the ability to do so, and live in paradise. Good game coming tomorrow and I trust we are in good hands. Have an epic Friday everyone! God bless!

• Fire 1

One does not have to be religious or believe in a higher being to show leadership, moral convictions, responsibility and lead men. One can have "faith in their abilities" and be successful without believing in god.

I do not know Mike Riley's beliefs, and honestly I don't need to. Success in my book is not just winning but mentoring young men and setting a good example for them, for our state etc. Riley has proven he is fit for this job, regardless of where he goes or doesn't go to worship on Sunday.

So where does one develop and acquire moral convictions? Where does one acquire the discipline to adhere to these moral convictions and furthermore go out into the world and demonstrate them before others?

The second you (as in the religion) say "God is Good" you are stating that morality and God are seperate and that morality is above God.

Not what I'm saying at all. What I am alluding to is that without the Spirit of God in us, we are subject to, and always will sin. Period. Sorry for not clarifying and thank you for your input.

Well, I appreciate your opinion but disagree. Inherently having moral convictions isn't really human nature. The way I see it the minute we selected men who lacked strong faith to lead our program the program fell to shambles: both in the W/L column and in a spiritual sense (see lack of respect for the fan base, anger on the sidelines, poor recruiting, scandals etc..). The body follows the head so to speak. After some research it appears to me that MR is a man of FAITH...like TO and this more than anything else makes me confident in our future as a football team and most importantly the future of the young men on this team and the men/women on the staff. MR seems to have his priorities in order:

1. God

2. Family

3. Everything else....

And we are seeing the fruit of that on/off the field. Just like TO.

Statistically, you don't have near enough evidence to back up your claim that faith in God is correlated with wins. Look up some other coaches, those who believe in God and those who don't (good luck picking out the ones who aren't just saying it). Then get back to me.

Logically, as a Christian, I say this is crazy talk. There are people getting raped and shot every day, and having faith in God leads to more football wins? What happens when one Christian coach's team plays against another Christian coach's team? What's the 2nd factor involved in deciding? Which coach prayed the most? Which coach was born-again first? Which coach saved the most non-believers? It's ridiculous to think belief in God leads to more wins. The only thing I will say is perhaps not having football as your #1 priority helps you relax more and not act like a jerk to the players, and could perhaps help in that regard.

• Fire 1

It's obvious Riley lives by a code of decency, humility, respect and care for others. I couldn't care less if he got that way from attending church or from life experience. And I get a little tired of religious people pretending they possess some goodness unavailable to other people- that's nothing but pride and arrogance.

• Fire 7

I personally hope that the God I worship doesn't care about wins or losses. Winning on a football field (or any field that matter) is a testament to faith, hard work, and overcoming failure. Very similar to the trials of life that God wants us to experience. Remember, Tom Osborne's book was called "More Than Winning" and I believe he truly enjoyed the process of shaping lives and the winning was just a result of a God driven process.

• Fire 1

It's obvious Riley lives by a code of decency, humility, respect and care for others. I couldn't care less if he got that way from attending church or from life experience. And I get a little tired of religious people pretending they possess some goodness unavailable to other people- that's nothing but pride and arrogance.

It's available to everyone. The arrogant are the ones that don't feels like they need anything other than themselves.

• Fire 2

Acting morally does not exist for a person who does not believe in a higher power; rather these people are following and imitating a behavior that has become acceptable in a society. Morality is a very philosophical idea - I mean you're talking about trying to distinguish what is good and bad human character. While all people display some form of character it may not be good or bad; therefore, in my opinion, you can't be faithless and talk about morality without being subjective - which defeats the purpose of talking about morality in the first place. Only when objectivity is involved can you have morality. Objectivity from something above humanity - ie. some higher power